5th wheel hitch height?

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #1  

davo727

Silver Member
Hi, Wanted to ask -

With the 5th wheel plate level what is approx the height from the truck bed floor to the hitch plate surface or how many inches below the bedsides would be normal?

I got a used reese 20k dual pivot hitch but not the mounts. Thanks, Dave

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #3  
From bed to top of rail is 1 inch.
From bed to top of hitch while level is 17 inches.
From bed to top of truck bed is 18 3/4 inches.

So this puts the hitch ( when level ) 1 3/4 inches below truck sides.

This is for a Reese 16K.

Sorry no pics, wife or kids must have the digital camera.

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #4  
What's most critical is the attitude of the combined rig (level truck and trailer), then the clearance between the trailer body and the truck bed. From there, the trailer hitch adjustments and the truck hitch adjustments should make everything good.

FWIW, I had to have the axles "flipped" on our fifth wheel to provide enough gap to the bed on my 4X4 truck.

/ 5th wheel hitch height?
Cool , Thanks for the info guys. Im stuck at work and this is the only pic I have, saved from the CL ad that I bought it from.

Attachments

• 3k43o53p2ZZZZZZZZZ955ffd44ecfdb1d14f6.jpg
    3k43o53p2ZZZZZZZZZ955ffd44ecfdb1d14f6.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 396
   / 5th wheel hitch height? #6  
Cool , Thanks for the info guys. Im stuck at work and this is the only pic I have, saved from the CL ad that I bought it from.

Kind of hard to conclude from the photo, but you may be missing some parts. There are rails that bolt to the truck bed/frame. The hitch pins to the rails. They run "east/west" across the bed.

Also, you'll get all sorts of advice on fore/aft position. Just make sure the hitch pin sits 2-3 inches in front of your rear axle. Check the Reese site, they probably offer the installation instructions, or a phone call could get them.

/ 5th wheel hitch height?
Yeah, I know its missing the base, thats why I asked about normal height. Its different than that one you guys posted the pdf for. this thing is older and has a flat bottom.

I will mess with this after I finish a couple other projects, dont even have a 5th wheel trailer yet, just wanted to have the capability.

Right now im building a new neck for a 25 ft dually gooseneck trailer.

Thanks, Dave

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #8  
Yeah, I know its missing the base, thats why I asked about normal height. Its different than that one you guys posted the pdf for. this thing is older and has a flat bottom.

I will mess with this after I finish a couple other projects, dont even have a 5th wheel trailer yet, just wanted to have the capability.

Right now im building a new neck for a 25 ft dually gooseneck trailer.

Thanks, Dave

In that case Dave, it doesn't matter. The base should be close, or at the bed level. Is the hitch itself height adjustable? Mine has a number of holes to mount the upper frame to the lower. So do most trailers so you should be OK.

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #9  
For what it's worth, I changed trucks last week and installed a B&W goose neck hitch that hides in the floor. I took the king pin plate off my fifth wheel camper and made my own goose neck hitch. I also have a goose neck flat bed trailer and at times pull a goose neck round bale trailer. I didn't want two hitches like the last truck had and didn't want to tie up bed space with a fifth wheel hitch. The new (to me) truck is 57" to the top of the bed rail (unloaded) and the camper is only 55" when level. I am planning on doing the axle flip thing this week end. That will raise the trailer about 5" if I figure right.

Dan

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #10  
Be careful doing a axle flip. Most axles have a slight arc to them so that when a load is on them the wheels are perpendicular to the road. It will eat tires and be dangerous if this is done on some axle types.

Also, in some states its illegal to have the axles on the outside of the leaf springs. I guess they feel if something gives like a U bolt then the axle will be retained.

I would really think twice about doing a axle flip until you research it. I would put lift springs, lift blocks, or even better yet bigger tires and wheels before you go the cheap way and flip the axles.

Chris