Acetylene regulator issues

/ Acetylene regulator issues #1  

Sebculb

Gold Member
Tractor
'97 Deere 310D Backhoe
Hey everyone,

So recently I got a used oxy acetylene kit to fix an issue on my backhoe. Actually that was just the final excuse but it's a toy I've wanted for quite a while. It's a cool toy!

So the broken doohicky saga is resolved for now on the hoe, but towards the end of it my acetylene regulator started acting up. First it wouldn't allow pressure to pass through even though there was plenty of gas in the tank. I took it apart and cleaned it. Lotsa corrosion dust and a fine screen at the inlet that was gummed up.

Put it back together and now it let's gas through just fine, but only nominally regulates the pressure while the torch is on. If I turn the flow to the torch off the pressure starts rising rapidly in the hose to above 15psi which has me scampering across the work area to turn off the cylinder knob and then open the torch to relieve the pressure in the hose. Almost comical except for the whole blowing up part.

So is this common? Can I fix it? Did I ruin it? This is a cheap Chinese thing, not a fancy Víctor or anything and it had obviously been sitting around for a while. Also my oxygen regulator "chatters" and sorta squeaks periodically. Is that worth worrying about?

Alternately I'm going back to the states for a visit next week, should I just buy a new set? Are the cheap ones for $30 on amazon okay or should I buy "real" ones? Víctor costs close to $200 for a set of regulators. Lincoln electric has a whole set of tips and hoses for that much. Is that Lincoln stuff good? Last I looked they do arc welding stuff.

Thanks!

/ Acetylene regulator issues #2  
In my experience, regulators have become disposable... No one will work on them for liability reasons. Especially for acetylene, just get a new regulator. Depending on size, The Victor torch sets are very economical. My small Victor torch set has done just about everything needed for repair on my Deere 310c.

Remember the torch set is limited by your tank size. Too big a torch will over draw a small tank. Check your tank size before purchasing a torch.

/ Acetylene regulator issues #3  
Dumb question but how far are you opening the valve on your acetylene tank? Bought a cheap regulator once broke where you screwed it on the tank. Never again.

/ Acetylene regulator issues
In my experience, regulators have become disposable... No one will work on them for liability reasons. Especially for acetylene, just get a new regulator. Depending on size, The Victor torch sets are very economical. My small Victor torch set has done just about everything needed for repair on my Deere 310c.

Remember the torch set is limited by your tank size. Too big a torch will over draw a small tank. Check your tank size before purchasing a torch.
Thanks, I lucked into some pretty big tanks buying the used kit. The stuff is expensive here in Costa rica! I think a 3kg acetylene tank translates to 145 cf and it costs about $250 to trade them out here. The oxygen for a bigger tank only costs $100.

Thinking of getting torches and such for a oxy propane kit and using that for everything that's not specifically welding.

Dumb question but how far are you opening the valve on your acetylene tank? Bought a cheap regulator once broke where you screwed it on the tank. Never again.
I only open the cylinder knob like 1/2 to 1 turn.

Okay, one vote for buying the good equipment, thanks. I am paying attention.

/ Acetylene regulator issues #6  
Due to the unstable nature of acetylene, i am with Hosspuller. I just tossed one last month. But then, no loss, it was 40 years old and was a victor gauge. I know you can send them in to be re-calibrated or repaired. But today - $50-$150 will buy another gauge, even some victor gauges. It is not worth the chance. And, of course you know, 15 is getting high enough to represent a problem - you were right to scramble back to the guage. Even if you get it behaving correctly, you cannot ever trust it again. It is not worth the worry. Also, the amount you open the tank is a safety shut-off practice. There is no difference in pressure presented to the gauge wide open or slightly cracked. Best wishes, Larry

/ Acetylene regulator issues #7  
Due to the unstable nature of acetylene, i am with Hosspuller. I just tossed one last month. But then, no loss, it was 40 years old and was a victor gauge. I know you can send them in to be re-calibrated or repaired. But today - $50-$150 will buy another gauge, even some victor gauges. It is not worth the chance. And, of course you know, 15 is getting high enough to represent a problem - you were right to scramble back to the guage. Even if you get it behaving correctly, you cannot ever trust it again. It is not worth the worry. Also, the amount you open the tank is a safety shut-off practice. There is no difference in pressure presented to the gauge wide open or slightly cracked. Best wishes, Larry

I only open the cylinder knob like 1/2 to 1 turn.

Okay, one vote for buying the good equipment, thanks. I am paying attention.
For some reason I was holding on to this cheap regulator, maybe to scrap or warn friends of this cheap stuff. Anyways how and why does anyone think using an Eclip for the process of securing this acetylene regulator to a tank is safe, or acceptable. Buyers beware!

Attachments

• KIMG0704.JPG
    KIMG0704.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 132
   / Acetylene regulator issues #8  
You may be pulling the acetylene out of the tank faster than it can deliver. Look up the old 1/7th rule. The gum you speak of is likely acetone. Once it gets out of the tank and into the hose your problems will persist

You may be pulling the acetylene out of the tank faster than it can deliver. Look up the old 1/7th rule. The gum you speak of is likely acetone. Once it gets out of the tank and into the hose your problems will persist
I'm new to acetylene but in reading up on it beforehand I got to understanding it pretty well. That's why I went for a used setup with big tanks instead of buying small new ones. The small ones just might not do it for some things.

Anyways, it may have upchugged a little but I've only used the small welding tip and a small cutting torch a little bit. Perhaps it got gummed up with the previous owner, it was a construction outfit that used it for cutting beams and they gave me some big ol' cutting torches and extra hose as a bonus.

/ Acetylene regulator issues #10  
The small tanks will cost a premium for a cuft of gas. Good you went a little larger. I have a set of the very small tanks for HVAC work. But I never use them for anything else, they don't last long and the refill for both tanks I think is about $17 and $34.

Last edited: