Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #1  

tjm1982

Tractor
Long 2360
Hello all. I'm in the market for a 25 hp compact. I have done extensive comparisons and have settled on Kioti or Branson. I chose these 2 for the amount of tractor I would get for my $. Each tractor is the heaviest in its class and has the best lifting capacities. I have heard the "buy the dealer, not the tractor" phrase already and am comfortable with both dealerships, which are within an hour of me and both service in house. I want to go Hydro for this purchase. This tractor will be used for FEL work (small tree clearing), minor driveway grading and brush hogging. I was quoted the below prices:

Kioti:
CK2610 Hydro
$18,300 tractor + FEL
Fluid and delivery included

Branson:
2515h
$19,900 tractor + FEL
nothing else included

I have been on the Branson and it's ok, nothing special. I have yet to sit on a Kioti. Neither dealer has these tractors in stock, so I would likely have to wait either way. My question for those which have experience with either of these models......which would you spend your money on?

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #2  
tjm, Before purchasing my first tractor, a friend advised I get power steering to ease the work with the front end loader, a 30 hp, as a lot of PTO driven implements require a bit more horse power than a 25 hp tractor has at the PTO, and to get a hydrostatic transmission since I was not buying for agricultural work.
I've found the advise good.
After that first tractor, with FEL and back hoe, I bought a different property, this with agricultural work to be done. I bought a used manual transmission tractor, since all I was going to do with that tractor was back-and-forth across the fields for aeration, harrowing, seeding, etc. That transmission was right for ag work, just as the hydro was right for the miscellaneous duties of the first tractor, which I still have.
Hope this helps.

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #3  
I would not choose a 25 HP HST to brush hog with. I’m also curious what you mean by clearing small trees with the FEL.

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #4  
I want to go Hydro for this purchase.

Choose a Kioti or Branson model with a 3-range HST, in preference to a 2-range HST.

25-hp limits you to the use of a light duty (grass only) 60" rotary cutter / Bush Hog.

This tractor will be used for FEL work (small tree clearing), minor driveway grading.

I recommend a Ratchet Rake as your first attachment. The largest tree you will be able to push over with the FEL is 2-1/2" diameter in moist-wet soil. It is only possible to push over a 2-1/2" tree because the Ratchet Rake grips solidly.

Last edited:
   / Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase
I would not choose a 25 HP HST to brush hog with. I’m also curious what you mean by clearing small trees with the FEL.
I'll be using this tractor to clear small trees with. Using the bucket to remove the trees. I will likely be getting a Piranha bar or something like that to help with this task.

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #6  
I don't think there is, currently, any better deal for a 25 hp tractor other than the Branson 2515. And looking on how those are selling faster than the dealers can get them, it must mean something. It will lift more on the loader and on the 3 pt and it's also an heavier tractor.

That being said, the Kioti is also a great tractor. I think I would sit on both, maybe ask the dealers if you could run them for a bit to get a feeling for it and then make your choice. Also see which dealer you like the best and take care of you the best.

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #7  
Hello all. I'm in the market for a 25 hp compact. I have done extensive comparisons and have settled on Kioti or Branson. I chose these 2 for the amount of tractor I would get for my $. Each tractor is the heaviest in its class and has the best lifting capacities. I have heard the "buy the dealer, not the tractor" phrase already and am comfortable with both dealerships, which are within an hour of me and both service in house. I want to go Hydro for this purchase. This tractor will be used for FEL work (small tree clearing), minor driveway grading and brush hogging. I was quoted the below prices:

Kioti:
CK2610 Hydro
$18,300 tractor + FEL
Fluid and delivery included

Branson:
2515h
$19,900 tractor + FEL
nothing else included

I have been on the Branson and it's ok, nothing special. I have yet to sit on a Kioti. Neither dealer has these tractors in stock, so I would likely have to wait either way. My question for those which have experience with either of these models......which would you spend your money on?
I have now had 1.2 years on Ls MT225S with loader. Tractor and loader was 16.3K. I chose to add mmm for 3k which has proven to be wise but. Just turn 151 hours on tractor its used for driveway construction and landscaping. Moved roughly 72 tons of dirt around my sons house. Tractor is light enough to get close to foundation. I have pushed this tractor no abuse. It has been a work horse no disappointments. The 25 horse motor is yanmar. The tractor is weighted well to its FEL. 3 speed transmission, rear and mid mount PTO, tilt wheel cruise control smooth power steering. No tier 4 emissions. It’s good starter tractor for first time owner. I also have 35 hp Ls it’s more sizable tractor I use for haying. Pick your tractor for your work, you may grow out of it. However many people are searching for compact tractors you can always trade up.

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #8  
I find my bobcat (kioti in white) really nice. Large easy on/off operator platform. It is a hydro and I use it for brush hog with no problems, except.......... i wish i could stand up on it to see what's coming up in front in the grass.

So, i ordered the cruise control kit for it. If one of your choices has that option, pick it.

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #9  
I'm wondering why you are looking at 25 hp? Is it due to the amount of work you will be doing, or is this related to avoiding emissions systems on your tractor?

Just curious. I would never advise buying a small (25 hp) tractor just to avoid emissions issues.

/ Advice on 25 hp tractor purchase #10  
I know you have your reason for the 25 hp and I have a Kubota with 27 and I am so glad it has every one of those horses. Borrowed my friends Kubota BX with 23 hp if memory is correct with their rear tiller. Oh boy did it need more hp. Tiller was supposed to have been matched to that tractor by the dealer. Know they were bought together.

No idea on Branson as not aware have ever seen one but who makes them? Any issue on parts? As to buying the dealership, I recommend know who the next dealership is in case something happens to the one near you. I passed on a Yanmar for that very reason. Really like the dealership about thirty miles away but they had only been a dealer for about a year and no other was within 100 miles.