7’ and 8’ dual spindle cutters I’m considering-input welcome :)

/ 7’ and 8’ dual spindle cutters I’m considering-input welcome :) #1  

Sandroost

Tractor
TYM574HST now. Previously Kubota M5700, Ford 2000
I’ve been surfing what’s out there for a dual spindle cutter in the 7-8’ range. This will be behind a TYM 574/FEL with 44.7 claimed PTO hp and around 3000# lift 24” behind link ends. My primary reason for looking at dual spindles is to keep the length behind me minimized to 7-8’, as opposed to same width single spindles being very unwieldy at 11-12’ long! Multiple horse paddocks to be mowed, with occasional downed limb munching and the Bahia gets out of control at times- too few horses for the acreage. LOL Finish mower wouldn’t be up to the task.

I may have narrowed my choices to the following in lift type, but open to other suggestions I may have overlooked. The BH SQ 84T has been discontinued or it would be on the list as well. Seems any other double spindle 8’a get quite heavy and require more hp. And there are only two ds 7’out there- listed below. Again, sticking to lift types for maneuverability sake.

Iron Craft/Titan 1808

Bush Hog 2107

LandPride RCD1884

The LP is kinda weird being offset 10” to the right but I think it might be nice to see more easily just where that side is, unless I forget about the asymmetry and smack things with it thinking it’s the other side LOL

The IC/Titan and BH are 1200# and significantly heavier built than the LP at 900#. The LP tip speed is significantly lower at 11700 fps vs a good 15.5-16000 for the Titan and BH respectively.
The Titan is the only 8’er I’ve considered (due to weight and hp), but hp requirements seem adequate*. The BH and LP and require less because they’re only 7’.
The BH has a single wheel and may be “tippy”, whereas the Titan and LP have two.

Probably least important is the IC/Titan may be considered an off brand, but I could care less as long as it performs reliably. Bush Hog and Landpride are almost household names, which you have to pay for.

So if any have been down this road and/or would like to offer up any insight or opinion that would be much appreciated :)

Last edited:
   / 7’ and 8’ dual spindle cutters I’m considering-input welcome :) #2  
I’ve been surfing what’s out there for a dual spindle cutter in the 7-8’ range. This will be behind a TYM 574/FEL with 44.7 claimed PTO hp and around 3000# lift 24” behind link ends. My primary reason for looking at dual spindles is to keep the length behind me minimized to 7-8’, as opposed to same width single spindles being very unwieldy at 11-12’ long! Multiple horse paddocks to be mowed, with occasional downed limb munching and the Bahia gets out of control at times- too few horses for the acreage. LOL Finish mower wouldn’t be up to the task.

I may have narrowed my choices to the following in lift type, but open to other suggestions I may have overlooked. The BH SQ 84T has been discontinued or it would be on the list as well. Seems any other double spindle 8’a get quite heavy and require more hp. And there are only two ds 7’out there- listed below. Again, sticking to lift types for maneuverability sake.

Iron Craft/Titan 1808

Bush Hog 2107

LandPride RCD1884

The LP is kinda weird being offset 10” to the right but I think it might be nice to see more easily just where that side is, unless I forget about the asymmetry and smack things with it thinking it’s the other side LOL

The IC/Titan and BH are 1200# and significantly heavier built than the LP at 900#. The LP tip speed is significantly lower at 11700 fps vs a good 15.5-16000 for the Titan and BH respectively.
The Titan is the only 8’er I’ve considered (due to weight and hp), but hp requirements seem adequate*. The BH and LP and require less because they’re only 7’.
The BH has a single wheel and may be “tippy”, whereas the Titan and LP have two.

Proabably least important is the IC/Titan May be considered an off brand, but it could care less as long as it performs reliably. Bush Hog and Landpride are almost household names, which you have to pay for.

So if any have been down this road and/or would like to offer up any insight or opinion that would be much appreciated :)
I have the LandPride RCD1884 running behind my Kioti DK4510 Manual Shuttle w/42 ptoHP for the last year and a half (see profile pic). I have been very happy with it. You WILL smack a barn door or something at least once before getting used to the offset but then you will come to appreciate how the left side runs right along the rear tire where you would expect it so you don't have to keep looking back. One thing to appreciate about the offset is that I have a couple of steep banks that I can't mow, so I have to weed eat them. This allows me to ride the top of the hill and let the cutter swing down the bank a couple of feet so there is less trimming to do. It also allows me to mow close to the edge of the field and have the cutter get under some of the brush. The dual tail wheels help prevent scalping if you have slopes or weird contours to deal with.

You do quickly get used to the offset and find ways to use it to your advantage. It just might take a couple of whacks first. :ROFLMAO:

/ 7’ and 8’ dual spindle cutters I’m considering-input welcome :)
Thanks for that and I hear ya Jay. And I can totally see the utility in the offset, as in circling clockwise around trees nice and tight without getting your tractor wheels all up in there. Once you've figured out your radiuses/limitations of course LOL

/ 7’ and 8’ dual spindle cutters I’m considering-input welcome :) #4  
We just sold our 7 ft woods single spindle. It cut really well but was a pain trying to turn around and very heavy out back.We used it on a massey 255 and it handled it with ease, I think a dual spindle 7 or 8 ft would be fine behind that tractor.

/ 7’ and 8’ dual spindle cutters I’m considering-input welcome :) #5  
I have the Land Pride RCD1884 running behind my Kubota M5660 and I'm very happy with it. I like the offset for getting close to fences. It runs nice and quiet and leaves a decent finish. Don't back over saplings with it or you'll bend the skirt on the back.

Last edited:
   / 7’ and 8’ dual spindle cutters I’m considering-input welcome :) #6  
I have the Land Pride RCD1884 running behind my Kubota M5660 and I'm very happy with it. I like the offset for getting close to fences. It runs nice and quiet and leaves a decent finish. Don't back over saplings with it our you'll bend the skirt on the back.
Good advice, never tried that but this is a light to medium duty mower. I use it to mow pasture and treat more like a heavy finish mower. I have a regular brush cutter for doing trails and rough mowing.

Last edited:
   / 7’ and 8’ dual spindle cutters I’m considering-input welcome :) #7  
I would not call the Titan an off brand. If I remember right they started in 2014, so been in the game for a good bit, made in Tennessee with a good warranty that they stand behind.
I've used their 1200 series cutters and was impressed. In my opinion its best bang for your buck but that's my 2 cents.
I'm sure the BH and LP will perform just fine.

I'm still waiting for a quote on a Titan, but despite being 1' larger I'm thinking it may come in under the BH @7K, maybe even the LP @6K. Yes, cutter prices are nuts!
Might be leaning Titan also because it should be able to pull both mowing and brush cutting duty.
I did get a 72" Titan grapple with my tractor- pretty reasonably to boot.

/ 7’ and 8’ dual spindle cutters I’m considering-input welcome :) #9  
I'm still waiting for a quote on a Titan, but despite being 1' larger I'm thinking it may come in under the BH @7K, maybe even the LP @6K. Yes, cutter prices are nuts!
Might be leaning Titan also because it should be able to pull both mowing and brush cutting duty.
I did get a 72" Titan grapple with my tractor- pretty reasonably to boot.

??? That is nuts...

1663159592632.png

Ha! Thanks for the insight! Got that for BH or Titan?🤔 Guessing that was you invoice last year.

Ironically, my local LP dealer says they’re not even in production with that model right now. But a dealer in Texas has two. And I’m in Florida😂