6168 CPS first 50 hours

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours #1  

3Lfarms

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XU6168CPS and Farmall F-20
Got the first 50 hours under my belt and the tractor is working great. No problems whatsoever thus far. It had its first regeneration at 48.5 hours. The first 25 or so hours was mostly idling and light loader work that never got it hot. A day of mowing with the ditch mower made it work for its supper and the temp would sit on the middle line of the gauge. Normally the temp gauge sits below that. I found that at full PTO rpm(or more) it uses about 2 gallons an hour mowing. If I back the RPMS down about 200 under PTO speed, it uses much less fuel.

Thus far I have added an LED light bar on top and some LED work lights to the rear, a Bluetooth radio and upgraded the speakers to 5 1/4s. It sounds really good now.
I filled the rear tires with WW fluid. That took about 60 gallons per tire and gives around 800 lbs.
At this point I honestly can't think of any complaints and I have spent about 25 hours in the last two weekends mowing and dragging the old Ford subsoiler around my 10 acre field to get it ready to seed about 6 weeks from now.
Anyway, now I have to do the 50 hour service. We'll see how that goes.
Here is a picture with exactly 50 hours on the clock.
IMG_1471.JPG

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours #2  
Thanks for sharing. You should share some of your light bar pictures at night :D

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours
I was going to use it the other night, and before it got really dark, I broke my last shear bolt for the subsoiler. Then I gave up and went inside. I have never driven it at night to see what it is like.

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours #4  
3Lfarms, how would a single tooth subsoiler work for cutting roots and removing small(2-6") tree stumps? Our trees have no taproots and the roots they do have are right below the surface. Sounds like a subsoiler may be less work than digging out with a backhoe.

I don't really know since I don't have any trees or big rocks. My three point hitch will lift over 4K lbs, so I do think if it couldn't cut through, it should lift it up.

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours #6  
Thanks for the reply, 3Lfarms. I try to work smarter and since I'm new to the tractor scene, other people's opinions and experiences are very valuable to me. At any rate, a subsoiler looks to be a very useful implement and will be added to my wish list.

I’m am going to keep adding to this thread since info is hard to come by on these larger LS machines.
Yesterday was the first good freeze, and it was in the high 20 s when I started her up yesterday morning. Apparently, there is a temperature sensor somewhere that prevents the power shuttle from going into gear when it’s cold. The neutral (N) light just flashes. That was the first time I had encountered that. There isn’t anything in the manual about it. After letting it idle for about 2 minutes, then bumping it up to about 1400 RPM for another 5 minutes and the light went to staying on steady and was ready to allow it to shift into gear.
The manual does talk about warm up times based on temperature. Between 30 and 50 degrees, it said idle it for 10 minutes before going to work. When it’s really cold, the manual said up to 30 minutes might be required. It just never mentions that it won’t allow you to put in in gear. No big deal. Just start it up and go back inside for a few minutes.

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours #8  
Got the first 50 hours under my belt and the tractor is working great. No problems whatsoever thus far. It had its first regeneration at 48.5 hours. The first 25 or so hours was mostly idling and light loader work that never got it hot. A day of mowing with the ditch mower made it work for its supper and the temp would sit on the middle line of the gauge. Normally the temp gauge sits below that. I found that at full PTO rpm(or more) it uses about 2 gallons an hour mowing. If I back the RPMS down about 200 under PTO speed, it uses much less fuel.

Thus far I have added an LED light bar on top and some LED work lights to the rear, a Bluetooth radio and upgraded the speakers to 5 1/4s. It sounds really good now.
I filled the rear tires with WW fluid. That took about 60 gallons per tire and gives around 800 lbs.
At this point I honestly can't think of any complaints and I have spent about 25 hours in the last two weekends mowing and dragging the old Ford subsoiler around my 10 acre field to get it ready to seed about 6 weeks from now.
Anyway, now I have to do the 50 hour service. We'll see how that goes.
Here is a picture with exactly 50 hours on the clock.
View attachment 521355
That is a good looking tractor. Enjoy

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours #9  
I’m am going to keep adding to this thread since info is hard to come by on these larger LS machines.
Yesterday was the first good freeze, and it was in the high 20 s when I started her up yesterday morning. Apparently, there is a temperature sensor somewhere that prevents the power shuttle from going into gear when it’s cold. The neutral (N) light just flashes. That was the first time I had encountered that. There isn’t anything in the manual about it. After letting it idle for about 2 minutes, then bumping it up to about 1400 RPM for another 5 minutes and the light went to staying on steady and was ready to allow it to shift into gear.
The manual does talk about warm up times based on temperature. Between 30 and 50 degrees, it said idle it for 10 minutes before going to work. When it’s really cold, the manual said up to 30 minutes might be required. It just never mentions that it won’t allow you to put in in gear. No big deal. Just start it up and go back inside for a few minutes.

On my LS7030 CPS it will go into gear with the flashing (N) and operate but the manual says don’t run it hard. On really cold days (below freezing) a red light that looks something like a gear will come on also. The manual says not to operate the tractor under load while the red light is on, but can take over 30 minutes to warm up and for the light to go off.

Not sure if the operating differences are tied to the regeneration cycle on the newer tractor or not. Be safe and have fun.

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours #10  
3Lfarms does your tractor have a lever on the outside by the 3pt arms to raise and lower the arms from the outside ? If so could you post a picture of the linkage ? My XU6158C doesn't have the lever want to see if the lever will work with my linkage. Thank You