Actual lift capacity mx 5400

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #21  
Loaded tires on a MX weigh about 1000#. And an implement weighs an average of 600#. Are you saying that this is still not sufficient for ballast to lift at max capacity?
I don't think loaded tires weigh (or add) 1000 lbs, that sounds high to me. And Yes, everything will be a lot more comfy if you have a good heavy implement on the 3pt. First try won't kill you, go try it yourself.

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #22  
I don't think loaded tires weigh (or add) 1000 lbs, that sounds high to me. And Yes, everything will be a lot more comfy if you have a good heavy implement on the 3pt. First try won't kill you, go try it yourself.
I guess my question wasn’t clear. Your original post led me to think you are saying that loaded tires and 600# implement wasn’t enough ballast.

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #23  
On my MX5400, I notice that if I have my 900 lb bucket on the front (which is HUGE and extends far from the pin), and if I have only my 630 lb rear blade on, the tractor definitely dances a bit if I'm not careful. It's much more stable if I have my 700lb rotary cutter on the back, which extends something like 9 feet behind the 3PT. (I have loaded tires).

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #24  
On my MX5400, I notice that if I have my 900 lb bucket on the front (which is HUGE and extends far from the pin), and if I have only my 630 lb rear blade on, the tractor definitely dances a bit if I'm not careful. It's much more stable if I have my 700lb rotary cutter on the back, which extends something like 9 feet behind the 3PT. (I have loaded tires).
Thanks. Good to know. I will be taking delivery of my MX6000 in a few weeks (with loaded tires).

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #25  
Yes, you need ballast to properly utilize the lift capacity of the MX. I use either my 1000 lb box blade or more likely, my 1500 lb backhoe. It is essential.

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #26  
Yes, you need ballast to properly utilize the lift capacity of the MX. I use either my 1000 lb box blade or more likely, my 1500 lb backhoe. It is essential.
Do you use implements plus loaded tires? Loaded tires are approximately 800 pounds and implement adds another 600-1000 pounds.

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #28  
I have Rim Guard in my rear tires - 1775#. I have a Rhino 950/8 foot rear blade on the 3-point - 1050#. I can lift very heavy chunks of Ponderosa pine and still have the rear tires lift off the ground. I've tried lifting a ten foot chunk of my ancient Ponderosa pine and had rear tire lift off. For the REALLY heavy stuff - logs or rocks - I use the "grip and drag" technique.

I can stack big rocks - up to 2750# - into a double high row - safely. I must be at a complete stop and on flat, level, hard ground. Lift and move forward the necessary distance.

IMG_0009.jpeg

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #29  
I guess my question wasn’t clear. Your original post led me to think you are saying that loaded tires and 600# implement wasn’t enough ballast.
IT was my original statement, and YES I am saying that loaded rears and a 600# implement is NOT enough.

Will it be enough to lift some pretty hefty logs....sure. When I tow my dump trailer to the woods to load logs I dont have the option of also having an implement because I use the tractor to tow the trailer. I load some big logs.....if I cant lift it....I just cut it shorter. My limitation is not the strength of the loader, rather the lack of rear weight.

Loading tires is great, and its step 1....but that doesnt do anything to unload some weight off the much smaller front axle. So if you want to use the front loader to max capacity...you need something on the 3PH.

Now when I say 600# isnt enough....thats only partly true. Because you have a lever effect. Think of it in terms of ft-lb.

By bushhog is 1620 pouns. Its center of weigh is about 5' behind the center of the rear axle. SO in other words...I have 8100ft-lbs of counter weight about the rear axle.

My rear blade is 1250lbs. Its center is a little farther back at about 6' back. So about 7500ft-lbs of counterweight.

SO.....that said, 600# mounted on a boom bole about 12-13 foot back would have the same effect

When it comes to weight BEHIND the axle, TWO things to increase effectiveness. Weigh, and length. Bushhogs are good, they stick way back. Box blades or tillers are less effective. A 800 pound bushhog is WAY better for ballast than a 800 pound box blade. Now whether they are practical for your uses or whether the length will be a hinderance if you are in tight areas, only YOU can answer.

Regarding tire ballast.....The R1 (ag) tires hold about 45 gallons per tire. Mine are filled with windshield washer fluid. So thats only ~342 lbs per tire....Just shy of 700# for the pair. Rimguard is ~11 pounds per gallon so you could get 1000 pounds with them.

But again.....not nearly as effective as weight farther back. Think of this, your 3PH arms are already about 3' behind the rear axle....some even something short like a ballast box or tiller thats gonna put it another foot back, for a total of 4' behind the rear axle......your 1000 pound tire ballast is essentially only as effective as a light 250lb implement hanging off the back. So keep that in mind when your thinking that 1000lb of ballast is alot

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #30  
IT was my original statement, and YES I am saying that loaded rears and a 600# implement is NOT enough.

Will it be enough to lift some pretty hefty logs....sure. When I tow my dump trailer to the woods to load logs I dont have the option of also having an implement because I use the tractor to tow the trailer. I load some big logs.....if I cant lift it....I just cut it shorter. My limitation is not the strength of the loader, rather the lack of rear weight.

Loading tires is great, and its step 1....but that doesnt do anything to unload some weight off the much smaller front axle. So if you want to use the front loader to max capacity...you need something on the 3PH.

Now when I say 600# isnt enough....thats only partly true. Because you have a lever effect. Think of it in terms of ft-lb.

By bushhog is 1620 pouns. Its center of weigh is about 5' behind the center of the rear axle. SO in other words...I have 8100ft-lbs of counter weight about the rear axle.

My rear blade is 1250lbs. Its center is a little farther back at about 6' back. So about 7500ft-lbs of counterweight.

SO.....that said, 600# mounted on a boom bole about 12-13 foot back would have the same effect

When it comes to weight BEHIND the axle, TWO things to increase effectiveness. Weigh, and length. Bushhogs are good, they stick way back. Box blades or tillers are less effective. A 800 pound bushhog is WAY better for ballast than a 800 pound box blade. Now whether they are practical for your uses or whether the length will be a hinderance if you are in tight areas, only YOU can answer.

Regarding tire ballast.....The R1 (ag) tires hold about 45 gallons per tire. Mine are filled with windshield washer fluid. So thats only ~342 lbs per tire....Just shy of 700# for the pair. Rimguard is ~11 pounds per gallon so you could get 1000 pounds with them.

But again.....not nearly as effective as weight farther back. Think of this, your 3PH arms are already about 3' behind the rear axle....some even something short like a ballast box or tiller thats gonna put it another foot back, for a total of 4' behind the rear axle......your 1000 pound tire ballast is essentially only as effective as a light 250lb implement hanging off the back. So keep that in mind when your thinking that 1000lb of ballast is alot
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.