Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice.

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice.
Thanks LD1. I haven't bought angle cylinders yet and I've been looking on the internet at various options of valves and SA and DA cylinders. I like the idea of DA cylinders because they would seem to offer a more positive control. Originally I thought I'd stay with the way the Boss system was designed (spring return). I thought it would be simpler and cheaper, but now I'm finding that's not the case if I want a fully functional V-plow on my particular tractor.

So, as of now I'm following your suggestions and going with the DA cylinders. If you have further ideas for me please post them. Otherwise I'll be posting updates and asking questions as my project progresses.

Thanks again,
Jerry

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #22  
You can still get a fully functional v-plow with SA cylinders, just a bit harder IMO.

The way a boss or any plows power unit is set up only runs the pump when needed. Thus they use closed center valves to hold cylinders once in position.

If using Most common 3-way valves for a SA cylinder are either open center or closed center. You would need a tandem center 3-position, where center holds the cylinder in place but allows pump flow to return to tank. One direction fills the cylinder. The other allows it to return to tank, but also allows pump to return to tank. Given the tractors flow rate, and smaller lines, with only a weak spring to return, the spring has to fight the pump to retract. I think it will be slow. Again, on a snowplow, there is no pump flow to fight unless you are doing another function at the same time. Given the low flow rates, that "other" function takes alot of that fight away.

I hope that makes sense.

In either case, you cannot use a crossover valve weather DA or SA cylinders. There is no protection with both wings extended.

So, if going SA you need:
2 inline reliefs
2 SA cylinders
2 3-way valves

If going DA, you need:
2 inline reliefs.....thats a wash
2 DA cylinders....not much price diff.
2 4-way valves.....easier to find and probably cheaper as a result.

You will need a few more hoses with DA though.

In your case, I see no reason not to go DA. But then I have been up over 24 hrs and getting ready for a nap now, so I might not be thinking clearly.