A tractor at last!

/ A tractor at last! #1  

Anonymous Poster

My wife and I sold out our expensive California realestate, retired and moved to SE Iowa last November. He have the front two acres and all of the nice buildings off of what was an 80 acre farm. It was always my intention to collect the four letter model JD row crop tractors; the little H, the popular B, the famous A, and the big G. We recently acquired a 1952 Model A which is in such good shape that restoring it would be an insult to it's fifty-year career in farming. This tractor has NEVER set out in the weather. A great find, and a truly "vintage" machine. I grew up driving Cats and John Deeres, and put in a lot of time on a pre-war JD Model A. This 1952 is MODERN compared to the ones I drove! Dave

/ A tractor at last! #2  
Dreams can come true..w/little luck. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
1952 JD A sure would look good in your profile plus photo. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ A tractor at last!
Oh, yeah, I forgot to fill out the profile!!!,,,,,Done!!

/ A tractor at last! #4  
Congratulations! I've driven a few of those, when I was a kid if you didn't have an old JD or a 'binder you didn't have a tractor.

/ A tractor at last! #5  
I was interested in what your definition of a "binder" was. I always thought it was slang for an old IH truck.

/ A tractor at last!
Cyrus McCormick was one of the first people to develop and market a "corn binder" which of course made the bundles of corn that you see people put together for harvest moon dances. Later on, the McCormick-Deering Company made tractors, and the name McCormick was so associated with the corn binder that "Corn binder" was used as a slang term for McCormick Deering, and then later on International Harvester Company. When International Harvester began making trucks the name followed them as well.

/ A tractor at last! #7  
Yah, what he said! :)

/ A tractor at last! #8  
Thanks. My brother-in-law has an old early 50's IH 2-1/2 ton truck he hauls silage with. He always calls it the "Binder". Now I know why. Thanks.