A little Fall clean up

/ A little Fall clean up #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
I love it here on the mountain. :D

Attachments

• timber1 003.JPG
    timber1 003.JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 226
  • Timber !!!! 007.JPG
    Timber !!!! 007.JPG
    344.3 KB · Views: 280
  • Timber !!!! 002.JPG
    Timber !!!! 002.JPG
    343.8 KB · Views: 283
  • Timber !!!! 003.JPG
    Timber !!!! 003.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 235
  • Timber !!!! 021.JPG
    Timber !!!! 021.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Timber !!!! 023.JPG
    Timber !!!! 023.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 213
   / A little Fall clean up #2  
Oh that sucks!!!!... From your post I can assume no one was injured.. That is great news if so.

as for the house - OUCH. We just had a pipe break in our LA home that ended in 150K worth of damage due to our insurance company not responding promptly.

But they took care of us in the long run.

So what sort of ugprade are you going to do? Skylight?

/ A little Fall clean up #3  
Ouch! Hope nobody was hurt and you have good insurance. :eek:

/ A little Fall clean up
Oh that sucks!!!!... From your post I can assume no one was injured.. That is great news if so.

as for the house - OUCH. We just had a pipe break in our LA home that ended in 150K worth of damage due to our insurance company not responding promptly.

But they took care of us in the long run.

So what sort of ugprade are you going to do? Skylight?
Sucks and then some. The good news is no one was hurt. The bad news is I cut the tree. A perfect V-cut had three guys pulling on a new 4,000 lb tes rope. Carpenter ant infestation had hollowed out around 30 Feet and right at the back side of the cut.

Just before I had finished it. I heard a loud snap and the tree dropped about 1 inch and started back the other direction. State Farm is taking good care of us around 30,000 in damage will get almost a new roof out of the deal. We needed it replaced in about two years anyway. So the neighbors get lots of expensive oak fire wood. :rolleyes:

/ A little Fall clean up
Ouch! Hope nobody was hurt and you have good insurance. :eek:
Yep, State Farm is alright even put us in an very expensive landsdowns property for two months all paid for and furnished as they will move our upstairs furniture out and put it in storage while the contractors do repairs.

Gonna camp out down stairs on the weekends. To much in the way of leaves to keep up with around here this time of year.:eek:

/ A little Fall clean up #6  
Sucks and then some. The good news is no one was hurt. The bad news is I cut the tree. A perfect V-cut had three guys pulling on a new 4,000 lb tes rope. Carpenter ant infestation had hollowed out around 30 Feet and right at the back side of the cut.

Just before I had finished it. I heard a loud snap and the tree dropped about 1 inch and started back the other direction. State Farm is taking good care of us around 30,000 in damage will get almost a new roof out of the deal. We needed it replaced in about two years anyway. So the neighbors get lots of expensive oak fire wood. :rolleyes:

Our insurance broker said the best thing. "We insure stupidity". While it sounds like that is not your case, it made me laugh as we were in a deep discussion about how people do things they probably should not.

Ultimately there was no way for you to know the tree was hollow, and secondly no one got hurt on the fall back. All the way around a good thing I think. And you do get a new roof and at least some nice remodeling.

/ A little Fall clean up
Our insurance broker said the best thing. "We insure stupidity". While it sounds like that is not your case, it made me laugh as we were in a deep discussion about how people do things they probably should not.

Ultimately there was no way for you to know the tree was hollow, and secondly no one got hurt on the fall back. All the way around a good thing I think. And you do get a new roof and at least some nice remodeling.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Marrying my first wife now X, that was stupidly.

I did have a wedge driven into the back side, three guys pulling on a rope tied up high and the tree was straight not leaning twords the house so, this was more a case of Murphys law.

Although, I may now have to put my superman shirt on E-Bay and next time call a good tree service :rolleyes::)

/ A little Fall clean up #8  
Barry, in retrospect is there anything that you could have done differently to prevent this? I am sure many of us have just avoided this by dumb luck.

/ A little Fall clean up #9  
Barry,

I almost did the same thing. I had cut 6 or seve trees without any problems, but the last one suprised me. It started to fall the right way, but then twisted on me and spun all the way around to the oposite direction. It was all in slow motion, and all I could do was watch it happen. Then I got lucky as the tree caught a branch of a tree that I had kept. If that branch hadn't been there, it would have done some damage to the house.

Sorry to see your pics, but glad nobody got hurt and your insurance is taking care of you.

Eddie