Abrasion removal on Aluminum Wheel

/ Abrasion removal on Aluminum Wheel #11  
Thank you Eric , I appreciat that.
This an AMG rim
So, AMGs are a Mercedes. Kinda pricey. That changes things. I'm a retired machinist and even though I could afford an AMG I wouldn't buy one just because they don't appeal to me. I'm cheap when it comes to cars. However, if I did own one and could afford to hire out the repair I would instead do the work myself. Because I could. I might even have a lathe large enough to do any turning work. But I would instead use the car to provide the rotation. If I was you though I would find a wheel repair place to do the work unless you are confident that you can do the job to your own quality standards. From the picture the damage looks to be pretty deep, so it would be kinda hard to abrade it smooth and then blend the repair into the surrounding metal without the repair looking really obvious. That's why it looks to me like the area needs to be built up with weld and then shaped to match the rest of the wheel. I guess you need to judge that for yourself.
Eric

/ Abrasion removal on Aluminum Wheel
So, AMGs are a Mercedes. Kinda pricey. That changes things. I'm a retired machinist and even though I could afford an AMG I wouldn't buy one just because they don't appeal to me. I'm cheap when it comes to cars. However, if I did own one and could afford to hire out the repair I would instead do the work myself. Because I could. I might even have a lathe large enough to do any turning work. But I would instead use the car to provide the rotation. If I was you though I would find a wheel repair place to do the work unless you are confident that you can do the job to your own quality standards. From the picture the damage looks to be pretty deep, so it would be kinda hard to abrade it smooth and then blend the repair into the surrounding metal without the repair looking really obvious. That's why it looks to me like the area needs to be built up with weld and then shaped to match the rest of the wheel. I guess you need to judge that for yourself.
Eric
Now that I think about it I know where a body shop is and I will stop and ask them for a suggestion or an idea.
SL's are VERY expensive when new but on the older models they depreciate A LOT and you can buy them dirt cheap plus you can spend BIG money on repairs. thats probably part of the reason they depreciate so much plus they are over priced when new. I have only had 2 new vehicles ( 4 vehicles if you count tractors) in my life and I am 65 yrs old. The best and most reliable vehicle that I have ever had is a 2008 Tacoma 4 cylinder 5 speed 4X4 247000 miles which I bought used and it is my daily driver.
The biggest money pit that I ever had was a Land Rover Discovery The scratches on the Toyota wheels do not hurt near as bad as on the Benz

Last edited:
   / Abrasion removal on Aluminum Wheel #13  
My wife has a Macan and one of her wheels had a scuff on it. Our local Ford dealer has a guy who comes to the dealership to fix them. He just sands it smooth and polishes it out. Pretty simple and it looks really good after he is done. We got all 4 wheels re powder coated after that was fixed.