a very awesome MF

/ a very awesome MF #41  
Don't tell that to Audi and their 8 LeMans victories in various diesel configurations. I have a re-tuned TDI that gives many six cylinder gassers a run for their money. Particularly at roll on speed. Tons of torque at 2,000 rpm and just a push of the pedal away. Obviously it helps greatly to have a turbo.

Ben, it a shame that VW/Audi shot themselves with diesel gate. They arguably make the best automotive diesel cars in the world. I would rate Isuzu diesel engines equal to the German varieties. Most automotive diesel selections here in the US are in overpriced variants like Landrover, Jaguar and other upscale brands. The Cruise is the only modestly priced diesel sedan I am aware of.

Hey Detroit, diesels belong in economy cars like the Cruise diesel that delivers 50 MPG. Unfortunately, many new car buyers today want tire-smoking performance...economy is lower down on their list. Remember, one day, we'll run out of cheap oil. Me? I rarely use more than half throttle so a diesel would rate high on my list. I want my cars to last at least 10 years. Bring on the diesel.

/ a very awesome MF #42  
I would have loved to buy another TDI or similar vehicle. I love how diesels have so much torque available at lower rpms, particularly at highway speeds when passing or merging. No need to down shift or wait for the turbo to spool up. I don't think there is enough American drivers who want a diesel to make it practical for auto manufacturers to bother with the US market. If GM would have made a more upscale version of the Cruz, I might have taken a look. I looked at the Jaguar XE diesel, which were greatly discounted leftovers (still $35k), but couldn't get past the reliability question and the stigma of driving one.

/ a very awesome MF #43  
Another problem with the diesel cars is the price of adding that diesel doesn't pay for itself very quickly. I was looking at a diesel Grand Cherokee, but ended up going with a gas because it would take over 100k miles to pay the difference in the cost of fuel (at the time at least). Plus I'd have to plug it in on these cold days (-9 this morning, -18 predicted next week) and if I forget, good luck starting it. I love my diesel pick-up and wouldn't use a gas pick-up again, but for a car, not practical for me only driving 10 miles each way to work. If the price was the same (between gas engine and diesel engine), it would be a different story.

/ a very awesome MF #44  
Ben, it a shame that VW/Audi shot themselves with diesel gate. ... Most automotive diesel selections here in the US are in overpriced variants like Landrover, Jaguar and other upscale brands. Hey Detroit, diesels belong in economy cars ... Remember, one day, we'll run out of cheap oil. Me? I rarely use more than half throttle so a diesel would rate high on my list. I want my cars to last at least 10 years. Bring on the diesel.

Yeah, verily. We had a VW TDI diesel that was not only the most fun of any we have had, it was unbeatable in performance and scoot. Plus terrific fuel economy. My soap box on "diesel gate" is that EPA was the bad guy all the way. VW should have been given a reward for exposing the EPA. My reasoning is as follows:

See TIME, Nov. 30/Dec.7 combined issue. Article is "The Man who brought down Volkswagen." And pp.104 is the smoking gun that proves EPA is THE culprit in this entire topic. In the context of diesels "Only 0.01% of NOx emissions come from light duty cars." Case closed !!! Only an out of control idiot-based EPA would go through all of this bullying of an industry (forced to kiss their ring, no recourse) on the basis of what is One ten-thousandth of the NOx emissions ! Amounts to criminal malfeasance in the form of way beyond total lack of judgement. It could not be any more obvious that a responsible and accountable EPA would have labeled that segment of the industry NEGLIGIBLE. Forget it. Don't whiz away a dime on it. Instead they screwed VW for billions.

What this discussion is doing in an "awesome MF" thread is beyond me...

/ a very awesome MF #45  
Diesel???..... New Ford F150 crew cab, 4WD truck with gas $45,000... Same body style and 4WD option with diesel $60,000.... Don't need the low end "grunt" for towing at that price, now if both options were offered for same price, I would have to consider... But with gas being about 50-60 cents a gallon cheaper (state taxes) than diesel then mileage would also be issue....

Dale

/ a very awesome MF #46  
True, and with the great gas mileage you get on turbocharged V6 gas engine putting out over 400 ft lbs torque and 365 hp, rare few of us have a real need for the bigger diesels. With the combined "over 20 mpg" (which I get in a 2015 F150) and gas being so much cheaper than diesel fuel, you really have to want one bad to pay $15000 extra for a diesel truck. The V6 diesel Dodge is also a big extra price tag.

/ a very awesome MF #47  
I love the torque curve of a diesel, but if I was buying a truck I don't think I could justify a $15k premium unless there was an absolute need for the low end power. And yes the fuel cost differential bites, too. Particularly in Pennsylvania where the diesel liquid fuels tax on diesel is so high. I got 50 mpg with my Jetta and it has 310,000 miles on it, so over time the premium probably was offset. I think at the time the difference between a 2.0 liter gas and diesel was around $1,500. BUT, diesel was also under $2 a gallon back then and less expensive than premium unleaded.