A little miffed

/ A little miffed #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
So my wife and I decided to buy a new lawn tractor, a John Deere S140. The closest Deere dealerships are all pretty far away. And they are all owned by the same company. Anyway, I contacted the closest one and got a price over the phone. However, the salesperson needed to work up a quote. I heard nothing for about a week. Then the person called me, apologized for the late quote, clarified a couple things, then crickets. So after nearly another week goes by I look again online for the same S140. I find it for sale assembled at Lowe's and Home Depot, not in a box like the Deere dealerships offer. Closer too. By a lot. And $250 less.
I know, it's not a high dollar purchase compared to other offerings from John Deere. But now I'm waiting two weeks for a quote that over the phone is already $250 over what Lowe's and Home Depot are offering and the thing comes in a box. Not assembled like the other folks.
Maybe I'm just too low dollar. But how can they expect me to even look at them for other purchases if they are already charging me more for something that I need to put together. Am I wrong? Is a dealer gonna be that much better if I have a problem than Home Depot or Lowe's? If they can't even put the thing together but still charge me nearly 10% more because they are a dealer?
Anyway, I realized today that the dealer decided that I'm not worth the money to even give me a quote, especially since I have been completely polite and even enthusiastic about the upcoming purchase, but still haven't received the quote that the salesperson told me I needed to purchase the S140 lawn tractor.
So, I'm a little miffed that I spent the time emailing and talking to a John Deere dealership representative and still have not received the quote necessary to buy a machine from a Deere dealership. Even though I'm only spending a lousy $2799.00. Tomorrow we will be spending our money at Home Depot or Lowe's.
Eric

/ A little miffed #6  
The sad thing is that you still bought their product. JD pushed this impersonal mega-dealership model. They don't have some exclusive ability to make good equipment.

I'm glad you found an alternative that works for you. But until more of us say no to bad service and exorbitant prices, we will continue to get both.

/ A little miffed #9  
However, the salesperson needed to work up a quote. I heard nothing for about a week. Then the person called me, apologized for the late quote, clarified a couple things, then crickets.
I had a similar experience with Deere and also Kubota. I was a cash buyer who got alarmed that if I couldn't get the time of day when I wanted to hand them money, what kind of service would I get after the deal was done?

I wound up buying other brands for mower and tractor(s). From dealers who highly appreciated my business. Have been very pleased with that choice.

/ A little miffed #10  
So my wife and I decided to buy a new lawn tractor, a John Deere S140. The closest Deere dealerships are all pretty far away. And they are all owned by the same company. Anyway, I contacted the closest one and got a price over the phone. However, the salesperson needed to work up a quote. I heard nothing for about a week. Then the person called me, apologized for the late quote, clarified a couple things, then crickets. So after nearly another week goes by I look again online for the same S140. I find it for sale assembled at Lowe's and Home Depot, not in a box like the Deere dealerships offer. Closer too. By a lot. And $250 less.
I know, it's not a high dollar purchase compared to other offerings from John Deere. But now I'm waiting two weeks for a quote that over the phone is already $250 over what Lowe's and Home Depot are offering and the thing comes in a box. Not assembled like the other folks.
Maybe I'm just too low dollar. But how can they expect me to even look at them for other purchases if they are already charging me more for something that I need to put together. Am I wrong? Is a dealer gonna be that much better if I have a problem than Home Depot or Lowe's? If they can't even put the thing together but still charge me nearly 10% more because they are a dealer?
Anyway, I realized today that the dealer decided that I'm not worth the money to even give me a quote, especially since I have been completely polite and even enthusiastic about the upcoming purchase, but still haven't received the quote that the salesperson told me I needed to purchase the S140 lawn tractor.
So, I'm a little miffed that I spent the time emailing and talking to a John Deere dealership representative and still have not received the quote necessary to buy a machine from a Deere dealership. Even though I'm only spending a lousy $2799.00. Tomorrow we will be spending our money at Home Depot or Lowe's.
Eric
The dealer didn't jack you around, the forgetful/lazy salesperson did. After waiting for the quote that never came, you could have spoke with the service manager and he would have lit some fires to get you satisfied.

Also, the dealer purchased mower would not be delivered to you in a box. It would be thoroughly assembled, tested and ready to mow, unless you asked for it that way. And the mechanics there will be a lot more knowledgeable than the kids that assemble it at Lowes.