Adding winch to trailer

/ Adding winch to trailer #1  

dwalk19

Gold Member
Tractor
2018 LS XG3140H TLB
Hey guys I'm thinking of afding a 8k-12k winch to my 20' trailer, just looking for advice,

1) i'd like to find a winch with wireless remote that won't break the bank

2) would bolting it through the deck boards be sufficient, probavly easiest I do have the 6" vertical L channel frame in the front edge of deck

3) what's best way to power it, add it's own battery probably and best way to keep it charged

Last edited:
   / Adding winch to trailer #2  
If U have the large round trailer connector there usually is a live pin just for the purpose of charging batteries or provide 12VDC to the trailer.
As to fastening the winch due to the pulling power U better be well bolted/fastened to solid steel.

/ Adding winch to trailer #3  
Hey guys I'm thinking of afding a 8k-12k winch to my 20' trailer, just looking for advice,

1) i'd like to find a winch with wireless remote that won't break the bank

2) would bolting it through the deck boards be sufficient, probavly easiest I do have the 6" vertical L channel frame in the front edge of deck

3) what's best way to power it, add it's own battery probably and best way to keep it charged

I added a 9500 lb. Superwinch ($300) to my 20' equipment trailer, and I also carry a 20K capacity snatch block.
I welded a winch mount to the trailer frame at the front edge of the deck.
I have a cable attached remote.
Made up some 22' -2GA. removable extension cables with squeeze clamps, to quickly attach to my battery under the hood.
I do not like the idea of a separate winch battery as there is no easy way to keep it charged, unless the trailer is stored where 120v power is available.

/ Adding winch to trailer #4  
Harbor freight has a great 12k winch on sale for 279-299. Ill say welding on a 2” receiver then using a winch cradle that will fit in the receiver would be a good way to go about this. Also, bh raising the winch line it won’t get near the wear or damage as it would dragging over the edge of the trailer. Bolt on a battery box with a solar charger and you’re set

Brett

/ Adding winch to trailer #5  
i've done the winch cradle thing. can move it to anything with a 2" receiver, front/rear of vehicles, both trailer, etc. i have a spare battery that i attach when using the winch and then put back in whatever i took it out of after i'm done.

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

/ Adding winch to trailer #6  
I welded a 2" receiver to my car hauler trailer because I have friend the borrows it from time-to-time to retrieve collectible cars in non-running condition. He just pops his winch on and takes a good, charged battery and that's usually good enough for several pulls if needed.

As for putting a battery on the trailer or not, you can charge it from the trailer plug, but you cannot run it from the trailer plug. It pulls too many amps and will melt the wires, blow fuses, etc... put a battery isolator at the battery on the trailer so that the tow-vehicle will charge the trailer battery, but the winch load will not pull from the tow vehicle battery. It should only pull power from the battery mounted on the trailer.

That, or put in heavy gauge cables from the tow vehicle battery to the rear of the vehicle, and use power plugs to run cables to the winch on the trailer.

/ Adding winch to trailer #7  
I welded a 2" receiver to my car hauler trailer because I have friend the borrows it from time-to-time to retrieve collectible cars in non-running condition. He just pops his winch on and takes a good, charged battery and that's usually good enough for several pulls if needed.

As for putting a battery on the trailer or not, you can charge it from the trailer plug, but you cannot run it from the trailer plug. It pulls too many amps and will melt the wires, blow fuses, etc... put a battery isolator at the battery on the trailer so that the tow-vehicle will charge the trailer battery, but the winch load will not pull from the tow vehicle battery. It should only pull power from the battery mounted on the trailer.

That, or put in heavy gauge cables from the tow vehicle battery to the rear of the vehicle, and use power plugs to run cables to the winch on the trailer.

"That, or put in heavy gauge cables from the tow vehicle battery to the rear of the vehicle, and use power plugs to run cables to the winch on the trailer"
AND THEN......What to do when using a different trailer tow vehicle?

/ Adding winch to trailer #8  
A small generator and a batt charger in the back of the pu will keep charging the winch batt. as you are using it.

That's my preferred method...

SR

/ Adding winch to trailer #9  
As others have said, attach a receiver to the front of the trailer, buy or build a winch carrier and use a separate battery. I just use my camper battery so it gets multiple uses.

When I setup my winch I bought a used 9,000# Warn winch, built my own carrier that allowed me to pin a aluminum box that I made on top. Then I ran a wire off the trailer plug for charging the winch battery. I am careful to unplug the charging wire before using the winch though. It makes a versatile unit that can be switched from trailer to vehicle easily. I just bought a new trailer Saturday that I need to setup to accept the winch.

/ Adding winch to trailer #10  
This is also on my to do list. I need to get it done and retrieve a couple trucks this summer.