Mowing About time to get started

/ About time to get started #1  

BigTee

Tractor
Mahindra eMax 25
Real close to closing on the 50 acres behind me so I went out today and bought the bush hog I will need. I bought the 4' Tarter square frame, tractor is a Mahindra EMax 25. The land has about 16 to 18 acres that used to be beautiful pasture but hasn't been touched in about 20 years. It's covered in brush and briars now and has some trees 3" to 4" in diameter. Looking for any tips on mowing, I know I'll have to take slow and start with small areas, just don't want to make any big mistakes.

Any advise is welcome.

/ About time to get started #2  
Consider a Ratchet Rake attachment for your FEL bucket.

Ratchet Rake will allow you to knock down 2" to 2-1/2" saplings, which you can then chop with your rotary cutter.

Ratchet Rake will also allow you to pull out moderately decayed stumps 3" diameter after one year.

You cannot do these things with your unadorned bucket.

Ratchet Rake is also excellent for piling brush. Better than a Landscape Rake.

Ratchet Rake is a FORCE MULTIPLIER when performing Rotary Cutter tasks.

RATCHET RAKE YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=RATCHET+RAKE

Attachments

• DSC00341.jpg
    DSC00341.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:
   / About time to get started #3  
I predict you're gonna want a bigger tractor and mower soon.

/ About time to get started #4  
That is A LOT of mowing for that size tractor. It takes me about 10 hours to cut about 15 acres of pretty tame field with a 6' cutter. I would hire someone with bigger equipment more like a D6 or trackhoe to clear it then you might be able to keep it cleared.

/ About time to get started #5  
Might need a chainsaw for the stuff over 3 inches. First mowing will be tough and slow. Going to take a LONG time with that tractor/mower. I would ask around for someone local to mow it the first time low and then you can maintain it with your setup.

/ About time to get started
My son has a tractor also. We plan on double teaming it at first to get it cleaned up. I know it still take a while. I do have a good chainsaw, I'm sure it will get a workout also.

/ About time to get started #7  
Good advice been given,watch out for bees nest and keep intake air clean for motor.

/ About time to get started #8  
To be honest, this sounds fun. If you were near me I'd offer a day of my help to claim some ground back. :steeringwheel:

/ About time to get started #9  
Bought some acreage this summer about the same shape yours is prob in. Already went through my 1st shear bolt because I was cutting too low and hit a log buried in thatch. So start as high as possible, first time around.

/ About time to get started #10  
put a wire/s through all the turnbuckles on the 3 pt hitch items... mainly the turn buckles for lower lift arms and top link. the large size bolt per say the nut on them will want to come un-done after so much vibration. a little wire through the nut like portion of it. and a couple wraps around things should keep things staying good.

make sure you have "slip clutch" adjusted on the rotary cutter (lamen term bush hog), if no slip clutch at the rotary cutter, then make sure you are using correct size "shear bolt" for your tractor.