Adding electric connector port

/ Adding electric connector port #1  

S854

Silver Member
Tractor
‘67 MF 135 Deluxe / ‘22 Kioti CK2610 HST/Bad Boy ZT Elite 54”
I’m deliberating adding an 12v outlet to my tractor… currently (pun intended) having three items I wish to connect I’m thinking of a quick connect like this:

70688E98-5890-434E-81B0-461512FF34B0.jpeg

In the past I connected items via alligator-style clips.. not exactly easy and screwing around with battery clamps isn‘t on my favorite-things-to-do list… also, driving around with my spot sprayer I’m concerned with the battery clip moving and shorting out… not good…

The items I want to connect are:
1-Fill Rite fuel pump
2-Spot sprayer
3-Battery Tender

If I were to place the female connector in a permanent, convenient location on the tractor.. I would then have three male connectors I could attached to the various electric items… each of my intended items has a shut-off switch so the risk of sparking while plugging in would be reduced…

The above outlet/plug is rated for 80 amps (I think I’m safe there ;)), is waterproof (it’s a trolling motor connection) and accepts 6/8/10 AWG wire… I’ll probably be safe with 10 AWG and a 20 amp fuse…

Anyone done something similar? Anything I’m overlooking? Am I complicating the heck out of this (hey, it’s fun adding farkles to my new toy…)

/ Adding electric connector port #2  
You're into serious overkill. The receptacle may be rated for eighty amps but there's no way your tractor can supply it. I don't know the current draw on your accessories so it's hard to determine a fuse size. I will say ten AWG is a bit large for a twenty amp fuse. Twelve AWG would be more appropriate and fourteen would give satisfactory results if the twenty amp fuse is sufficient to power your equipment.

/ Adding electric connector port #3  
So I did something similar... I used Anderson Power Pole connectors, (still overkill for what I'm running but I got them cheap) installed one on the rear & one in front. We were tired of connecting different equipment to the rear without a good (& consistent) way. Added the Anderson connector to the tractor which are fused & switched (with relay) separately from the rest of the tractor.

Now every piece of equipment has a Power Pole connector on it... I make the harness for the equip it will work with... Anderson Power Pole connectors are quite a bit less expensive than the connector you are looking at & you don't have to worry about ordering the male or female connectors separately (if you even can)... After the Power Pole connectors are wired they only connects one way so no issue connecting it incorrectly... this also makes it easier to have some spare connectors on hand being they are not gender specific.

This is the Power Pole Connector in the housing I used... (I made the bracket)

2018-11-04 17.34.34.jpg 2018-11-04 17.34.55.jpg

The stand alone switch on the dash controls the Aux Circuit...

2018-11-10 17.53.32.jpg

/ Adding electric connector port
You're into serious overkill. The receptacle may be rated for eighty amps but there's no way your tractor can supply it. I don't know the current draw on your accessories so it's hard to determine a fuse size. I will say ten AWG is a bit large for a twenty amp fuse. Twelve AWG would be more appropriate and fourteen would give satisfactory results if the twenty amp fuse is sufficient to power your equipment.
This is the kind of information I'm looking for... obviously, I"m not an electrical

Which got me to looking at the specs of my most power-hungry connection... the one going to my Fill Rite SD1202H pump...

My pump is probably 18-20 years old (still works great!) I'm hoping the current manual is applicable...

Untitled.png

As Roadworthy alluded: 12 AWG is the wiring supplied by Fill Rite... which is what I'll go with...

As far as the 50 amp receptacle... I'll probably stick with it strictly from a size-vs-capacity standpoint... I'll need to up grade my originally planned 20 amp fuse to 30 amps--which would fry a 15 amp Powerlet receptacle...

The planning continues (and improves)

BTW Roadworthy... is that your Bonnie on your avatar?

/ Adding electric connector port
The stand alone switch on the dash controls the Aux Circuit...

View attachment 768874
Something else I haven't considered... a dash mounted switch...

Those Powerpole connections look nice... where did you find the one with a spring-loaded cover?

I found them on the internet but there's many different ratings.. are yours 50 amp?

/ Adding electric connector port #6  
   / Adding electric connector port #7  

Those Powerpole connections look nice... where did you find the one with a spring-loaded cover?

I found them on the internet but there's many different ratings.. are yours 50 amp?

So, I wanted a dash switch for a few of reasons:
1.) I like the ideal of a physical disconnect incase something goes wrong, I can shut it off without getting off the tractor. I could have just connected the relay to the tractor ignition but then I would need to turn off the tractor to control it
2.) There are some pieces of equip that I wanted to be able to turn on & off from the operators seat... i.e. like one of our small sprayers had a boom on it that we use of vegetation & pest control. I can set it up in our 3pt carry-all & leave the pump on, drive to the application site & then use the dash switch to turn the pump on & off depending on what we are applying & where.
3.) I can leave equip attached & plugged in when I'm done & with the switch off I don't have to worry about something draining or drawing from the battery while it is parked. Example: This time of year we leave the debris blower (for leaves) attached to the tractor but I can shut off the circuit to the blower that controls the rotation & deflection motors when we park the tractor.

Note on the Switch: This circuit is fused separately & the switch just controls a relay... the circuit does not pass through the switch

The surface mount spring loaded covers are from Trailer Vision they are great quality, but I just looked & they are pricier then when I purchased them. However being I would only need 1 or 2 for the tractor side, I would not hesitate to buy them again... I really like them. There are a bunch of other options out there but I had used the Trailer Vision one on other project, so I knew there quality already.

Yes I'm using the Anderson 50 amp Power Pole Connectors - they run about $6 - $8 per pair with 2 connectors & 4 terminals depending where you purchase them... Just remember only like color connectors work together (red to red / grey - grey but red to gray will not work)... the only exception is the black connector will work with the grey.

/ Adding electric connector port #8  
I use this type on everything I own that's 12V, tenders, lights, tractor, mototbike, generator etc, that way I know everything's compatible. Just make sure that when you install it, the female covered receptacle is on the battery side so it can't short to ground, fuse wouldn't hurt neither. Reason I went with this type in the first place is that it seems like it's a standard type for tenders. I've got three different brands and the pinout is the same on all.
The Anderson type I use on my winch because of the draw, they are a nice plug.

1667422875052.png

/ Adding electric connector port #9  

Maybe here....

OR....

/ Adding electric connector port #10  
I use this type on everything I own that's 12V, tenders, lights, tractor, mototbike, generator etc, that way I know everything's compatible. Just make sure that when you install it, the female covered receptacle is on the battery side so it can't short to ground, fuse wouldn't hurt neither. Reason I went with this type in the first place is that it seems like it's a standard type for tenders. I've got three different brands and the pinout is the same on all.
The Anderson type I use on my winch because of the draw, they are a nice plug.

View attachment 768879
This is what I have on my old Yanmar. Just ran the wire out the back. Worked great for sprayer, spreader, etc