6168 CPS first 50 hours

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours #21  
Hey Doofy Iam in your backyard. I can only imagine how much it cost you to get your LS. Beautiful day up here today. Mt McKinley Wilderness Lodge

Very nice. Welcome. Hope you enjoy your vacation.

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours #22  
3Lfarms, I am looking seriously at the XU6168CPS with Backhoe. I was hoping to pick your brain a little specifically regarding the cab?

I have decided not sacrifice my comfort anymore, and considering the wonderfully changing Michigan weather conditions coupled with the need to use the tractor year around, leaves me with only one option, a cab tractor.

I originally set out to find a XR4155HC, and fortunately for me an LS dealer 30 minutes from my house happened to have one, so I set off on my journey to said dealer with high hopes of potentially laying hands on my future tractor.

Upon arrival, I did a quick tire kicking walk around, and then climbed up into the cab, and this is when it was made abruptly obvious to me that we had serious problems.

I instantly felt like a 500lb.gorilla riding a tricycle, I thought this can't be, so I went about trying to adjust the seat and tilt wheel, but unfortunately, to no avail...

The good lord blessed me with a 6'2" 270lb. frame, not exactly an oversized frame by some standards, but the good lords joke came in the proportions he blessed me with, I am all legs and arms. And to put it mildly, there was no way this set up was going to work for me, I couldn't begin to even operate the hydro pedals configuration, not with the gear lever jammed into my knee. I was really uncomfortable, the salesman was 6'1", and had a normal length lower torso and fit just fine.

What a shame, because it is such a nice tractor, but I simply don't fit...

So I head on down the row of tractors, and laid my eyes upon a XU6168-ROPS, so I climbed on up, sat down, and holy smokes what a difference for me, the 6168 fits me like a glove, I liked everything about it. The only problem is, no dealership within 150 miles of me has one for me to try out, and the two dealerships closest to me have never ordered a XU6168CPS, so they weren't much help answering a few of my questions, this is where I am in hopes you could lend your knowledge...

The dealership wasn't certain about the dimensions of the cab, it certainly looks a bit larger than the XR4100 series in the pictures I've seen, and the more elbow room the better in my case. Have you ever sat in a XR4100 series cab, how does it compare? Are you comfortable in the 6168 cab? How well does the heat and a/c work?

How well do you like the Power Shuttle? I was on the fence about getting a Hydro or Standard Shuttle in the 4100, the Hydro made me a bit nervous because of some ankle issues I suffer from, but the Power Shuttle seems like it might be the best of both worlds, especially when doing a lot of loader work? Has this been your experience?

I without a doubt would never consider ordering a tractor without first laying hands on it, and I fully intend to make the journey no matter the distance to do just that. Problem is, with my work schedule, I am left with Saturday as my only option for a tire kicking road trip, and my next several are booked up. And not knowing about the cab size and comfort level is quite frankly, driving me nuts. So if you could shed some light on the subject I would be grateful....

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours
The XU cab is bigger than the XR tractors. The two nearest dealers had never sold a 6168 before I bought mine. While I liked those machines, I just needed more hp and lift capacity. I got ahold of the LS area rep and he pointed me to a dealer about 250 miles away that had sold a few. I scheduled an appointment and went and drove one. I knew I liked everything about the tractor from the brochure, but I wasn’t willing to order one sight unseen. Once I drove one, I knew I would order one.

I am 6’3” and 300 lbs, and I sit very comfortably. It takes quite a bit of cranking on the seat tension knob, but it holds me up just fine. When I sit down, the seat compresses about an inch. I have never bottomed it out.
My height is mostly in my torso, but I think you will fit fine. My BIL is 6’9” and he drives it with no problems.

