Accidentally put 15w40 in transmission

/ Accidentally put 15w40 in transmission #1  

jzakrie

Tractor
KIOTI CS2210
hello. I did such a dumb thing today. New to ow ing a Kioti CS2210.
I noticed some fuild had been building up on the back "end" of the tractor, where I hook the 3 pt attachments. So, figured I have a leak. I found the dip stick and sure enough it was not reading any fluid. (This is where inexperience comes in) The sticker and fill cap both said OIL. I went to my handy dandy manual and looked up what type of oil....15w40 motor oil. Ran to the store and got some. Put almost the whole gallon in, nothing on the stick...so I went back to the manual. Thats when I realized I had put 15w40 in the hydrostatic transmission. Duh. I felt so stupid.

So now what? I did not run the engine after I put the fluid in and it is in neutral.

I realize I have the other issue of rhe leak and that there was no transmission fluid in there... thats one issue.

But my current concern is the wrong oil in the transmission. Anyone know how bad this really is? Can I just drain it, change the filters and put the correct oil in? Does it need professionally flushed?

/ Accidentally put 15w40 in transmission #2  
If it were mine I would drain it and put the correct fluid in.

/ Accidentally put 15w40 in transmission
After I drain it, will any of the 15w40 mess up anything? Seals? Orings? Parts in there?

Thats why I asked if it should be professionally flushed....

/ Accidentally put 15w40 in transmission #5  
I'd drain and try to find the leak.
You might end up going through a lot of fluid.
The tranny holds about 3 and a half gallons.
If Kioti is anything like Kubota your good Kioti oil is a pretty penny. You might want to put in an inexpensive generic tranny fluid a little lighter than the spec, get it warmed up well then drain it and use that for burn piles etc. Then put in your good oil.

th

Last edited:
It is under warranty...I need to call them about the leak. Should I just let them drain it? I dont want to void rhe warranty.

I'd drain and try to find the leak.
You might end up going through a lot of fluid.
The tranny holds about 3 and a half gallons.
If Kioti is anything like Kubota your good Kioti oil is a pretty penny. You might want to put in an inexpensive generic tranny fluid a little lighter than the spec, get it warmed up well then drain it and use that for burn piles etc. Then put in your good oil.

th
Thats a good idea. Thank you.
Yes, im assuming its going to be expensive. I need the leak address but that should be covered by the warranty. I just didn't want them to void me because of my mistake today.

/ Accidentally put 15w40 in transmission #9  
If it were mine I would drain it and put the correct fluid in.
This. Probably filter just because new fluid. I don't think the 5 drops left after the drain will hurt a thing.

Best,

ed

/ Accidentally put 15w40 in transmission #10  
Eaton Hydrostatic units RUN on engine oil. (also work fine on UTTO)

So don't sweat the cross mixing. Since it's going in for a leak fix under warrantee, just ask for a full fluid refresh!.