Add on backhoe ?

/ Add on backhoe ? #1  

Lilguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
I would like to get a backhoe for my place. Looking at 3pth mounted units, not sure it's the best way to go. My L2250 is 30 years old and I don't want to wreck it. Does any company make frame mounted units for older tractors?

/ Add on backhoe ? #2  
Well, I can only tell you that my 32 year old tractor has been fine with the 5' Liberty (3-pt) I bought 3 or 4 years back. I used it a lot at first but have since slacked off. I used it about 3 weeks ago for two good sized jobs. If you have a front end loader then you have a subframe as well which beefs up the tractor. That's why 4 years ago I didn't sweat all the comments I read about stressing the frame- and those comments will appear here in short order. There are a few topics at TBN that seem to generate contentious debate bordering on animosity. This is, unfortunately one of them.:D

I use the backhoe 5-6 times a year and didn't want to spend $9k plus. Also at the time I was thinking about getting a bigger (LS) so a frame mount was out of the question. I needed to dig a long trench for a fiber-optic run on a job-site and at the time I figured I'd buy the Liberty, do the job then sell it. The money I was making plus the sale of the liberty would have given me the cash for the LS. Long story short, a medical issue derailed that plan and I kept the Ford and the Liberty with few regrets.

Size the backhoe to your machine in any case. If you'll only be doing sporadic work the 3-pt unit should be fine.

/ Add on backhoe ? #3  
Sorry, I don't have anything to offer. Just subscribing because I'm in the same boat now.

I did read all the concerns about using the 3pt mount and breaking the tractor. I feel those concerns could be of importance for my uses which are mostly going to be stump and rock removal.

/ Add on backhoe ? #4  
Why not see what the company made to fit the model you have over what span of years. You probably will find it's a long span. Then set up an Email search on all the regional Craigs lists . When you see one jump on it. I see a lot of small Kubota hoes kicking around all the time . People buy them use them a few times then decide they don't use them enough to keep tripping over. You can find real nice ones for about $7500 (which is about all they are worth anyways).
Mine came with a sub frame mount and is nice because I can take mine off in about 10 minutes. We got ours at big discount from Massey due to having horses -28% discount that brought it down to about what it is worth. For some reason or other they were awash in the things the last few years. I had to wait for them to literally cast mine last summer. Nice to have though and many a stump has fallen to it. One thing for sure. You definitely should have a sub frame rather than a 3 pt setup. Mine bounces around enough digging in the tough ground we have here . All that twisting and yanking might just break something important back there where mine will easily pick up the whole 5000 lbs worth of rig and drag it nicely around. Too bad they're suddenly so darned expensive, they sure are handy if you own a large piece of land.