adding crossmember's

/ adding crossmember's #1  

redharley

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2230
I have a 16ft landscape trailer which I would like to add a couple more crossmembers for strength. I often use my BX tractor and loader to unload trailer load of stone,coal,Ect. I have notice that I have started to bend 2 rear members which are 4 ft apart figure on adding one between each. I am fairly handy with a welder what would you suggest usiing for the crossmembers? the original's are not very heavy for sure. thanks for your thoughts

/ adding crossmember's #2  
I would think channel iron of the appropriate size would make good crossmembers. Seems like that's what I see on most of the heavy-duty trailers.

/ adding crossmember's #3  
All the trailers I have ordered use angle iron. Usually 2x2x3/16" on the cross members 24" or 16" on centers. 48" like yours is not enough. I would use what they have already used just get the spacing 16" or 24" on center.

Chris

/ adding crossmember's #4  
Agree with Chris on this..Just add on to what's there. You don't have to get carried away.

/ adding crossmember's #5  
Whats the design of your trailer, main frame,cross members, axle ratings? 4' apart for crossmembers is not enough, IMO

/ adding crossmember's #6  
Whats the design of your trailer, main frame,cross members, axle ratings? 4' apart for crossmembers is not enough, IMO

I agree. We need pics if you can.The trailer should be built strong enough to make the axles the limiting factor. If you have to add to the trailer for strength, it only lowers what you can legally carry based on the GVWR

/ adding crossmember's
my trailer has a 7'000 GVW,2 axles with brakes on both, light weight now is about 1700 with extra 3/4" ply on floor. Floor was original 5/4 presure treated. I used this trailer for hauling lawn tractor's for several years and it was fine for that,but as years went on I found more heavier use's even thought I don't exceed the gross weight. I am sure it wasn't designed for me unloading with my BX and loader but it is sure a back saver. Trailer has good solid 6" side rails but again they are of lighter weight not 3/16th,but I believe with added crossmember's it would serve me for some years to come. I think I will add 2x2x3/16th angle in between each one now, then while floor is of us 2" treated floor,which should only add slightly to gross weight. as long as I can haul 2-2 1/4 ton I'll be happy.

/ adding crossmember's #8  
I just recently replaced part of a crossmember (while I was replacing all the deck boards) on my Diamond "C" Road Clipper trailer, it uses 2x3x 3/16" thick angle . It was bent in the very middle where it was drug up on a stump, so I cut out about 2 ft in the middle of the member and welded the new piece (which was 3ft long) under the ends of of the two "stubs". I then welded a 3/16" piece of flatstock on top to fill in that uneven part between the ends of the two "stubs," so the boards would lay down flat. That may not have been the strongest/best way to repair but it's the very first crossmember at the front of the trailer, and because it was right in the middle the wheels sit to either side of it. So, I'm not too concerned with the weight bearing issue and I think it will work just fine for me.

/ adding crossmember's #9  
my trailer has a 7'000 GVW,2 axles with brakes on both, light weight now is about 1700 with extra 3/4" ply on floor. Floor was original 5/4 presure treated. I used this trailer for hauling lawn tractor's for several years and it was fine for that,but as years went on I found more heavier use's even thought I don't exceed the gross weight. I am sure it wasn't designed for me unloading with my BX and loader but it is sure a back saver. Trailer has good solid 6" side rails but again they are of lighter weight not 3/16th,but I believe with added crossmember's it would serve me for some years to come. I think I will add 2x2x3/16th angle in between each one now, then while floor is of us 2" treated floor,which should only add slightly to gross weight. as long as I can haul 2-2 1/4 ton I'll be happy.

I would look at using 2" channel Iron, its will be abit heavier than the angle you said above, but will be much stonger and give better support. Plus you can lay the channel inside your current angle iron crossmembers to beef them up too.

/ adding crossmember's #10  
Adding more, like Chris suggested is a good way to go. You can also set a new angle iron piece against the back of the existing to make a TEE crossmember and add the required extra ones at 16" on center. Make all of them into TEEs.

I recently stiffened one up, not by adding more, but by laying 2" pipe pieces in the angle and welding them in. Just be sure you have spacing of about 16 inches, or at most, 24".

I find it easiest to flip the trailer over and work on it upside down.

This is also a good time to fix up the factory wiring if needed. I welded on a couple pieces of EMT condiut to slip the wires through. Works great.