753 Starting Issues

/ 753 Starting Issues #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
I though I might have a bad battery. Grounds and cable ends are clean and tight. But sometimes the rig will not start. Turn the key to start, the display go blank, and nothing happens. Usually a charger will bring it around and it fires right up. I was thinking this could be a dead cell.

Lately, the machine will start, but shut off as soon as it catches. When it does this, I watched the display stay lit through cranking, engine catches, the display go totally blank, the engine dies, seconds later the display lights back up. This has happened a couple times.

So now, rather than a dead cell in the battery, I wonder if a connection between the cab and the body may be loose or corroded. Any thoughts to this? Is there any common wiring issues with these that may be causing this?

Thanks!

/ 753 Starting Issues
So I put a new battery in the machine this past weekend with no better results. This time the machine would not start off of the key. It did start by turning the key to run, and jumping the terminals on the starter solenoid. Started and ran just fine for an hour or so. Park the machine, and would not re-start with the key.

I have not been able to narrow it down yet, but it seems like a maybe a sensor that inhibits starting (P-brake, lap bar, etc) or a faulty key switch.

Does anyone have any insight to this? I think I'll try to download the service manual, but thought someone might have run into this issue before.

/ 753 Starting Issues #3  
We have that from time to time on the 454 TBI motorhome. So far it has always been where the negative battery cable connects to the chassis. I can loosen it and wiggle it and retighten the nut and be OK. Not sure where your lack of power is at but it sounds like it is OK to the solenoid.

/ 753 Starting Issues
I checked the ground and positive cables and they are clean and tight. From other interweb searches, it could be a plug issue between the cab and frame. I plan on lifting the cab and checking that plug.

/ 753 Starting Issues
Well, the plug was not the culprit, but I was able to find the problem. I had my father turn the key, while I traced back the ignition wires. We found the two 20 amp relays at the back were clicking, but somehow not working. I unplugged them and re-plugged them with no result, but when I switched them, the machine fired right up. I ran it for a while and started and re-started without issue.

I'll pick up a couple of new relays at some point.

BTW- I just bought some new Bradco forks. Really happy with them.

/ 753 Starting Issues #6  
Thanks for sharing your fix with us. Always happy to hear a solution was found and what was done to correct it.
It's going to help someone in the future........Good job!