AC Thermostat question

/ AC Thermostat question #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I have PRO T855 thermostat for my HVAC system. It's been replaced twice and it's not working again. I'm tired of them replacing it with the exact same thing. The first two times it was under warrantee. Now it's gonna cost me. I might complain enough to get them to do it again for free, but then again, they might not. More important, I'm sure that the next one will stop working too, and I'd like to find something better.

What's a good replacement Thermostat for a PRO T855?

Thank you,
Eddie

/ AC Thermostat question #3  
I'm finishing my new house. I spent a small fortune on the extra heavy duty slab foundation and the blown in insulation.

Summers here, humidity on the way! 5 days in the low 90s and my house has yet to get above 73 degrees! Haha...no, the AC has not turned in yet.

I bought the cheapest thermostat i could, i do not like programmable anything because....I can't ever make them work.

I put in a Trane heatpump. The installer told me to take my cheap thermostat back. I must use the Trane supplied thermostat or....no warranty.

The Trane thermostat was included so no extra cost.

/ AC Thermostat question #4  
I have a dual fuel heatpump setup. I am on my fourth thermostat, and the latest one has worked well for several years. Venstar Colortouch T7850.

/ AC Thermostat question #5  
I put a prestige IAQ kit on my furnace/AC about 5 years ago. Has worked well.

I have the prestige both in my house and shop, it’s an excellent thermostat, and configurable for almost any installation, including dual fuel. Some of the newer high efficiency equipment requires a “communicating” thermostat tha uses serial data rather than simple switching for control, then you are pretty much stuck with the OEM.

/ AC Thermostat question #6  
We built in 2009. Have 2 Trane systems with the Trane auto-season thermostats, 3 1/2 ton for living areas and 2 1/2 ton for the bedrooms. Have never had a major issue with either system, including the thermostats. Thermostats stay set at 68-72 degrees year round. Under 68 the heater kicks on. Over 72 the AC kicks on. The unit for the bedrooms does kick down to 66 degrees from 10 pm to 6 am. Simple to program.

/ AC Thermostat question #7  
Honeywell manufactures most of the thermostats. Any standard heat pump thermostat can replace the T855. Unless you want to program the times/temperatures, a simple non-programable Honeywell is a good value. Trane purchases some of there thermostats from Honeywell and puts their name on them.

When changing the thermostat, just match the wire colors to the colors on the thermostat terminals.

/ AC Thermostat question #8  
With Honeywell, stay away from the new T6 series (been out for a couple years now, hit or miss).

I have 3 Honeywell Vision Pro TH832 t-stats in my home when they literally first came out, total of about 35 years service between them, and hadn't had to replace one yet. Even though they are programable, what I love about them is simple to figure out and you can take out the programing if you want.

Honeywell TH832 wifi is a cool t-stat if you want to use, check and control with your phone, but the best wifi t-stat out there is the Ecobee IMO.

ECO.png

Aprilaire makes a great basic cheaper thermostat than Honeywell IMO. If I wanted somewhat simple (people get afraid of all the buttones LOL) and price competitive, it would be a 8466

APRILAIRE.png

If you want non programable and spend more money, Honeywell Focus Pro TH522 series.

Any Honeywell t-stat you buy at a box store only has a one year warranty. Generally if a t-stat is going to go bad, it happens within 13 or 14 months during heating or cooling cycles.

Honeywell shines with their Redlink wireless connecting those t-stats to indoor air quality and zoning, but unless you go into the TH8 series or older focus pro series, could be a hit or miss. All honeywell tstats are made in mexico or some third world country now if that matters.

Thing is, Aprilaire tstats generally has no issues, but Aprilaire shines with indoor air quality.

Talk to your contractor and see what he would offer and have him install it and warranty it. If I'm a good contractor, I'd warranty it for 10 years myself because if a t-stat keeps breaking down, I'm not buying them, and when people think it's the t-stat's issue, genearlly it's the systems issue and I'd want to be the first call to check it out.

/ AC Thermostat question #9  
I have a Honeywell WiFi Stat on my Heil Heat Pump with Propane back up. Works fantastic. Nice thing is I can heat up or cool down the house right from an App on my phone before I get home. The only thing I did different was I used a separate Honeywell Outdoor Temp Sensor instead of the one in the Heat Pump. It gives a truer ambient outdoor temp than the one in the heat pump.

/ AC Thermostat question
With Honeywell, stay away from the new T6 series (been out for a couple years now, hit or miss).

I have 3 Honeywell Vision Pro TH832 t-stats in my home when they literally first came out, total of about 35 years service between them, and hadn't had to replace one yet. Even though they are programable, what I love about them is simple to figure out and you can take out the programing if you want.

Honeywell TH832 wifi is a cool t-stat if you want to use, check and control with your phone, but the best wifi t-stat out there is the Ecobee IMO.

View attachment 700074

Aprilaire makes a great basic cheaper thermostat than Honeywell IMO. If I wanted somewhat simple (people get afraid of all the buttones LOL) and price competitive, it would be a 8466

View attachment 700073

If you want non programable and spend more money, Honeywell Focus Pro TH522 series.

Any Honeywell t-stat you buy at a box store only has a one year warranty. Generally if a t-stat is going to go bad, it happens within 13 or 14 months during heating or cooling cycles.

Honeywell shines with their Redlink wireless connecting those t-stats to indoor air quality and zoning, but unless you go into the TH8 series or older focus pro series, could be a hit or miss. All honeywell tstats are made in mexico or some third world country now if that matters.

Thing is, Aprilaire tstats generally has no issues, but Aprilaire shines with indoor air quality.

Talk to your contractor and see what he would offer and have him install it and warranty it. If I'm a good contractor, I'd warranty it for 10 years myself because if a t-stat keeps breaking down, I'm not buying them, and when people think it's the t-stat's issue, genearlly it's the systems issue and I'd want to be the first call to check it out.
Thank you for your advice and suggesting Aprilaire. I ordered it from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. It took a lot longer to get here then expected, but that seems to be the new normal for a lot of things. Installation was pretty simple. Almost instantly, we noticed a huge difference. For whatever reason, the previous one wasn't doing a good job of removing the humidity. Now we are very comfortable inside our home!!!!