60" Grapple Build

/ 60" Grapple Build #1  

Whitbread

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey 1740M
After dragging my feet too long, I've decided it's time for a grapple. I can't justify paying $2500+ for picking up logs and I own a fab shop, so let's build one!

I modeled it all up tonight and have the mechanics worked out. I'll use 1.5"x6" cylinders which will give more than enough clamp force for anything I should be working with. All the DXF files are sent off to be cnc plasma cut in town while I'm on family vacation for the next 2 weeks. Finished weight looks to be about 315lbs before the quick attach plate. No, it's not as "heavy duty" as some commercially available units out there, but it doesn't weigh 650lbs either. I have 1940lbs lift on the new to me Massey 1740M and I don't want to kill the lifting capacity. I'm confident it will be more than up to my needed tasks. Updates will come quickly when I get back!

1649389553307.png

1649389683465.png

/ 60" Grapple Build #2  
Great stuff. Just to keep you keen, here's mine that I built last year. Best thing I have ever made and gets more use than I thought it would. Steel and hydraulic components aren't cheap, but I saved myself about about 60% of the price of the very few commercial units available here.
Oh and the loader has had a respray since this photo.

Attachments

• grapple done.jpg
    grapple done.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 240
   / 60" Grapple Build #3  
Great stuff. Just to keep you keen, here's mine that I built last year. Best thing I have ever made and gets more use than I thought it would. Steel and hydraulic components aren't cheap, but I saved myself about about 60% of the price of the very few commercial units available here.
Did you CNC cut your parts yourself?

/ 60" Grapple Build
Very nice work! I see you went for a much shorter lower tine size, have you ever wished they were longer? What is your primary use for it?

Did you CNC cut your parts yourself?
No, I'm having all the tines and cylinder brackets cnc plasma cut in town by a friendly business that does all my cnc plasma, laser, and waterjet work. They will come out much nicer than if I did it by hand with my plasma cutter!

/ 60" Grapple Build #5  
I've never learned to use CAD, never had the time...a friend turned my pencil sketches into CAD files which I emailed to a laser cutter and picked up the components 3 days later. First time I have had laser cutting done. Amazing to see your pencil ideas transformed into real steel parts like magic.
I made mine mostly for picking up branches for the burn pile when cutting firewood or felling trees around my property and am very happy I went with this style. It is incredibly versatile, I unloaded a trailer full of 310UB joists last week- that's 12" RSJ if you prefer. Can pick up all the debris from a felled tree and then pick up the 24" logs and put them on a pile. Then I can wander across and pick up my wife's garden prunings off the lawn. No-one with a FEL should be without a grapple.
Sorry for the hijack; I should do a thread on my build too. Keen to watch this one take shape.

/ 60" Grapple Build #6  
So this is just a 2 week tease?

/ 60" Grapple Build #7  
It isn't a hijack when you add something of value to the subject. For one thing, you've shown it can be done. For another thing, your experience is very valuable to anyone else interested in trying to build their own grapple. Even the choice of how long to make the tines is something that has to be decided.

I just recently went through the experience of shopping for grapples. It seemed like there were some lightweight grapples that looked good, except there were also videos on Youtube about these particular units getting bent.

On the other hand, I found a less expensive unit made of 3/8 material that looks more sturdy, but is heavier than I like, but I haven't haven't even used it yet to have the experience to form an actual opinion.

So to me, there are some interesting tradeoffs to be made between a unit being simple but heavy vs how far you can go in reducing weight by using thinner material, cutting holes where you can, and adding extra bracing requiring more fabrication and welding.

/ 60" Grapple Build #8  
Not all steel is created equal. Makes a big difference comparing weight VS strength.

/ 60" Grapple Build #9  
I admire folks who have ability to create their own tools. I never possessed such qualities or access to facilities.

/ 60" Grapple Build
So this is just a 2 week tease?
Yup, sorry! Got back from vacation today and had two boxes waiting :). The 2 hydraulic rams and the WR 3rd function kit for the massey 1740m (that I'll hopefully go pickup in 2ish weeks).

Time to go over to the neighbors to nest the dxf files on his plasma table software to see how big of a piece of plate I need.

IMG_20220424_203007916.jpg