Oil & Fuel Ahhh, the smell of diesel in the evening

/ Ahhh, the smell of diesel in the evening #1  

turbo36

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD X739 AWS (3), 2016 Toolcat, JD 2038R
Did you ever go out and start your tractor just to hear the diesel clatter and get a whiff of diesel fumes? A simple thing like this can bring a smile to my face.:)

/ Ahhh, the smell of diesel in the evening #2  
turbo36 said:
Did you ever go out and start your tractor just to hear the diesel clatter and get a whiff of diesel fumes? A simple thing like this can bring a smile to my face.:)

I have, on occasion...maybe run it to the end of the drive
Silly, isn't it?

/ Ahhh, the smell of diesel in the evening #3  
RoyJackson said:
I have, on occasion...maybe run it to the end of the drive
Silly, isn't it?

no it is not silly !
I run the off road bio diesel in my tractor , and i love the smell !!
I am addicted to it !!

/ Ahhh, the smell of diesel in the evening #4  
No, but smells can have a powerful effect on memories. I occasionally go out to my dad's shed, where he kept my grandfathers old AC. The smell reminds me of weekends on the farm and going down to the musty old machine shed to bring the tractor up for the day's work.

Thanks for reminder, I need to get over to my dad's pretty soon!

/ Ahhh, the smell of diesel in the evening #5  
Yup done it,also in the morning...heck even slowly bounce down the 250' driveway w/coffee to get the mail.

/ Ahhh, the smell of diesel in the evening #6  
After a long day at work in the office (weekend farmer here) I come home at sunset, make a martini and go out and just turn the engine over and let it run for a couple min..... My wife thinks I'm actually doing some work on it :)

/ Ahhh, the smell of diesel in the evening #7  
TexasSD "Thanks for reminder, I need to get over to my dad's pretty soon!"

YES, do that! He's not going to be there forever..

pnowacki "I come home at sunset, make a martini and go out and just turn the engine over and let it run for a couple min"

No, man!! No martinis with a tractor...just get a ½ pint of Jim Beam and take a few swigs off that (don't forget the ball cap! And the whiskey tastes better if it's a greasy green ball cap)

/ Ahhh, the smell of diesel in the evening #8  
See...I told ya I was a newbie...I'll have to get myself a bottle of Jim Beam. I got the greasy ball cap.

Man the stuff I am learning on here :)

/ Ahhh, the smell of diesel in the evening #9  
I especially like the sound of my tractor starting up (even with earplugs). I used to have a website on my old crashed hard drive that had the sounds of the various models of NH tractors starting up and idling that I would play on occasion which further convinced my wife of the seriousness of my advanced case of tractoritis (If anyone out there knows the link let me know :)). I still do the martini thing after tractoring, and if I get sloppy :eek:, it will remove the grease that is still on my hands :D. Martini's and/or good whiskey are effective treatment for the symptoms of tractoritis :cool:. Jay

/ Ahhh, the smell of diesel in the evening #10  
Man, I can't wait to get my 2520. 5 days and counting....

Everyone thinks I'm insane because I like the smell of diesel and jet exhaust. Probably bad for you, but ya gotta have some vices.

Yup, I keep a bottle of Wild Turkey on top of the beer fridge in the shop too. Still working on the greasy cap...