Add SNowblower Extensions or Get Wider Blower

/ Add SNowblower Extensions or Get Wider Blower
I have extension plates for the snowblower on my Unimog. When dealing with the really stiff drifts the plates add just enough resistance that I cannot push into a drift to break it up. In which case I have to remove them. But for normal (loose or lightly packed) snow the gathering plates work great. So I'd say if you have difficult conditions go with the wider blower. If you only deal with dry, loose snow the gathering plates work great. Wet snow is another issue -- but that's why they invented lubricating sprays.

That's a very good point. I hadn't thought about cutting into the banks with an extension and I usually end up doing that towards the end of the season, when the snow banks have frozen and thawed a few times. They're really hard then and I can imagine it would take a lot to force a wing into it. Most likely outcome is a bent wing or blower end plate, or the tractor gets pulled sideways or it just won't go.

/ Add SNowblower Extensions or Get Wider Blower #12  
Chim, I have some questions for you, if you don't mind.

Is that a Kubota blower and if so, which model?
Did you have to go slower with the wings added?
I'm wondering if the blower could process the extra volume at the same travel speed or not?
Also how much width did you add?

It's a Pronovost Puma 64. Bought used 5 years ago. It needed some mostly cosmetic work and I added electric chute controls. First pic is in a shop at work with controls fitted and ready for some orange paint. Second pic is in the driveway after disassembly for re-furb.

Yes, but I can't quantify that. Since the wings and the front plow were added about the same time, the blower hasn't been used enough to evaluate it properly.

I think around 8" on each side.

The last picture shows bucket extensions I used on the L3200. With this "Amish Snow Pusher" on the front and the blower on the rear, I thought it was the greatest thing. So the theory was to make the blower wider for the new-to-me L4240 we got last December and make bucket extensions for it. Then instead of making bucket extensions for the L4249, there was a deal that couldn't be passed up on the 8' Fisher and the new project was adapting the plow. After using the plow, the snow blower was relegated to being rear ballast.

Attachments

• In Shop.jpg
    In Shop.jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Apart.jpg
    Apart.jpg
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Box Bucket.jpg
    Box Bucket.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 104
   / Add SNowblower Extensions or Get Wider Blower
I finally got around to making some extensions and will give them a try when we get some snow. I went with 3" on each side, which gives me a total width of 80"

Here are some pics of the partially completed wings. Just need to finish the welds and then add some support brackets / stiffeners.

DSCN3008.JPGDSCN3009.JPGDSCN3010.JPG