A different View of Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / A different View of Safety #31  
Thing that frequently gets lost in these kinds of discussions is the simple fact that the single most important safety item is that thing between a person's ears (when used as an actual brain for thinking and assessing).

Blindly following regulations and out-sourcing personal safety leads to just as many problems as reckless behavior.

Simply telling someone not to do something because it's "unsafe" is doing a disservice - unless the actual hazards and reasons for it being unsafe are also identified.

I've yet to see an inanimate object injure or kill someone without a person or very bad personal decision making being involved......

*granted when artificial intelligence takes over the world that may change, but seeing as how hard of a time humanity has with biological intelligence I suspect true artificial intelligence is likely a long, long, long way off .... though unintended emergent behaviors created by humans will likely cause problems long before then do to the lack of actual thinking...... :p

Just my :2cents:

/ A different View of Safety #32  
Is it really?
You are worried about the "Safety of the children"
Dead and injured is Dead and injured, right?

What exactly is it you don't understand about the difference between vehicles that are meant to transport people that have numerous safety features and regulations as well as operating laws...and lawn mowers etc...?

/ A different View of Safety #33  
Yet each year thousands and thousands of children are hurt or worse...mostly by mowers and mostly in rural areas...

>>>...Each year, 800 children in the US alone, are run over by riding mowers or small tractors and more than 600 of those incidents result in amputation; 75 people are killed, and 20,000 injured; one in five deaths involves a child. For children under age 10, major limb loss is most commonly caused by lawn mowers.<<<

OK the "headline" sounds terrible thousands and thousands hurt or worse;
then read the commentary so 75 killed one in five involves a child so now we are down to 15.
So for 15 kids a year everyone has to follow inane safety rules.
While we hope that none are our relatives or friends and we all ( well most all) feel bad for the parents who lose kids nothing any wheres is going to be 100% positive to never have any kind of incident.
In reality a bit more freedom with risks and responsibilities is much better in my opinion then what this country has become with all of it's "safety" regulation.
In a great many respects we have gone way to far overboard on so called safety which completely hinders getting work done, much of the newer safety regulations are inane works of art by highly educated individuals who could never have done the job in the first place.

What exactly is it you don't understand about the difference between vehicles that are meant to transport people that have numerous safety features and regulations as well as operating laws...and lawn mowers etc...?

And now with all your talk of numbers you don't want to talk numbers with vehicles that in your own words;
are meant to transport people that have numerous safety features and regulations as well as operating laws...
but to compare would be apples to elephants.

/ A different View of Safety #34  
And now with all your talk of numbers you don't want to talk numbers with vehicles that in your own words;
are meant to transport people that have numerous safety features and regulations as well as operating laws...
but to compare would be apples to elephants.

LoL...Exactly what is it you do not understand about the difference between passenger vehicles and lawnmowers etc...??? :laughing:

/ A different View of Safety #35  
LoL...Exactly what is it you do not understand about the difference between passenger vehicles and lawnmowers etc...??? :laughing:

Really quite the come back,
just about worthless, surprise, surprise.

/ A different View of Safety #36  
Thing that frequently gets lost in these kinds of discussions is the simple fact that the single most important safety item is that thing between a person's ears (when used as an actual brain for thinking and assessing).

Blindly following regulations and out-sourcing personal safety leads to just as many problems as reckless behavior.

Simply telling someone not to do something because it's "unsafe" is doing a disservice - unless the actual hazards and reasons for it being unsafe are also identified.

I've yet to see an inanimate object injure or kill someone without a person or very bad personal decision making being involved......

*granted when artificial intelligence takes over the world that may change, but seeing as how hard of a time humanity has with biological intelligence I suspect true artificial intelligence is likely a long, long, long way off .... though unintended emergent behaviors created by humans will likely cause problems long before then do to the lack of actual thinking...... :p

Just my :2cents:

"I've yet to see an inanimate object injure or kill someone without very bad personal decision making being involved...."

You obviously don't watch CNN or MSNBC, they run stories every day about how guns kill people.

/ A different View of Safety #37  
Really quite the come back,
just about worthless, surprise, surprise.

Worthless??...LoL...I'm not the one trying to compare riding lawn mowers and automobiles...geeze!...:laughing:

/ A different View of Safety #38  
Good job broken track.To many folks wearing Bike helmets these days.

/ A different View of Safety
Good job broken track.To many folks wearing Bike helmets these days.

Again...a different perspective: I do not see enough kids riding bikes.

/ A different View of Safety #40  
Status
Not open for further replies.