A new Texas delicacy

/ A new Texas delicacy #42  
Exactly what we call it down here in the SE, we used to scald hogs when I was a boy and the old folks utilized everything and I mean everything from the rooter to the tooter, chitterlings, hog head cheese, liver and lights just to name a few, that way of life has all but disappeared in these parts.

Yep, an usingn a pair of knitting needles as a sqeezer to clean the intestines for sausage casings. One person holds the two needles and the other one pulls the gut through the needles. Then a good washing and on to stuffing them. The good old days...

/ A new Texas delicacy #43  
Considering that package was found at an Asian food market, there's no telling what else you might find in the place. Asian demand for aphrodisiacs made from animal parts like bear gall bladder and Rhino horn drive's poaching of protected species around the world.
Since they always had plenty spending money, I worried my grandson and his pals at UT were being paid under the table. Turned out they were selling porcupine eggs(aka cockleburs) to people on IH35 towing rvs headed to the Valley for winter layover.

/ A new Texas delicacy #45  
Considering that package was found at an Asian food market, there's no telling what else you might find in the place. Asian demand for aphrodisiacs made from animal parts like bear gall bladder and Rhino horn drive's poaching of protected species around the world.
Since they always had plenty spending money, I worried my grandson and his pals at UT were being paid under the table. Turned out they were selling porcupine eggs(aka cockleburs) to people on IH35 towing rvs headed to the Valley for winter layover.
Note this was in Austin. Most Texans I know like to eat much higher one the hog, metaphorically speaking.

/ A new Texas delicacy #46  
IMG_4329.JPG

I dont think Grandpa ever said this was for dinner.

/ A new Texas delicacy #47  
Organic water
Reminds me of a trip home from a fishing trip, there were about 10 of us and we were on our way home and pulled into a takeaway food place, we all had knives on our belts and the young smart arse behind the counter started feigning fear and putting his hands up every time he walked past us, he really was an idiot and getting everyones attention in the wrong way.
Our orders were finally ready and everyone got a drink except me, I wanted a mineral water and asked if they had any, he went out the back and came back with one, I said no, I wanted low calorie, he went out to look for one much to the delight of everyone who was there, he couldn't understand why everyone was laughing.

/ A new Texas delicacy #48  
As someone said before, when we used to kill a pig on the farm for the family, Everything was used except the `pigs squeal`. Then, many years ago, I was passing a farm and the guy had `Pigs Squeal` for sale. I couldn't resist so I stopped and bought some. It turned out to be home made cider. Now I've had some rough cider in my time, but this stuff was really rough, enough to make a pig squeal, although it did hit the spot.

/ A new Texas delicacy #49  
Here's something to go with the rectum.
20170314_192447.jpg