AGM battery?

/ AGM battery? #1  

gstrom99

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 530R zero turn, Allis Chalmers D17 III, Ford 9N - SOLD, Kubota B1550, Yamaha Timberwolf 250, Husky saws, H & H 10k and Carry-On trailers
I bought a "regular" wet battery about 1 1/2 years ago, for my Yamaha atv. I kept it inside and on on the maintainer, off and on. Went out to get going today, no cranking power. Put the jumper box on it and got it going. Battery is stone dead/bad, and won't take a charge. Being out of the 12 month warranty (of course), I'm getting another.

I ordered an AGM type this time and a new "smart" charger since I've read that the old/regular battery chargers can wreck the AGM batteries. True?

Are AGM batteries really that good?

/ AGM battery? #2  
My opinion is sort of. When I was working as a land surveyor we used batteries to power or GPS base radio. It was very hard on batteries. The big advantage of them is for their size they were lighter and smaller. We ended up going to marine trolling motor batteries, they didn’t last as long and were heavier but cost a lot less. I also wonder if an AGM would hold up a little better in your application where it’s maybe in a rougher riding vehicle.

/ AGM battery?
Since the AGM was only a bit more $, I think it's worth a try.

/ AGM battery? #5  
I got yellow AGM battery about 5 years ago and use it sometimes. But most of the time it's sitting in the garage. The problem is in about 2 weeks % charge goes to about 60%. Charge it on AGM charger and still does it. My other regular battery holds 100% for very long time. Not sure if all AGM like that or it's my luck))

/ AGM battery? #6  
I like my Odyssey AGM batteries, and use them for most of my battery replacements.

I don't know what size your Yamaha uses. Is a regular size battery, or a tiny motorcycle battery?

/ AGM battery? #7  
I also switched over to Odyssey batteries. I had several early demise and (2) catastrophic failures with Optima AGM batteries.

/ AGM battery? #8  
I run one in my Jeep due to a high electrical demand (amps, winch, air compressor, lights, etc) and have had good luck with holding a charge and running all the accessories. The first one I put in died in about 2 months and gave me issues from the day it went it (acted like I had a small constant draw), but it was exchanged under warranty and the replacement has been great. The auto parts place said they almost never get an AMG battery brought in for warranty but if they do it is within the first several months.

/ AGM battery?
I like my Odyssey AGM batteries, and use them for most of my battery replacements.

I don't know what size your Yamaha uses. Is a regular size battery, or a tiny motorcycle battery?
It's one of those small ones - 4x6"? The charger has the AGM mode, but I haven't rec'd it yet...

/ AGM battery? #10  
agm are stock in atv's utv's etc due to vibration from the riding, standard battery's are more prone to failure in high vibration situations.

agms do have different charging requirements, but unless you have a old school wall wart charger, most standby chargers work fine