A solar powered generator?

/ A solar powered generator? #11  
Regardless of what anybody else thinks or any official definitions, my personal definition of a generator means there is a rotating coil 'generating' power. How it rotates doesn't matter; motor, wind, hydro, steam all count. Solar does not. It converts energy from the Sun to store in a battery for later use ... all electronic, no rotating coil. Solar systems do not generate power, they store it.

That said, I'd love to have solar with wind back up. But at present costs, that ain't happening.

/ A solar powered generator? #12  
solar generators are nothing more then a battery in a box, with some variant of 12v and 120v via a inverter, they can be charged via solar, ac power or even dc automotive power.

you need to determine your load and for how long for anyone to remotely help you.

/ A solar powered generator? #13  
solar panels convert sunlight into energy.
Batteries store energy.

What is unique about Generac's approach is to use solar panels or sunlight as the primary source of energizing the batteries and your electricity is free so long as you have enough light/panels. The generator backs the up and charges the batteries when there isn't enough light.

Tesla does not have this set up but it sounds pretty slick and we will benefit from all these innovations.

/ A solar powered generator? #14  
Sunlight is already energy. At least it was when I was in school. So many things have changed, maybe that is not it anymore.

/ A solar powered generator? #15  
have a small one with builtin battery. we use it for power outages. when the power goes out it automatically changes to battery mode. runs our tv...directv... couple lights.

Larger units will do the same. Allows for separate battery supply. Depending on what you use it for battery size is endless. Can run anything the unit will handle.

They are considered a generator. What else would you call it? It can run off solar input. What do you call something that runs off gas that converts it to 110/220v?

We have solar power growing at rate the world has never seen. The USA is behind but catching up quickly.

There will be a noticeable push soon on full solar for those who wish to do so. Federal incentives to install most systems will be available.

Solar panels are smaller and put out more than ever before. Batteries are getting smaller and storing more.

Your perfect house is coming. Solar panels that provide all the power you can use during the day. excess will be directed to the grid and you will be credited for the excess. Install the bigger whole house batteries and stay completely off grid if you wish.

Charge your EV vehicle for free at home. or... your vehicle may be providing power to your house at night or during power outages.
The Ford Lightning EV pickup now comes with a builtin plug to power your house.

I read with interest from a lot of you who are non believers. The world is going solar. Its not a fad.
I love the statements… charge your car for free. How does a 40-50 grand investment, plus required occasional battery bank swaps make it free power. And if you power your house during a power outage from your truck….what do you drive to work the next day.

/ A solar powered generator? #16  
You might be better off with a Tesla Powerwall, which is just a big battery that charges off of the normal electric service and provides power during outages. If you live where electricity is cheaper at night you can program the Tesla Powerwall to charge at night and draw power from it during the day.
I hope you have a good, steady internet connection. For your convenience Powerwalls don't work without an internet connection to "monitor" how you use your power.

/ A solar powered generator? #17  
Most of them that I've seen information on are good for about 4 hours. Would not make it through the night.

I've a 12.5 kw diesel generator from Central Maine Diesel. It runs the whole house except for swimming pool, carriage house and big heat pump.

/ A solar powered generator? #18  
I hope you have a good, steady internet connection. For your convenience Powerwalls don't work without an internet connection to "monitor" how you use your power.
Gigabit fiber. The rural broadband initiative has been good to us. But, no Tesla Powerwall, yet.

/ A solar powered generator? #19  
They're pretty nifty little units that come in all different capacities. So you can get a small one to just run or charge a few small things or a big one that will run your house during an outage. All that said they're ridiculously expensive. You can easily build your own setup for a fraction of the cost.

/ A solar powered generator? #20  
You can buy or assemble a system. It depends on you requirements. The main components are batteries, inverter, charge controller and photovoltaic panels. Goal Zero, Titan and Jackery (120 volt) are a few companies that combine the batteries, inverters and charge controllers into one unit that is portable. Engineer775 on youtube has several videos on the Titan and larger systems for a house, like the Solark (120/240 volt). I'm planning to install a system large enough for my CPAP, refrigerator, freezer and well pump. I do have a gas powered generator. My concern is a utility power outage lasting more than 2 or 3 days. It happened in 2011 when the tornados hit here. If you plan to power 12 volt devices with a portable unit, make sure the 12 volt output is regulated. Some devices will shut off below 12 volts. A regulated 12 volt output will maintain the proper voltage until the batteries can no longer support the load. Determining what you want to power is the first step. If electrical resiliency is your goal, I suggest all 3: utility, engine-powered generator and PV system.