7-7-2008 finnaly got 1st cutting

/ 7-7-2008 finnaly got 1st cutting #31  
xcsp said:
Well sammyd I am not you and do not want to be like you either, the tractor I have works just fine thank-you ,I will try to get another tractor as soon as possible to please you :D

you have a great day
Greg

I tell ya - many times we can do with smaller but it can take a lot more time. As long as it is safe - get after it.

D.

/ 7-7-2008 finnaly got 1st cutting #32  
For the last 3 years, we have used our JD 3720 to do the tedding and raking. We even used it to cut one field with a 1209 moco. The ONLY problem we have with it is that the physical size of the tractor is too small. We can't lift the equipment to clear the windrows with the top link extended all the way out but hey, once out in the field, there is rarely ever a reason to lift the equipment. 35HP is plenty for that kind of work. Why use our 5425 or TN65 when your just burning more fuel then what you actually have to with the price of diesel nowadays?

/ 7-7-2008 finnaly got 1st cutting #33  
Wildcat Ranch said:
For the last 3 years, we have used our JD 3720 to do the tedding and raking. We even used it to cut one field with a 1209 moco. The ONLY problem we have with it is that the physical size of the tractor is too small. Can't lift the equipment off the ground but hey, once out in the field, all you do it extend the top link all the way out and off you go!! 35HP is plenty for that kind of equipment. Why use our 5425 or TN65 when your just burning more fuel then what you actually have to with the price of diesel nowadays?
The contractor I've been working for needs to start thinking in this way.
I've been driving a tractor with a post basher on the back, knocking in fencing stakes. Takes one person to drive and one to operate the hydraulic controls and put the stakes under the hammer.

The thing could easily work on a 60HP tractor, its been behind a 165HP John Deere all this week - an absolute total waste of HP.

Glad I'm not responsible for filling it up (ï½£400ish for Red Diesel)

/ 7-7-2008 finnaly got 1st cutting #34  
Now I have no idea what I'm talkin about and I've never done it, or anything else for that matter but nevertheless, without any experience, you just can't be serious about using a 165 hp tractor to drive in match stick posts. You need a 500hp Fendt to that, minimum. Read that in a book once, maybe at a dealership. All the couch butts on this post seem to be devoid of practical experience, either too much book learning or not enough, I can't figure it. Just because one person can bale with a 27 hp tractor does'nt mean we all can. Heck, I used to use a 22hp tractor to run a baler. Maybe it was a typo, could it have really been 220 hp? That would explain how I afforded to pay for better equipment every year from the profits of selling baled weeds. I should have held out for the Fendt first, then never got off the toilet to use it, and of course lost the house when the money got all used up buying the 48" snow plow for use down here in Florida. They told me I needed one of them, too.

Man I need to get outside once in a while...

/ 7-7-2008 finnaly got 1st cutting #35  
For me its the pain of beating a compact around a rough field trying to rake or ted in a hurry vs a decent sized tractor. Doesn't have to be high hp, but utility tractors have longer wheelbase and bigger tires for a better ride.

Wildcat Ranch said:
Why use our 5425 or TN65 when your just burning more fuel then what you actually have to with the price of diesel nowadays?

/ 7-7-2008 finnaly got 1st cutting #36  
slowzuki said:
For me its the pain of beating a compact around a rough field trying to rake or ted in a hurry vs a decent sized tractor. Doesn't have to be high hp, but utility tractors have longer wheelbase and bigger tires for a better ride.

I hear you.. You have to buckle in if your going to attempt 4MPH through some of our rougher fields but through the few fields that we have worked recently, its pretty smooth doing 5MPH. We bought the 3720 mainly for barn chores and all the other little things around here. We have had it now for about 3 years and the last time I checked, it had over 600 hours. The bigger guys sit most of the time except when needed.

/ 7-7-2008 finnaly got 1st cutting #37  
Grrrr said:
The contractor I've been working for needs to start thinking in this way.
I've been driving a tractor with a post basher on the back, knocking in fencing stakes. Takes one person to drive and one to operate the hydraulic controls and put the stakes under the hammer.

The thing could easily work on a 60HP tractor, its been behind a 165HP John Deere all this week - an absolute total waste of HP.

Glad I'm not responsible for filling it up (」400ish for Red Diesel)

If I had to do it over, I would have gotten a 4120 instead of a 4720. The extra horsepower isn't needed. I think the 4120 e-hydro is one of the best all around tractors. I use our 4720 for all kinds of stuff. It is tall enough for raking hay.

D.

/ 7-7-2008 finnaly got 1st cutting #38  
Grrrr said:
Glad I'm not responsible for filling it up (」400ish for Red Diesel)

I just had 250 gallons of red diesel delivered for $4.37 a gallon........

/ 7-7-2008 finnaly got 1st cutting #39  
We are at 1.60$/L so 6.048$/USgal right now. I get it for 5.35$/USgal after my sales tax rebate.

If I paid 250$ I could get about another bit, but would also have to keep fuel logs for all vehicles.

/ 7-7-2008 finnaly got 1st cutting #40  
zzvyb6 said:
Now I have no idea what I'm talkin about and I've never done it, or anything else for that matter but nevertheless, without any experience, you just can't be serious about using a 165 hp tractor to drive in match stick posts. You need a 500hp Fendt to that, minimum. Read that in a book once, maybe at a dealership.

I totally agree, it is a silly waste of HP. Half because the smaller tractor wasn't around when we first hitched up and no one could be bothered to swap the banger onto the other tractor.

But I'm not actually complaining, cause its **** nice in the 6830s cab. Still haven't figured out how to get games onto the computer thingy though :p

And we just finished this morning, so I'm off to detach it now.

Also, we were banging in some match sticks - but we can also bang in 12" gate posts :eek: Takes 1/10th the time of digging them in, and there in much stronger.