Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice.

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #11  
   / Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #12  
Kenny, I have a question for you, I have a JCB with aux hook-up in the front, ( I presume this is for a clam bucket that I don't have ) in the winter I remove the bucket and QA a plow with manual swing, it does have the locations for hydraulic cylinders,....
I would also like to add cylinders and a cross-over but heres my dilemma, My main relief is set at 3200 and my flow is in the area of 15gpm, any ideas would be appreciated.
Would this cross over work for me or is the flow and relief set to low for my application.

I think it will work just fine as long as you add two SA cylinders. You will never reach 15 GPM going to the small angle cylinders, and the flow is very brief anyway-not like it would be operating a motor. Any small restriction maybe be a benefit to help keep the plow from moving to fast anyway.

As for the pressure, it does not matter what your main PRV is set for, that really protects the pump and lines before the joystick valve, and has no effect after the joystick valve when it's in neutral.

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #13  
Crossover valves only work with a pair of SA cylinders. They wont work across a DA cylinder. So as long as a pair of SA cylinders are used on the plow, no issues.

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #14  
Thanks Kenny for that info, LD1,, you bring up a good point, can I use just a single DA cylinder without a crossover?

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #15  
can I use just a single DA cylinder without a crossover?

You can but I wouldnt suggest it. You will have no protection for your hoses and cylinder in the event you hit something and cause a pressure spike.

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #16  
Thanks Kenny for that info, LD1,, you bring up a good point, can I use just a single DA cylinder without a crossover?

You can but I wouldnt suggest it. You will have no protection for your hoses and cylinder in the event you hit something and cause a pressure spike.

And the side without the cylinder is unsupported, so it may need to be reinforced.

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice.
Thanks Kenny and LD1. I had a feeling there was something I needed to add to operate the blade wings independently, and now I've got a much better understanding. I appreciate your willingness to help.

Jerry

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice.
I second the baileys cylinders. They snowplow cylinders are alot cheaper than if sourced though a snowplow parts website, and a ton cheaper than OEM. Those 1.5" x 10" cylinders are about what every plow uses for angle cylinders. But there are some slight differences in where the hydraulic port gets located, and the size of the holes.

Your hydraulics are not going to work as-is. You need another valve. You need to be able to control each wing individually. So on your FEL valve, up and down can be up and down on the plow. Left and right can work for one of the V-wings. But you need a valve to control the other. If you hooked the two hoses of the SA cylinders to the two curl ports, the plow would only act as a straight blade, with no V or no scoop.

I also dont advise the single crossover valve. You will need a separate pressure relief valve that will return to tank for EACH of the angle cylinders. Cause with a V plow, if you are in scoop position and catch something with one of the extended wings, there is no room to dump the fluid into the other cylinder as it is already extended. So it is possible to blow BOTH cylinders and lines if you hit something hard.

Thanks guys.

Further questions for you. As a reminder my tractor hydraulics have a working pressure of 2250#, pump capacity 8.4 GPM, open center.

First, what kind (or name) of a valve am I looking for? Are diagonal valves and double selector valves the same thing? And is there one you can recommend that will allow me to control one wing of my v-plow and be mounted conveniently in my cab? I'm thinking of maybe a valve that could be mounted behind the dashboard with a switch to the operator, or more desirable, a valve mounted remotely with a solenoid wired to a toggle or pushbutton on the dash?

I'm close to having all the parts and materials together to start the build except for things like hoses that will be measured as needed.

Thanks again for ideas and suggestions.

Jerry

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #19  
You need a 3-way, 3-position valve for each of the cylinders. So you need 2 valves. Weather its remote operated solenoid, or hand lever type.

A 3-way, 3-position works like follows:

It is called 3-way, because there are 3 ports. 1. Inlet 2. Work 3. Return/tank

Pulling the lever one direction will open the inlet to the work, allowing the cylinder to extend.
Center position (neutral) blocks the work port and holds the cylinder in place. If a closed center, it blocks the tank and inlet as well. If open center, it allows fluid to pass through the valve and return to tank without building pressure, but still holds the cylinder in place.
Position 3 (If position 1 was pulling, this would be pushing), opens the work port to the tank to allow the cylinder to bleed down.

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #20  
Those 3-way valves are harder to find than a 4-way valve made for a DA cylinder. I just realized that.

One option if you havent got cylinders yet, would be to use DA cylinders. Since a conventional crossover valve wont work on a v-plow anyway, you can use 2 DA cylinders and forget the spring return crap.

Then use 2 valves like this 12 VDC 5 GPM OC DA HYDRAFORCE SOLENOID VALVE
Which is a tandem center valve so in neutral position the pump relieves to tank but still holds the cylinders in place.

And then use two of these 1/2" NPT 30 GPM 1500-3000 PSI RELIEF VALVE RV-H4 or these 1/2 NPT 16 GPM 1000-2500 PSI RELIEF VALVE inline on your extend lines, that are tee'd into the return line so if you kit something with the edge of the plow, it has a relief.

IF you are concerned about backing up and catching something, you can use 4 of them on each one of the lines.