A newbies DIY solar install

/ A newbies DIY solar install #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
Time for another project. This one is a new solar install for the house. Figured I would document my experience and hopefully get some help/advice along the way and maybe help someone else considering a diy solar install. We've had solar on our business for 8 years and has done great and figured it's time to look at doing it for the home.

System will be grid tied. I started out thinking I would do a turn-key install. Recieved 3 proposals, with the best but all close coming in at $52k or $38,500 after tax rebate. That put my ROI at about 9 years based on output and current electric bill and not factoring any repairs. After looking at the numbers I decided to price out a similar self install kit for comparison and was shocked at the price difference. $20,009 shipped to my door or $14,800 after tax rebate so self install it is. Kit includes everything needed other than the 3" pipe for the iron ridge ground mount and any knowledge of what I'm doing on my end but I figure for $23k I can figure it out. Payoff should be less than 4 years if it covers as much of my electric bill as expected.

System details:
25kw system
2 - Fronius Primos 12.5 investors
60 - Trina Solar 410 watt panels
Iron ridge racking systems

Currently working on the application and approval with our electric coop before making the purchase and will update as this project moves forward.

Jeremy

Last edited:
   / A newbies DIY solar install #2  
Anxiously awaiting your progress report. I have been contemplating solar for a few years, but it was always too expensive to pull the trigger. Good luck!

/ A newbies DIY solar install #3  
You get payment from your utility there for power sent to the grid? Here with Dominion Power (monopoly) here in central Va, we don't. Get credit for any overproduction at the end of the month but not if it exceeds our bill (won't. Ours is only 2 or 2.5 kw: don't recall.) They basically won't let you install a system bigger than your average usage. Yours is about 10 times that.

/ A newbies DIY solar install #4  
Those prices!!!!!!
We were going to put up 10kw that would have been AU$8800 but after looking at usage went 6.6kw for AU$3800 with state and federal rebates.

/ A newbies DIY solar install #5  
I put in my solar system DIY in the fall of 2011. It is a ground mount, 40 panels, 9.2 KW, using a single 10KW grid tie inverter. My costs were a bit 0ver $ 30,000. In received state and federal credits/incentives equaling $ 20,000, so $ 10,000 out of pocket. My break-even was at 6.5 years and today I am $ 16,700 to the positive. That includes the cost of saved (or generated in reality) power and solar credits (SREC Trade). The solar credits average $ 25/MWH (about 1 month's worth).

When I put my system in the panel price was $ 1.93/watt for the 230 watt panels. Today you can get panels near $ 1/watt so costs are lower today for a new install. I was limited to a max of $ 10KW by the local utility. Anything greater would put me into a generation classification and my generated power would be considerably lower than the net metering I have (they have since raised the limit to 20 KW).

Overall I would absolutely do it again. My average electric bill is $ 100/month averaged over the year. I have a 2800 sq ft all electric house with 4 adults (3 home most days while I work). All utilities are electric, including 2 refrigerators, freezer, computers, several TVs, pool, etc.

Paul

/ A newbies DIY solar install #6  
Time for another project. This one is a new solar install for the house. Figured I would document my experience and hopefully get some help/advice along the way and maybe help someone else considering a diy solar install. We've had solar on our business for 8 years and has done great and figured it's time to look at doing it for the home.

System will be grid tied. I started out thinking I would do a turn-key install. Recieved 3 proposals, with the best but all close coming in at $52k or $38,500 after tax rebate. That put my ROI at about 9 years based on output and current electric bill and not factoring any repairs. After looking at the numbers I decided to price out a similar self install kit for comparison and was shocked at the price difference. $20,009 shipped to my door or $14,800 after tax rebate so self install it is. Kit includes everything needed other than the 3" pipe for the iron ridge ground mount and any knowledge of what I'm doing on my end but I figure for $23k I can figure it out. Payoff should be less than 4 years if it covers as much of my electric bill as expected.

System details:
25kw system
2 - Fronius Primos 12.5 investors
60 - Trina Solar 410 watt panels
Iron ridge racking systems

Currently working on the application and approval with our electric coop before making the purchase and will update as this project moves forward.

Jeremy
Why so many panels? I doubt you are pulling 2-4kw/h peak from the house during the day Unless you are running a factory! Is insolation that poor in your area that you need that much gathering capability? IMO it would have been better to invest in a battery system for grid down backup.

That said, it sounds like a great project and I am interested to see how it tracks! I have an off grid place on 8kw panels, Outback radian 8KVa inverter about 32 kWh battery bank. All solar projects are great to hear about!

Last edited:
   / A newbies DIY solar install #7  
I did a ground mount self install last spring on a 5200 watt system. My cost before rebate was about $14k before rebate ($3600). So far I have not has any power charges for the last 9 months just $12 to $14 per month for "connection" charges. That is amazing as my summer time electric here in the desert can run $300 to $400 per month. It also looks like I will be getting a rebate on my yearly anniversary, but I don't know how much yet. SCE has TOU when you go solar but it is a true net metering. Basically they pay/charge $.27 per Kw from 9PM to 5 PM the next day but charge $.43 from 5 PM to 9PM which of course are peak usage hours for a residence. Not bad for a 2,400 SF house and 1,500 SF shop. Today I generated over 38 kWh.

I got quotes for the same system from several suppliers and the cost was $27K before rebate. Contractor installed solar is a racket.

/ A newbies DIY solar install
You get payment from your utility there for power sent to the grid? Here with Dominion Power (monopoly) here in central Va, we don't. Get credit for any overproduction at the end of the month but not if it exceeds our bill (won't. Ours is only 2 or 2.5 kw: don't recall.) They basically won't let you install a system bigger than your average usage. Yours is about 10 times that.
We get the utility fuel cost for not making what we produce in excess. About .03/kwh.

When I put my system in the panel price was $ 1.93/watt for the 230 watt panels. Today you can get panels near $ 1/watt so costs are lower today for a new install.

Paul
My bid for the Trina Solar 410watt panels came in at $184 per panel for 410 watt panels or .45/watt. Should end up at just under .75/watt for entire system install. Panels have come a long way as well. Just looked at my building on Google earth to count the panels on that 25kw system installed 8 or 9 years ago and counted 100 panels.

Why so many panels? I doubt you are pulling 2-4kw/h peak from the house during the day Unless you are running a factory! Is insolation that poor in your area that you need that much gathering capability? IMO it would have been better to invest in a battery system for grid down backup.
Big houses have big electric bills. 4,500 sq/ft finished space, 2 fridges, 2 freezers, 3 kids, washer/dryer that runs non stop, etc etc. System will cover all summer usage and with summer credits may cover winter as well. Even in the swing months when air/heat is not used I average about 65 kwh/day