In the 6168 you only have the options of the shuttle shift or power shuttle. The shuttle is basically a geared tractor. I never drove one. The power shuttle is a geared tractor and you can operate it just like one, but the computer can operate the clutch for for you. The only time you must depress the clutch is to start the engine. After that, you pick your range and gear, then flip the shuttle to forward, and after a second it takes off nice and smooth. There is also the ground engagement mode where when you move the shuttle switch, it will engage the clutch much faster and harder. This is designed to wear the clutch less, but it’s a bit rougher on the operator. One thing to be aware of is even though you push the clutch in, the computer is really in charge. If you ride the clutch, after about 5 seconds it will beep at you, and if you don’t either let the clutch out all the way, or depress it all the way, the computer WILL disengage the clutch to save it from burning up prematurely. Then even if you let the clutch out, it will still be disengaged. If you are on a hill when it’s happens, you will start rolling until you hit the brakes. It never a concern until you ride the clutch while driving it...say onto a trailer. You really just have to pick a gear, flip the lever, and go with it. You can’t accelerate on the fly like you can with a hydrostat trans. Loader work will take slightly longer since you either have to wait for the computerized clutch to change direction, or you can manually clutch it.
I don’t do a lot of loader work, but you get used to it. Don’t rush it and it works fine. Doing precise work is time consuming since you have to creep up on stuff (like pallets or implements) so you don’t run into them.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

I just made a video. It is uploading now, so I should get it posted this evening. It ended up much longer than I anticipated at 26 minutes. I think it will answer all of your questions.

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours #25  
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions, it's good to hear a larger framed person will fit comfortably into the cab. If I understand correctly you can still operate it like a standard shuttle shift tractor via the clutch, but you mentioned the need to creep up slowly when doing more precise work, I assume you accomplish this buy using the clutch?

Again thank you for your time, I look forward to watching your video...

That is exactly right. It works very well, but it’s just not as fast or convenient when doing precise loader work.
One of the benefits over a hydro would be more efficient power transfer to the wheels and PTO.

The YouTube video may take a few days until I can get to a faster WiFi connection. It is saying it’s going to take like 15 hours to upload.

/ 6168 CPS first 50 hours #27  
Yikes, 15hrs. to upload, I applaud your efforts and certainly appreciate it and look forward to getting a closer look at your tractor. I have scoured the interweb, and there just isn't a lot of video content to be had out there.....

I have been a truck driver for over 28 years, so obviously clutch work isn't going to be an issue, but I am definitely intrigued by the power shuttle. I will be clearing 9 acres of flat dense woods and brush, I am seriously opening up the land, so that will be one of the tasks at hand with the new tractor. I have a few years before I will be building a home on the property, so I have plenty of time to get the job done.

I am curious as to to how well the power shuttle would perform in such an environment, I now a hydrostatic would be easier, but I don't mind keeping my hands and feet moving. Obviously I will be using a brush hog, grapple, and possibly a Danuser Intimidator attachment.

I know the 6168 is a decent sized tractor, but it's size really doesn't concern me as much as comfort does.

I just took the loader off for the first time because I have some close quarters box blade and post hole digger work to do. It took all of five minutes.
Not having to worry about the loader hanging out front makes using the box blade much nicer.
Image1527555228.628453.jpg

Steelmastif, to answer your question about the heat and a/c, they both work great. In 100 degree temps, the a/c works great. It’s just like a car, they both work best with the engine RPMs higher than 1500 or so. The engine warms up just fine. The hydraulics are what takes some time to warm up, but on a 20 degree morning, it didn’t take long for me to have to take off my jacket and start turning the heat down. I am in a very dry climate, so the windows rarely ever fog up, but when they do, I just point the vents at the glass, turn the heat on, and push the a/c button and the windows will clear quickly.
It can take up to 30 minutes to warm the tractor and hydraulics up enough to go to work in single digit temps. In MI, I would insist on a block heater for the engine to help it warm up faster. It should start fine without any pre heat assistance at 0 degrees though. I don’t never bother with waiting for the glow plugs until it’s cold. It starts fine without them.