Adding an Adjustable 4 Way Wedge

/ Adding an Adjustable 4 Way Wedge #11  
Pretty interesting project !! I can see a lot of thinking and time went into that. When you are running it do you find yourself setting it to center often or do you mostly leave it in one position until you have a drastic change in your wood size ?

gg

I use the size adjustment on mine a lot. I don’t really use it to change the wood size but to reduce making so much trash. The pieces coming off the bottom of a big piece are too big and need split in half again. If you push them through at the same height the wedge pulls splinters off them. If you raise the 4 way so it doesn’t contact the pieces going through the bottom it’s a cleaner job. There’s also smaller diameter pieces that don’t need 4 ways just in half and I raise the wedge to push them under.

/ Adding an Adjustable 4 Way Wedge #12  
Yeah it can be a pain sometimes. That is the problem with using stuff you have laying around. I had those two pieces laying on the floor and all I had to do was cut the bevel and before I knew it they were welded on. I had seen wedges like that but never tried it before. Now I do wish I had just made them from scratch. The vertical piece is only 3/4 and my thinking was at the time it might be easier on the whole thing if they were slanted back a little. Still most wood passes on through with no problem but there is always that problem child to deal with.

I built this one just to get a feel for all the extra things that went into it to see what works and what don't. I plan on building another one that hopefully I can be happy with and building this one helped a lot with laying it all out and getting all the parts in just the right spot. I thought a lot about just how to go about fabricating the adjustable wedge part and came up with what i ended up with. I almost went the way you did but I got tired of looking and thinking and started welding pieces until I ended up there. That part is plenty strong I just wish I had made the gap to fit a 1" piece of medal because now it would require re-fabricating the whole front end and it's not worth that to me.

That piece of 3/4" material is strong enough for the 4 way wedge not sure about a 6 way though. It's plenty fast with the 4 way, actually too fast when I'm splitting by myself which is most always how I roll because I spend more time clearing split wood out of the way that I actually do splitting.

I learned a lot building my old one but this was a whole new ball game witch help a lot for when I do my other one. Hopefully I can sell this one when I'm ready, so as to fund some of the new one I really want. I really wanted to build a processor with a saw, live deck and all the trimmings but don't think I need that any longer because all I need it for is my own use as I don't sell wood anymore. I collected parts for years for that build and have a lot of the stuff needed to do it. Ive been thinking about selling all the saw stuff that I got off an old log delimber/slasher machine I picked up years ago. That thing had a 5' bar so you could cut just about anything with it.

/ Adding an Adjustable 4 Way Wedge #13  
I use the size adjustment on mine a lot. I don’t really use it to change the wood size but to reduce making so much trash. The pieces coming off the bottom of a big piece are too big and need split in half again. If you push them through at the same height the wedge pulls splinters off them. If you raise the 4 way so it doesn’t contact the pieces going through the bottom it’s a cleaner job. There’s also smaller diameter pieces that don’t need 4 ways just in half and I raise the wedge to push them under.
Yeah those 4/6 way wedges do make a lot of trash wood and one that is adjustable is a lot better. I may add another cylinder for the lift this winter just don't know if I want to spend the time though. I made all the brackets and have a cylinder, I even cut the notch in the bottom of the wedge for the cylinder pin to slide into. I even have another valve I could use. There is a couple things I would need to change but I could probably get it going in a day or two.

/ Adding an Adjustable 4 Way Wedge #14  
Yeah those 4/6 way wedges do make a lot of trash wood and one that is adjustable is a lot better. I may add another cylinder for the lift this winter just don't know if I want to spend the time though. I made all the brackets and have a cylinder, I even cut the notch in the bottom of the wedge for the cylinder pin to slide into. I even have another valve I could use. There is a couple things I would need to change but I could probably get it going in a day or two.

Mine just lifts about 2 inches. It’s not as good as it could be but it was a simple mod and really cut down on making splinters. February 19, 2019

/ Adding an Adjustable 4 Way Wedge
reducing the line size to about half of what you have now would maybe help some you could do that with the line itself or with adapter fittings at the valve.
I already have a 1/32 inch flow reducer in the line and I'm running 1/4 inch lines. Going to a 1 1/2 inch cylinder more than doubles the surface area the fluid acts on so it will slow it down. Right now I'm too cheap to change it, but if it becomes a real issue I'll swap it out.

