5th wheel hitch height?

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #11  
What's most critical is the attitude of the combined rig (level truck and trailer), then the clearance between the trailer body and the truck bed. From there, the trailer hitch adjustments and the truck hitch adjustments should make everything good.

FWIW, I had to have the axles "flipped" on our fifth wheel to provide enough gap to the bed on my 4X4 truck.

Read my post above about axle flips. I know its done all the time but that does not make it right. Some axles are strait and flipping them is fine but the vast majority have a arch that needs to be taken into account.

Chris

/ 5th wheel hitch height?
I think he is reffering to moving the springs from under the axles to above the axle. That gets the height , the axle stays in its normal configuration.

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #13  
I think he is reffering to moving the springs from under the axles to above the axle. That gets the height , the axle stays in its normal configuration.

Right, got that. The problem is the axles have spring perches welded on. There is 2 ways to do this. One way and the wrong way is to simply flip the axle over putting the bow or arch in the axle the wrong way leaving the wheels not parallel to the road surface.

The right way is to either cut off the axle perches and re weld on 180deg from the stock position or buy new ones and weld on.

Chris

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #14  
One other thing I forgot to mention is if you are doing a axle flip either the right or wrong way make sure you remove the brakes and re-index them properly. Especially if you are now swapping sides left to right, ect.

Chris

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #15  
Right, got that. The problem is the axles have spring perches welded on. There is 2 ways to do this. One way and the wrong way is to simply flip the axle over putting the bow or arch in the axle the wrong way leaving the wheels not parallel to the road surface.

The right way is to either cut off the axle perches and re weld on 180deg from the stock position or buy new ones and weld on.

Chris

Dexter sells a kit to do just this. Axles sit in the normal position, only the springs are on top instead of below. There are new perches in the kit. It's pretty common for Ford and Dodge 4X4s pulling fifth wheels.

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #16  
Axle "flip" kit from Dexter.
DSC00231.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #17  
Yep, thats the way to do it right. Nice job.

If you look at the second picture with the axles laying in the gravel you can see the bow in them.

Chris

/ 5th wheel hitch height? #18  
You guys all beat me to the reply about the Dexter Kit. That is what I plan on doing. I don't plan on pulling the axles clear out. Just unbolt the spring on both ends and leave the tires on the axle under the trailer. I lowered my flat bed by doing the reverse of this project. I turned the trailer upside down to make it easier. I don't think I will try it with the camper.

Thanks
Dan

Last edited: