9" trenching bucket vs 6"

/ 9" trenching bucket vs 6" #21  
I have a heavy duty plastic tow-able cart, that is the perfect height to load with the backhoe.

I then dump the dirt in the garden, and then use the front end loader, to move it back to the hole when I back fill.

That way, I can just put enough dirt in the trench to fill where the hole is. I drive over it, and add more as necessary for a several weeks, as it settles.

If I pile the dirt next to the hole as I dig, and use the loader to pull it back over the hole, (the traditional way), I end up with a pile of dirt killing a strip of grass, about 24" wide, rather than just the 10"width of the hole.

It is a little more work, but it looks a lot less unsightly. I much prefer it to the big long mole hill of dirt, I would be looking at and mowing around, for weeks.

/ 9" trenching bucket vs 6" #22  
If I pile the dirt next to the hole as I dig, and use the loader to pull it back over the hole, (the traditional way), I end up with a pile of dirt killing a strip of grass, about 24" wide, rather than just the 10"width of the hole.
I don't plan on leaving the trench open long enough for a little dirt to matter.
It is a little more work, but it looks a lot less unsightly. I much prefer it to the big long mole hill of dirt, I would be looking at and mowing around, for weeks.
OH THE HUMANITY!!!! DIRT!!! Outside ... on the lawn!!!! Ewwwwww!!!!!

/ 9" trenching bucket vs 6" #23  
I’m usually working new construction where it doesn’t matter but if I was concerned I’d definitely switch from my 24” bucket to the 16”. If I was more concerned than that I’d use a ditch witch. Going with a smaller bucket than that just isn’t worth the effort IMO.

/ 9" trenching bucket vs 6" #24  
Hahahaha, you should see mine after a couple of hundred trips in different directions over the last few days moving 5 truckloads of dirt. What isn't matted down and crushed by tire tracks is covered with dirt that has yet to be raked out. There ain't much grass showing, let alone standing up.

/ 9" trenching bucket vs 6" #25  
I知 usually working new construction where it doesn稚 matter but if I was concerned I壇 definitely switch from my 24 bucket to the 16? If I was more concerned than that I壇 use a ditch witch. Going with a smaller bucket than that just isn稚 worth the effort IMO.

I get that. And, I don't expect anyone who is trying to make a living doing this to do it differently.

My point is, I'm also going to do what is in my best interest. And, that it is sometimes possible to dig with very minimal impact.

/ 9" trenching bucket vs 6" #26  
I can definitely understand a homeowner not using a trencher but if ground destruction is important you can’t beat this. I can shove that dirt back in with the blade without much damage to the grass. If you really cared like a lot the powdered dirt isn’t much work to backfill by hand. I’m with digging it that making a million trips moving dirt is harder on the grass than just putting it beside it. IMG_9045.JPGIMG_9043.JPG

/ 9" trenching bucket vs 6" #27  
Hahahaha, you should see mine after a couple of hundred trips in different directions over the last few days moving 5 truckloads of dirt. What isn't matted down and crushed by tire tracks is covered with dirt that has yet to be raked out. There ain't much grass showing, let alone standing up.

After years of moving dirt, planting, feeding, and and landscaping, I finally got it all so it looks good.

And, I'm tired. So, I really don't want to do any of it over. :thumbsup:

/ 9" trenching bucket vs 6" #28  
I can definitely understand a homeowner not using a trencher but if ground destruction is important you can稚 beat this. I can shove that dirt back in with the blade without much damage to the grass. If you really cared like a lot the powdered dirt isn稚 much work to backfill by hand. I知 with digging it that making a million trips moving dirt is harder on the grass than just putting it beside it. View attachment 669795View attachment 669796

I would have to move a bunch of dirt anyway, to avoid having a pile a lot wider than the hole. So, I found it's easier to just pile it nearby in the garden, and take out just what I need to keep the hole filled. Not piling the dirt up, allows me to mow right over the hole then, as it settles. Which I much prefer.

I also avoid the potential damage the bucket may do puling the dirt to the the trench.

I have used a trencher too. If it's too wet to use my 6", and I have to do some digging that probably would be my choice.

As I said, I have tried it every different way. There are pit falls to them all.

/ 9" trenching bucket vs 6" #29  
16” is the minimum I’ve found for digging a trench and still being able to get a plate compactor in the trench if necessary.

/ 9" trenching bucket vs 6" #30  
16” is the minimum I’ve found for digging a trench and still being able to get a plate compactor in the trench if necessary.

I could see the point for a sewer drain line but why bother compacting anything else?