A few pics from today’s square baling

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #81  
Exactly that^
I’ve told mine many times, I don’t care what they do when they grow up but I want them to have an appreciation for real work. And that can’t happen unless you’ve done some.
View attachment 709967
LOL! I've told my son (almost 15yo) that if I ever find a field of square bales somewhere and we have the time, he is going to learn what real hard work is!

Only once have I seen some around here in NTX, over near Keller years ago and I pointed them out but we didn't have the time.

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #82  
My son helping me during his summers has really changed his outlook on what work and sacrifice is. Of course he is paid fairly for his hours, but he has a better outlook on life.
Paid!?! I never got paid for haying until I was 16. I was filling the pickup from our fuel tank on a stand and Dad walked over and gave me a stash of cash. I said "what am I getting?" assuming I needed to go into town to get a part or cattle medicine. He said that was for all the hard work I do. I was kinda shocked! If I remember right it was hundreds of dollars. Most went in the bank. Luckily at that time I didn't have a steady GF or I may have wasted a lot of it. 😄

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #83  
I remember getting paid 0, but my family fed me and gave me a bed to sleep in.
LOL! I wasn't paid either, well see my previous post. That is what OTHER people got that hauled hay around there, Dad paid a few crews a few years until me and my brother were big enough, I was 6 or 7 when I was deemed big enough to drive or stack, I started bucking around 10-12 I think.

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #84  
I remember getting paid 0, but my family fed me and gave me a bed to sleep in.

^ This!

"Family" is the operative word. Being raised right, with the right values, and knowing that everyone in my family had my back if ever I was in need. We are still very close today.

In my opinion the lack of a cohesive family structure with so many families is causing a lot of the problems we are seeing in society today. Case in point - whenever I see a news story about some "child" that was involved in a shooting, it seems it is always in the middle of the night. What is that child doing out on the streets in the middle of the night??? The "Family" was OK with the kid running the streets at 2:30 in the morning?

/ A few pics from today’s square baling
Paid!?! I never got paid for haying until I was 16. I was filling the pickup from our fuel tank on a stand and Dad walked over and gave me a stash of cash. I said "what am I getting?" assuming I needed to go into town to get a part or cattle medicine. He said that was for all the hard work I do. I was kinda shocked! If I remember right it was hundreds of dollars. Most went in the bank. Luckily at that time I didn't have a steady GF or I may have wasted a lot of it. 😄
Welllll, yeah but hes 21. I cant ask him to work for free. He worked free when he was younger and he and the other kids do other work "free"

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #86  
^ This!

"Family" is the operative word. Being raised right, with the right values, and knowing that everyone in my family had my back if ever I was in need. We are still very close today.

In my opinion the lack of a cohesive family structure with so many families is causing a lot of the problems we are seeing in society today. Case in point - whenever I see a news story about some "child" that was involved in a shooting, it seems it is always in the middle of the night. What is that child doing out on the streets in the middle of the night??? The "Family" was OK with the kid running the streets at 2:30 in the morning?

^
Yep, the new woke culture is very against the family unit.

On the farm I learned carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, woodworking, electronics, how to pay bills, how to drive at a young age, how splice rope, how to maintain equipment, how to hunt, trap, etc.

If only we had a welder, though I eventually bought one for dad after his welder buddy died.

My son has paid me back many times with scholarship money. Although I may pay him ~$5,000 a summer, he has knocked off $34,000/yr in scholarship money from his advanced anti-American studies institute (aka college)

My daughter is doing even better. Now she wants to get on the “payroll” :oops:

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #90  
I was 10 and my brother 6 when dad's friend had a disagreement with the land owner after just filling the barn loft with baled hay for the winter ..

It's the same riding stables where dad worked as a kid at Stateline Tahoe...

Never worked to exhaustion up to that point dragging bale after bale to drop down to the 18 wheeler and attached trailer...

We couldn't lift anything but dragged across the loft... Dad's friend did the stacking on the flatbed ..

The 1860's barn is still there and now a state park on both Nevada and California sides...

Last edited: