A solar powered generator?

/ A solar powered generator? #21  
What is going to be interesting is when the power companies get involved and put these "self sufficient or semi-self sufficeient" homes on a demand power rate so they can disconnect them during peak times. As these green power options and regulations increase, power companies are having to close base load plants at a breakneck pace. They will be "rewarding" customers on solar at some point with high demand disconnects. Should be quite a show.

/ A solar powered generator? #23  
I love the statements… charge your car for free. How does a 40-50 grand investment, plus required occasional battery bank swaps make it free power. And if you power your house during a power outage from your truck….what do you drive to work the next day.
While on this thought trend, how do you evacuate from a forest fire zone when they have cut hydro power and your EV is not charged?

And some fire zones are cutting power as a routine measure when winds get high simply as a precaution. Branches like to ignite when they short out on power lines, ergo a fire start.

/ A solar powered generator? #24  
Newbury--all I did was search the internet and there were many choices. My interest came from a pop-up I got that vanished before I could click on it so I know nothing about them.

ponytug--I don't want to do anything just yet but would like to learn more. I know about generators and know this is some sort of a storage arrangement but I sure would like to get rid of gasoline and what goes with it. I think the public would love some easier way for backup power for storm use and other short term use.

Whole house power would be a dream and I can see the day when it would work. The demand is there.
I see those pop up's, too. I think you could put together a pretty good home brew version with a couple of solar panels, an RV solar controller, some big batteries from Costco or Walmart on sale, and a good pure sine wave inverter. For less money.

We went to solar panels on the house when the expected return on investment got down to 7 years. It turned out to be closer to three and a half years. (The power company raised the rates faster than I planned, and we bought a plug in hybrid that saved us even more as the cost per mile on electricity was so much less.) So, yes, our power is now fully paid for, and any miles driven with an electric vehicle are now basically depreciation on the car and tire wear, not fuel costs. (Even if we were paying for the power, the electrical cost per mile, for say a Chevy Volt, is less than $0.05/mile, even in California.)

Then the power company started having trouble keeping the power on here, including several multi-day outages. I love my generator, but it is not quiet, and setting it up is tough on my spouse, so when the chance came to get whole house backup via Tesla powerwalls at a reduced price, we jumped on it. We are net energy exporters from basically March 1st to November 1st, and the batteries enable us to be self powered indefinitely during that time period.

If I were doing it over again, I would have put on closer to double the original solar to allow for the future charging of future cars. The cost per mile for running an electric vehicle is so much lower. Right now, they certainly aren't for everyone; you need to have round trips of under two hundred miles or so for many vehicles, and less in the wintertime, and chargers aren't everywhere, especially in rural America. I know when we trailer livestock that it would be more of a production to do it with an F-150E, but in California it would be doable in most areas, at least where we go.

As a side note, diesel is $6.79/gal here. I don't expect to see it under five again, ever. As oil companies practice return on investment for their shareholders, nobody is rushing to drill, so these prices are going to be around for some time.

Personally, I think that anyone who lives in fire areas, or earthquake areas, ought to be keeping the tanks full as part of daily living, whether it is an electric vehicle or not, but that is a whole other discussion. We have had fires blow up with no notice due to arsonists multiple times at multiple locations over the years that has certainly made the reality of fire front and center for us, and was no small part of why we added batteries, because we know how long it can be to restore power.

The battery sizes in vehicles are multiples of what gets installed on houses. You could easily power your house overnight and drive to work the next day for most folks. The F150E is being talked about as supplying on the order of 7kW range for powering the house, from a 115-155kWh battery (guesstimate).

All the best,

Peter

/ A solar powered generator? #25  
While on this thought trend, how do you evacuate from a forest fire zone when they have cut hydro power and your EV is not charged?

And some fire zones are cutting power as a routine measure when winds get high simply as a precaution. Branches like to ignite when they short out on power lines, ergo a fire start.
the same way you do when your gas truck is out of gas. you run for the hills. or is it the ocean in this case

/ A solar powered generator? #26  
You can buy or assemble a system. It depends on you requirements. The main components are batteries, inverter, charge controller and photovoltaic panels. Goal Zero, Titan and Jackery (120 volt) are a few companies that combine the batteries, inverters and charge controllers into one unit that is portable. Engineer775 on youtube has several videos on the Titan and larger systems for a house, like the Solark (120/240 volt). I'm planning to install a system large enough for my CPAP, refrigerator, freezer and well pump. I do have a gas powered generator. My concern is a utility power outage lasting more than 2 or 3 days. It happened in 2011 when the tornados hit here. If you plan to power 12 volt devices with a portable unit, make sure the 12 volt output is regulated. Some devices will shut off below 12 volts. A regulated 12 volt output will maintain the proper voltage until the batteries can no longer support the load. Determining what you want to power is the first step. If electrical resiliency is your goal, I suggest all 3: utility, engine-powered generator and PV system.
well pump? . most wells need quite a large inrush of power to start up. i occasionally have trouble starting wells on 12KW gas generators.

/ A solar powered generator? #27  

How do you evacuate from a forest fire zone when they have cut hydro power and your gas or diesel powered vehicle is on empty? Keep your escape vehicle fueled, with either hydrocarbons or electricity. They are both just as easy.
Eric

/ A solar powered generator? #28  
Where I live fire is not really a concern but winds are. I could get by with a really small power plant, be it batteries or a generator, for just the phone and internet. I have a fridge and a freezer to maintain too. Though both units are fairly energy efficient they do add considerable loads. Then there is the well. Because of the way induction motors work and my well pump is one of those when the well starts it draws considerable current for a short period of time. Since it is a capacitor start well pump it draws less start up current than a typical single phase motor. There are ways to supply this extra motor starting current that are simple and robust. So the well, fridge, and freezer will be able to start off of even a fairly small battery installation.
Right now I am using a generator that is too big for our needs. 7500 watts. It is a good generator, almost brand new, and I got it for free because it wouldn't start. A bad spark plug was the problem. But I am seriously considering a solar installation.
I live just north of Seattle. So I get the same amount of sun. to put in solar I will need to cut some trees down, which pains me. But using less utility supplied power will help alleviate the pain and I will be planting more trees anyway. At the beginning I will be able to sell excess power to PSE, and will in the future too. But to make solar worthwhile I will need battery backup. And it won't need to be that big. I would rather use lithium batteries because of the lower amount of care they require. I will probably buy a bunch of surplus laptop computer batteries and use them. These days charge controllers for lithium batteries are cheap. So keeping the individual cells properly charged and balanced is pretty easy. My son has a battery tab spotwelder so building properly assembled battery packs will be pretty straight forward.
Since I am now retired the time necessary to build my own system is available. If I was just starting a new family it might be tough.
Ultimately I am convinced that the entire US power grid will be mostly solar and wind with a little nuclear power. Fossil fuels are just too much trouble. Today I can drive an electric car over 100 miles for about 4 bucks. Lets say 5 bucks. I'm talking fuel cost. Because the electric utility uses fuel to make the electricity that the car runs off of. But the gasoline or diesel cost for a vehicle would be much higher. The reason for this is because of the much higher efficiency of the power plant burning the fossil fuel and delivering the power to the electric car, which can use the power generated much more efficiently that an internal combustion engine in a vehicle. And it is now cheaper per watt to build solar and wind plants in many parts of the world, the USA included, than it is to build conventional fossil or nuclear power plants.
Though lithium production is far from being benign environmentally it pollutes far less that oil, coal, or natural gas production. Also, lithium production is in its infancy compared to over a century of intensive fossil fuel production, so improvements could be expected. Furthermore, fossil fuels are mined and then used once, whereas currently lithium batteries are easily recycled. Today there is about a 20% loss in lithium battery recycling, and this must be considered. Then again, this 20% loss can be drastically reduced without much trouble.
There also other battery technologies that don't use lithium. Sodium is another metal that has a lot promise for batteries. And sodium production is easier, cheaper, and pollutes than lithium production. Also there are battery technologies that are heavier and bulkier than lithium batteries but are safer, way cheaper, and use materials that are more common and pollute less when produced. These technologies are perfect for storage at power plant scales because they are stationary. The weight and size don't matter. Since the batteries don't need to be carted around like car batteries or cell phone batteries they don't need to be as light or as small.
Wow, I didn't mean for this to get so long, especially on a tractor site. Oh well.
Eric

/ A solar powered generator? #30  
As a side note, diesel is $6.79/gal here. I don't expect to see it under five again, ever. As oil companies practice return on investment for their shareholders, nobody is rushing to drill, so these prices are going to be around for some time.
Big bucks. It's almost enough to convince me to fill a tanker and drive south. Where should I park that a "Psst. Hey mister, want some diesel cheap," would get a good response? :cool: