Adding 3rd function for grapple

/ Adding 3rd function for grapple #11  
I also went with the W.R. Long kit, in fact I bought it with the grapple from Everything Attachments Wicked Root Grapples
and it was really pretty easy to install.
Only tool I needed to get was a crowsfoot wrench to hook up the hydraulic lines under the seat/ on top of the axle. I tried and tried with wrenches and adjustable wrenches for 30 minutes. Bought the crowsfoot (a set for maybe $19) and boom, done in 2 minutes!

/ Adding 3rd function for grapple #12  
Most of the aftermarket 3rd funtions seem to be an easy install. I went with a Summit kit on my MT 235he. I just bought a 6x4 inch strip of metal or whatever at a hardware store and just bent it around the existing connections. And used the existing mounting bolts. Just used a little longer bolts. It even worked with my LS rear remotes when they finally got here a year later. If you use the Summit kit it has the buttons instead of the switch and you don’t really need to cut the oem handle shorter if you don’t want to but there will be a gap with the rubber boot.

/ Adding 3rd function for grapple #13  
there is a few options you could go for ...

1. you can get a single 3-spool valve that replaces your existing loader valve. This is probably the most expensive option Ive check and its around $1000
2. You can get a single spool valve hook in series if you have power beyond on your existing control spool valves .. (that's the option I did valve cost like $200 plus hoses)
3. You can get an 3rd function valve.. like many have mentioned but usually with this option you can't use the tilt with the grappler.
4. you could get a manual directional valve just like the 3rd function kit but it is manual... valves is like $60

/ Adding 3rd function for grapple #14  
Not sure this is helpful but will share:

I had an XR3135 with the 2 rear remotes. Wanted to add on a grapple. Short of taking it back to the dealer, the mechanic from the dealer proposed a second option: he came out, ran a set of hydraulic lines from the loader up under the chassis and back to the rear remotes. I could plug those in and use the side control handles to open/close grapple and the loader control stick for other functions. Maybe not the most ergonomic but only cost me $625 or something. when not in use, I ran a bungee off the base of the ROPS to keep the hydraulic lines out of the way and free up the remotes for other things. Wish I had pictures of that set up... ex has that tractor now.

/ Adding 3rd function for grapple #15  
Not sure this is helpful but will share:

I had an XR3135 with the 2 rear remotes. Wanted to add on a grapple. Short of taking it back to the dealer, the mechanic from the dealer proposed a second option: he came out, ran a set of hydraulic lines from the loader up under the chassis and back to the rear remotes. I could plug those in and use the side control handles to open/close grapple and the loader control stick for other functions. Maybe not the most ergonomic but only cost me $625 or something. when not in use, I ran a bungee off the base of the ROPS to keep the hydraulic lines out of the way and free up the remotes for other things. Wish I had pictures of that set up... ex has that tractor now.
I have the MT335H with the 2 rear remotes. Do you remember what length the long hoses where. I saw a video where an individual with a slightly larger LS tractor said he used 14' hoses. Did you use 1/2" hoses? Thanks for any info.

/ Adding 3rd function for grapple #16  
I don't.... I just ordered an Mt335h and just got the rear remote. Dealer didn't seem to keen on doing that retrofit again, different mechanic there now.

I wish I could go measure the hoses for you but sadly the ex-wife has that tractor. It was a pretty slick retrofit, ran it for 3-4 years with zero issues. will see if I can find any old pics

/ Adding 3rd function for grapple #17  
Found a pic with the grapple on... they ran the hose over the right loader arm with the rest of the hydraulics. Sorry, about all I got

20180620_164934.jpg

/ Adding 3rd function for grapple #18  
I don't.... I just ordered an Mt335h and just got the rear remote. Dealer didn't seem to keen on doing that retrofit again, different mechanic there now.

I wish I could go measure the hoses for you but sadly the ex-wife has that tractor. It was a pretty slick retrofit, ran it for 3-4 years with zero issues. will see if I can find any old pics
I guess I will just feed a length of garden hose on see what I end up with. This is my first tractor of my own and for all the options and the price it seems like the MT335H can't be beat. A dealer 20 miles from my property had one in stock with 10 hrs on it and I jumped on it. He had new LB1100 backhoe that was a take off and had been sitting for awhile. He gave me a deal on that so he installed it and delivered both for free.

What is the wait time on your MT335H?

I always had local people who would do any work I needed for next to nothing. Some died or moved south. Now you can't get anybody unless you pay big time. So I had never paid attention to tractor dealers nearby. There is Kubota,NH, Kiote,Bobcat,Mahindra and all within a half hour of my place!They all wanted $350 to deliver. This LS dealer seemed much more down to earth.

What size and make is that grapple?

Last edited:
   / Adding 3rd function for grapple #19  
They have a Mt335h on the lot... I am grabbing that one. Should be delivered in 1 week or so.
3rd function is $1395 at the dealer. That's going to take the week to get installed. Honestly, for $750 more than the retrofit, not the worst thing to have the button right on the loader control and frees up both remotes (not likely to be an issue but hey).

I think I am getting a 66" version of the CID seen here:

They have one of the "LS" labeled ones, it's more of a clam shell with two cylinders. better for grabbing smaller posts. I like the CID for grabbing a bunch of brush and small branches. It's also what I "know" so sticking with that.

/ Adding 3rd function for grapple #20  
Make sure to post pictures when it arrives; that LS blue is very photogenic.