A new mower model "Mow All" coming soon...

/ A new mower model "Mow All" coming soon...
Re: A new mower model \"Mow All\" coming soon...

My Mower? - lol - Yes, a nice one

But, Jinman, this isn't a mower - it is a rake;) And, don't belittle such items, they don't burn any kind of energy (oil, electricity, etc) when operating. your muscles gain energy.

RalphVa, what is/are crossed blades? you mean the blades working like scissors?

/ A new mower model "Mow All" coming soon... #12  

Is that a "mow-all sling blade" or a "special blade mow-all"? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Toolite

/ A new mower model "Mow All" coming soon... #13  

Jim, I got a lot more experience with one of those mowers than I wanted when I was a kid. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif They called them a yo-yo in my part of the country back then (southern Oklahoma).

/ A new mower model "Mow All" coming soon... #14  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( They called them a yo-yo in my part of the country )</font>

Bird, that's exactly what we called them, but don't try to search for one on the internet using that name. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sometimes I reflect on the "good old days" when the tools for keeping a lawn were a push-type reel mower, a hoe, and a yo-yo. I can remember being excited over a big blade pair of hedge trimmers. This day and time we are really lucky and spoiled at the same time. We have power mowers, weed eaters, hedge trimmers, tillers, chain saws, etc., etc.. I can even remember when there were only a few nice lawns in town. Now everyone has a manicured lawn. Do you ever look at pictures of folks in the early 1900's sitting out on the grass in front of their houses and the lawn is grown up with weeds? Oh horrors! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif We couldn't have such today. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I own and use a yo-yo even today. Sometimes greenbriars are so tough that my weedeater string won't cut them, but my trusty yo-yo will "do them in." ...now, if I could just find one of those eye-hoes for the really tough jobs.

/ A new mower model "Mow All" coming soon... #15  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( don't try to search for one on the internet using that name )</font>

What do they call them now-a-days? Weed knife? I've heard, but forgotten.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( push-type reel mower )</font>

Yep, I got more experience with that than I wanted, also. In fact, one summer I made my spending money with one when I was a kid.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( if I could just find one of those eye-hoes )</font>

Now I'm not real sure what you're talking about. But speaking of hoes, I always preferred a thin bladed one; i.e., one that was so old and worn and had been sharpened so many times, it was about half the original size. So a few years ago I went shopping for a thin bladed hoe and never could find a new one like that; just bought a wide bladed one, cut half of it off with my reciprocating air saw, then ground it down and put a new edge on it with my bench grinder and belt sander.

/ A new mower model "Mow All" coming soon...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Check out " air foils ". Thats basically all a rotary blade is. You could write programs to optimize the blade configuration based on the Froude number of a grass air mixture.
Egon )</font>

Egon, maybe, you don't remember well. It is true that Froude number (ratio of inertia forces to gravitational forces) is used to model an aerofoil, but our this blade of, especially, finish mower can't be modelled using Fr number because its speed is very high (17,000 feet per min.) That is, Reynolds number is high. But This blade can't be modelled by using Reynolds number because the air flow around the blade will like be very turbulent due to the speed of blade and its "irregular augering" the air+grass mixture. As you may remember, modelling turbulent flows are very difficult if you want to make a precious model which will simulate the prototype.

Anyways, since this prototype (mower) isn't so expensive we don't need to make a model. Prototype flow will easily be simulated on a computer screen by directly solving its simplified 2-dimensional equations directly from general flow equations. Its only difficulty in the computer modelling is it is mixture of air-grass and it is turbulent motion which is very difficult to simulate and which may also cause cavities in the flow around the blade.

Anyways, these are technical things you and a few other can understand. I can conclude that finish mower blade can easily be used also as a rotary cutter blade as the finish mower blade is rotating at much higher speed than rotary cutter blade and this high speed of finish mower blade will apply sufficient force to do even very heavy tasks that are being done by rotary cutter blade. The only change to be done in finish mower to be used also as a rotary cutter is to change its deck design of finish mower so that it will also allow the long/heavy grasses enter into the blade area. I am surprised that designers/manufacturers of finish mowers/rotary cutters haven't considered this yet. Maybe, it was because they have respected/been thoughtfull about manufacturers of rotary cutters only. If they made a Mow-All mower, today rotary cutter manufacturers would be disappeared in the field. Anyways, I guess we'll see a Mow-All mower soon in a year or two.

/ A new mower model "Mow All" coming soon... #17  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm not real sure what you're talking about. )</font>

34-308head.gif

Bird, here is a picture of an eye hoe head. I've looked at the big three (HD, Lowes, True-Value) and not found them. I may have to order one. They aren't as heavy as a mattock, but for cutting weed roots, they are pretty handy. We used to chop out pigweed/careless weeds (proper name - redroot amaranth) using an eye hoe. The handles are much stronger than a regular garden hoe. For careful tilling in the vegetable garden, you can't beat that thin hoe like you made. If the blade is too tall, you can't get it into tight spots.

Regarding the current name of the yo-yo...
Ames calls theirs a bow handled weed cutter . I think yo-yo is far more descriptive of how the tool is used. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ A new mower model "Mow All" coming soon... #18  

(ratio of inertia forces to gravitational forces)

Are we talking about the same thing?????

Egon

/ A new mower model "Mow All" coming soon... #19  

Thanks, Jim, I've had a passing acquaintance with those, but don't guess I ever heard what they were called.

/ A new mower model "Mow All" coming soon... #20  

Ames,
Ames shovel plant is in my hometown,the old guy who owned it for years was a self made millionaire,True Temper owns Ames now.