Ballast Resistor

/ Ballast Resistor #1  

st3v3

Tractor
Ferguson TO-30
I'm confused on whether or not I have to use a ballast resistor on my TO30. It's been converted to 12 volt, instead of an Alternator I had the generator rebuilt for a 12 volt system, the guy at the shop also sold me a new regulator he said that would work with the generator they rebuilt. And it has a 12 volt coil, and 12 volt battery (negative ground) I just kept the starter 6volt.
So should I be using a ballast resistor?

/ Ballast Resistor #2  
I'm thinking yes. You may have to replace starter solenoid. Ford and others have a 4 terminal solenoid. S terminal goes to keyswitch. I terminal goes to ignition coil for a hotter spark during starter.

/ Ballast Resistor #3  
It is my understanding that "back in the day" many ignition coils were designed for six volts even after the automotive world switched to twelve volts in the fifties. The ballast resistor was used in the coil primary circuit to limit it to six volts. If you have a twelve volt coil you should have no issues without the ballast resistor. You may eventually need to procure a twelve volt starter.

/ Ballast Resistor #4  
Run, the switch position of run goes through a ballast resistor. Start position goes straight to distributor. Gives more voltage on start but runs on lower voltage letting the ignition last longer. They ran ballast resistor on vehicles until computers came along. Dodge had an actual resistor while Ford and GM had it built into ignition modules. If you don't believe me, call and ask for a resistor for an 85 dodge.

/ Ballast Resistor #5  
Ford used resistor wire before that. It had a thick insulation coating that was prone to breaking at the terminals. Had a lot of mechanics scratching their heads when the car would start then immediately die. Without the resistor, the coil would get hot enough to boil the oil inside or just burn out the primary winding. The resistor is there to save the coil.

/ Ballast Resistor #6  
Ford used resistor wire before that. It had a thick insulation coating that was prone to breaking at the terminals. Had a lot of mechanics scratching their heads when the car would start then immediately die. Without the resistor, the coil would get hot enough to boil the oil inside or just burn out the primary winding. The resistor is there to save the coil.

You mean before duraspark came out in 75? That first ignition module had five pins on the plug. 76 had only four, but the box would plug into either engine and work. I had a truck, ended up being two bad spark plugs on a 300 six. But, I changed the box first. Still had the original 75 model five pin box. They quit making that box in 1975. After I found the sparky problem, plugged original box back in. I still drive them trucks. Never had to walk or get towed in 40 years of driving them. I prefer the 1977.5 and older high boy 4x4 F250. I even drove one to Alaska pulling a 33' horse trailer loaded with dredge equipment, crossed the Yukon river and was in the Arctic circle.

/ Ballast Resistor #7  
I converted a 47 Willys Jeep to 12 volts. If i remember correctly, i placed the ballast resistor to provide 6 ish volts to the distributor and coil circuit. Turned over real quick and started almost instantly with a quick hit on the starter button. Oh and replaced the lights with 12 volt versions. :sneaky: