855 PTO slipping

/ 855 PTO slipping #1  

RickYuke

Tractor
John Deere 855
Seems my pto both mid and rear start to slow down when loaded. the electrical part works properly. Looks like the PTO clutch is worn. Any body know if I have to take out the differential or can the PTO clutch be pulled out around it. The manual has me pulling the whole transaxle off the tractor. Any help or advice?
Thanks from Moose Jaw Saskatchewan

/ 855 PTO slipping #2  
Rick
Cannot answer your question directly. Looking in my service tech manual that covers the 855, there are several sections devoted to the operation, linkage adjustment, and PTO clutch repair.. including the PTO brake.
Makes me wonder if the slow down might be a brake involved from linkage adjustment.

Send a PM to member joecdeere to see if a copy of the service tech manual might be in his files. He has been more than helpful to others in need of service manuals but don't know if the 855 is in his stash.

/ 855 PTO slipping #3  
855 PTO System Operation.png

/ 855 PTO slipping
Found out the problem. The pto clutch piston housing was cracked along the keyway around to the face. The replacement part appears to be machined from a solid piece of steel. (This was hard to find) The original was a machined casting. About $1000 in parts did the job myself. You do need some mechanical ability. You have to pull transaxle. Took lots of photos so I would know where things went.

/ 855 PTO slipping #5  
Besides the new piston and all the gaskets & seals, what other parts did you replace to bring the tally up to $1000

/ 855 PTO slipping
Living in Canada. JD parts are even more expensive here. I replaced all the clutch discs both metal and composite. The discs were all just within specification so replaced them while I had it apart. Also the composite discs had pitting on the faces.

/ 855 PTO slipping #7  
Personally, I would love to see the pics. I have a 955 that had a similar problem. I was going to do the same thing and rebuild the PTO clutch. Then I came across another 955 that was complete from the operators station back for $400. I decided to just put my front axle, engine/rad and fuel tank onto this other back-half to make a complete tractor. I couldn't even buy the parts to rebuild the PTO for $400, let alone the many hours of labor to pull the transaxle, and replace everything