Adding fuel from 5 gal container

/ Adding fuel from 5 gal container #2  
Thanks. Nice - I am getting older and it is getting harder to lift and hold and pour. I looked for those "nozzles" but only saw them on the No Fill containers that were for sale. I will try to find just the nozzles - I assume they fit the standard yellow five gallon diesel containers. Post if you know where I can find them.

UPDATE:
Now found just the nozzles - but info there says they only fit the No-Fill cans as they have an odd cap of some kind that does not fit standard yellow diesel containers. . . .so out of luck as I already have 4 of those containers. And after reading the reviews on Amazon it seems there are serious issues. Just sayin.

Amazon.com: No-Spill 6131 Gas Can Nozzle Assembly: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Last edited:
   / Adding fuel from 5 gal container #3  
I'm 74 - so I'm looking & listening also. One of these days a jerry can full is going to be too much for me also. My jerry cans are the old military metal ones - and they are weighty to start with.

/ Adding fuel from 5 gal container #4  
I'm 74 - so I'm looking & listening also. One of these days a jerry can full is going to be too much for me also. My jerry cans are the old military metal ones - and they are weighty to start with.

We're about the same age. I gave in this past year and started buying the new types in the 2 gallon size; up to 4 of the little suckers now. I still have 5 gallon cans which I use on my larger ZTs that have a 5+ gallon tank and the tank is on the side where you can easily get to it and has a large diameter fill port. Still using the steel Jerry can for this.

I hear a lot of bitching about the new cans but I like them, especially in situations where you can't see, pouring small quantities, like 5 hp or less engines. On my JD L110 42" mower converted to my "Gator", the fill is right behind the seat (have to flip it up) and you can't get a 5 gallon can on it without puking gas all over everything. The little 2 gal with the new spout, is not only light, it holds about the amount of fuel the tank does, rests on the side of the fill lip so you don't have to hold it up, and shuts off when fuel gets up to it, preventing overruns...if you are ready to pull the can when it comes up.

When I go to the filling station, I have all them at the rear of the truck and fill them while filling the Jerrys. A walk in the park. WM has the 2 gal. in the garden section with the black tube and green top for $10 something. I like these better than the type with the red and white tube and red cap.

/ Adding fuel from 5 gal container #5  
The way I'm looking to go is a big tank for diesel, just so much easier filling the tractor. For gas I just use the 5 gallon can and don't fill it all the way. About 3 gallons and it's not to heavy with the no spill spout.

/ Adding fuel from 5 gal container #6  
Posted the video in the Mahindra section but this applies to any tractor with the fuel fill in the hood.

Mahindra 1538 add fuel to tractor - YouTube

No Spill, Inc. Diesel Can, 5 gal., CARB Compliant - For Life Out Here

I always put a soft towel on the hood of the tractor before I flop the 5 gal can up there on its side. My theory is that the soft towel will help prevent any grit on the can or the hood from interacting and making scratches in the hood. It seems to be working. First I flip the towel over the hood to blow off any dust on the hood. Then gently spread the towel and put the can up there on the hood.

/ Adding fuel from 5 gal container #7  
IMG_1310.JPG I got the longer spout with it.

/ Adding fuel from 5 gal container #8  
I like pouring it into a 2.5 gallon container first. The main reason for this beyond the easier lift, is I can stick a funnel that has a fine mesh filter in it and pour from the 6 gallon container. This way I can eliminate impurities right off the bat. I also stick this same funnel in the tractor and pour the about 2 gallons a little more neatly as well as double filtration. As these 2.5 gallon bottles are translucent, I mark off pre measured oil level lines for all my vehicle oil capacities as some are weird amounts such as 4.1 or 4.2 gallons. I even use this funnel/bottle mark technique with smaller quart bottles for filtering chainsaw fuel and knowing exact, pre measured capacity of chainsaw fuel tanks, never worry about over fills and subsequent spillage.

/ Adding fuel from 5 gal container #9  
No high lifting of heavy fuel cans for me these days. I fuel my tractor using a 12VDC pump/hose assembly located on the ground.

Also, all of my 2 cycle equipment and UTV are fueled from cans and all go through a filter first such as this one for the tractor: Amazon.com: Mr. Funnel AF15CB Fuel Filter: Automotive.

Even though I filter all stored fuel, during the tractor's 400 hour service fuel filter change last week, I still found more trash in the fuel filter bowl than I was expecting. This is the second fuel filter change with the first one having a bunch of stuff most likely from tractor assembly.

/ Adding fuel from 5 gal container #10  
I purchased a 12V pump and nozzle off eBay last year for around $70. It works great. I have a 50 gallon transfer tank inherited from my father. I used both and it beats lifting 5 gallon cans to pieces.