Adding solar to dump trailer?

/ Adding solar to dump trailer? #11  
My LoadTrail dump has an onboard charger that works flawlessly. It often sits for weeks or months. A few hours towing with the pickup will bring the battery up. Or plug in the charger overnight. The 5 amp charger with built in tester is about 60 dollars on their website.

/ Adding solar to dump trailer? #12  
Thats why I junked the electric crap and put a good gas engine on mine with a BIG hydraulic pump and valve! No more screwing around when I go dump a load, and anybody can pull my trailer and dump it with no problems! lol!

/ Adding solar to dump trailer? #13  
You guys got me thinking. (bad sign:) Maybe I could put a solar panel on the building that doesn't have power to keep my 6x6 charged up. Its used to plow with over the winter so its battery is highly stressed and should be recharged after each use.. Hummmmmmm

/ Adding solar to dump trailer? #14  
2 AWG to rear of truck for power. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Here’s what I did. I have a 7 watt solar panels also. This setup works great. I did buy a new battery, today. From mid May 2018 to late September 2020 is pretty good on a commercial use unit. My business is feast or famine. It has sat for months at a time, over those couple of years, but this summer, it’s been busy doing demolition work.

/ Adding solar to dump trailer? #15  
2 AWG to rear of truck for power. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Here’s what I did. I have a 7 watt solar panels also. This setup works great. I did buy a new battery, today. From mid May 2018 to late September 2020 is pretty good on a commercial use unit. My business is feast or famine. It has sat for months at a time, over those couple of years, but this summer, it’s been busy doing demolition work.

I like the look of those circuit breakers. Keep and eye on those Anderson connectors. I used a 50 amp version on my tractor and the plastic just fell apart after a year and a half. Tractor has ALWAYS been stored out of the sun too.

One thing about solar charge controllers is they almost always want it connected to a charged battery BEFORE connecting the panel. I just mounted 30W and 100W panels I had on top of my barn to keep some batteries charged and power some lights. I used a project box and put some toggle switches rated for 12V, 20 Amp in line. That way when I get ready to disconnect a battery I can turn off the panel connection first and reconnect the battery before turning the panel switch back on.

/ Adding solar to dump trailer? #16  
Thats why I junked the electric crap and put a good gas engine on mine with a BIG hydraulic pump and valve! No more screwing around when I go dump a load, and anybody can pull my trailer and dump it with no problems! lol!

This is the answer. I spent a few bucks, but I have a reliable system. Everything came from Surplus Center.

Attachments

• Dump Gas Conversion.png
    Dump Gas Conversion.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 172
   / Adding solar to dump trailer? #17  
I put a 10 watt panel on the equipment box lid of our 7k dump trailer using a 3 amp controller for the battery connection. It's been about 3 years now, no problems & battery has always done the job. The panel & truck have been the only charge sources since the panel was installed.
dump-t-sp-1.jpg

/ Adding solar to dump trailer? #18  
I went to "The Large River" online store and bought a bunch of goodies for mine. Solar charger and controller, plugs, 110v receptacle, trickle charger, and even lights! How often do you hook up trailer in dark and need to put a cell phone on the top of the tailgate shining down to make sure everything is connected? Sometimes I pick up my trailer after the day job and this has been very handy. Mine runs a winch but the overall concept is the same. I also added a LED voltmeter gauge on the outside that displays the current battery level without having to open the lid. That way if I am outside and don't happen to have the key for the box, I can look and see if the trailer is ready to go. I can PM you links of the shopping list, I don't want to post here, I think that's frowned upon.

Attachments

• Image_1.1.jpg
    Image_1.1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 156
  • Image_2.1.jpg
    Image_2.1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 159