/ Adding an Adjustable 4 Way Wedge #16  
I already have a 1/32 inch flow reducer in the line and I'm running 1/4 inch lines. Going to a 1 1/2 inch cylinder more than doubles the surface area the fluid acts on so it will slow it down. Right now I'm too cheap to change it, but if it becomes a real issue I'll swap it out.
Ask a hundred different people how to slow down a cylinder and you'll get a hunnard different answers.LOL On stuff like this I have always had better luck with an adjustable flow valve. With a fixed orifice sometimes it's a hit or miss kind of deal and you will never know until you try one size or another. If it was too small you could always drill it out a little larger. If it ended up to large you could always braze it shut then drill it out one drill size at a time until you get the desired results. Of course you could do the same thing with just a nipple, braze the end shut and drill to size.

My log table would shoot the logs four feet up and over the table at first. I could feather the control and it helped but was a pain to deal with. My cylinder for the lift table is 3" X 10" with a 1/12" rod. I reduced the line size from 1/2" to 1/4" which didn't help much. I tried a couple different restrictor valves that I had on hand but still couldn't get it slowed down to where I wanted then I bought a 0 to 5 gpm adjustable valve and I found that I almost had to shut it almost shut to get the job done. With a 16 gpm pump a lot of oil will still flow through tiniest hole imaginable.

I also found out that sometimes you can get better results to check the flow on the output side of the cylinder and sometimes in some cases you might check the flow on both the in and output side. You don't have to worry about heat buildup on a log lift or wedge lift because they are not used that much to cause a problem with that.

An yeah, I know the cheap route trick that's the story of my life lol......

/ Adding an Adjustable 4 Way Wedge #17  
   / Adding an Adjustable 4 Way Wedge #18  
   / Adding an Adjustable 4 Way Wedge #19  
A cylinder on the back side.
Oh, I couldn't see it in the link. I've seen them done like that before but it looks like to me something would always be in the way. I was wondering how tough pieces of wood would split with the blunt edge that is on your wedge. Though sometimes a really sharp point will cause problems too because if you get a piece of wood that don't want to split by the time you figure out it won't split the wedge is stuck and it's a bear to get it out.

/ Adding an Adjustable 4 Way Wedge
I looked up this post to help out an OP on another post when it occurred to me that I never added a critique of how this worked out after we used it to split wood this past fall.

Combined with the neighbors we split around 15 cords over six or seven days this year which is an average amount for us. If we hustled with four or five of us working along with the L4060 we could do two or more cords a day including bucking up the logs and stacking the split wood into IBC cages. In addition to the splitter improvements I also used a full chisel chain on my MS390 saw to buck the logs which also sped the process up.

Overall we were really pleased with the adjustable wedge as it sped the splitting process up considerably. We did adjust the wedge much more than I anticipated; changing the height for almost every log, but the time spent doing the adjusting was more than made up for by the increased productivity of splitting logs into four pieces instead of two. A 16 inch diameter log would be split with three strokes instead of six with a single wedge for example. I like the split wood to be small so that is one reason for the number of adjustments.

I did not notice an increase in the number of logs the splitter could not split because of the four way wedge and if it balked we would simply lower the wedge and try to split it into two pieces instead. There were still some stump pieces, mostly over 24 inches in diameter, it could not get through without the logs being cut in half vertically. I did notice that there were far fewer logs that flew off of the wedge than before since the four way held them down and seemed to allow the internal stress in the log to be relieved.

The wedge wore the slot I made in the beam a bit which in turn caused the wedge to start leaning to the side and forward a bit. I welded a small strap to the wedge around the upright support behind the wedge which solved that problem.

As I anticipated the wedge adjustment is a bit finicky since it is too fast. Once you get used to it you can slow it down by careful manipulation of the valve, but I think I'll do something this summer to fix the issue by either adding a bigger cylinder or a more restrictive flow restrictor, or both.

Was it worth the time and money? Absolutely! If you are splitting more than a couple of cords a year I highly recommend either buying this as an option on a new splitter or adding it to the splitter you have.