Air Filter microns to high

/ Air Filter microns to high #1  

Dan Lamb

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 2400h TLB/ cab
Hey guys good evening ,
Was asking my dealer what the micron count was for my 2400h , he said 4-5. My filter is only a single stage filter, was talking to a friend of mine and he says that痴 not good he uses 1-2 after market air filter on his Kabota single stage filter , but if I use anything other than Branson filters dealer says I will void warranty, I use my tractor in a very dusty environment, what would you do ,thanks guys for your inputs, Dan

/ Air Filter microns to high #2  
I would check the K&N web site. I've changed out the engine & cabin OEM air filters on the Taco Wagon for K&N filters. The literature put out by K&N says use of their filters WILL NOT void your vehicle warrantee. My local Ram dealer agrees with this.

K&N makes replacement filters for just about everything. They will last longer than OEM( especially between cleanings) and, yes, they are cleanable/reusable.

I've used K&N air filters on all my vehicles for well over thirty years. Never had a moments problems.

/ Air Filter microns to high #3  
Your Branson dealer is a crook. If OEM filters are required he is required to supply them at no cost to you. Search the Mann Act.

On the other hand, what makes your friend the final authority on air filters?

/ Air Filter microns to high #4  
Branson uses Donaldson air filters. Not sure why would you want to change that though.

You can get Donaldson filters pretty much anywhere.

Also, for the hydraulic filter, you really don't want to use anything other than the Branson one. Som aftermarket hydraulic filters are known to burn hydraulic pumps due to some check valve inside not letting the pump to pull oil.

/ Air Filter microns to high #5  
OP,

Before you change anything, have you checked the one you have? Take it out and look at it. Look at it from the inside. Is there any dirt getting past your filter, and into your air inlet pipe? If not, put it all back together stock, and just smile and wave at your "friend" and move along. Nothing to see here. If there is, then look at getting a dual element filter with a tighter filtration rating.

I'm surprised your filter is a single element? My factory filter is a dual element, and nothing has gotten past it, and I get a ton of dust when I mow fields.

/ Air Filter microns to high #6  
K&N's advantage is that they still flow air even when badly clogged. Unfortunately they also let more dirt through than other types of filter. There's independent studies showing it. I've used them on street-only vehicles but I would not use one off road... unless I was racing and would rather rebuild the motor after the race than have to stop to change a filter.

/ Air Filter microns to high #7  
K&N's advantage is that they still flow air even when badly clogged. Unfortunately they also let more dirt through than other types of filter. There's independent studies showing it. I've used them on street-only vehicles but I would not use one off road... unless I was racing and would rather rebuild the motor after the race than have to stop to change a filter.

Here is one of those independent tests that evaluate several filters under many tests....very interesting. Do you want a filter to trap dust, or do you want a colorful sticker?

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

/ Air Filter microns to high #8  
I should point out that industrial filters like the Donandsons on our Bransons should filter better than any automotive filter. They're made for dusty conditions.
I don't know about Dan's 2400 filter but my 3725 filter has a cyclonic separator as a first filter, then two layers of filter material. The separator dumps the dirt out of a rubber flapper valve.

My old Kubota had a cyclonic filter which trapped dirt in a pocket in the housing cover. You had to remove the cover to dump it out periodically. It caught a surprising amount of dirt.

/ Air Filter microns to high #9  
Hey guys good evening ,
Was asking my dealer what the micron count was for my 2400h , he said 4-5. My filter is only a single stage filter, was talking to a friend of mine and he says thatç—´ not good he uses 1-2 after market air filter on his Kabota single stage filter , but if I use anything other than Branson filters dealer says I will void warranty, I use my tractor in a very dusty environment, what would you do ,thanks guys for your inputs, Dan

Have you run an oil analysis?
I would recommend Black Stone labs. Submit a sample and let them tell you how well the filtration is working.

Silicon levels of xxx ppm is then reported for your engine and they can tell you if you are well within average numbers for your application.
Anything else other then these facts is just mere speculation and conjecture, and anecdotes. None of them will serve to get you a firm answer.

/ Air Filter microns to high #10  
Ok Whatever the dealer told you about using only OEM filter or risk voiding your warranty is a new one to me, and all i do all day is Branson Tractors Service, Warranty And repair, id check your warranty information you got when you purchased your equipment but as far as i am aware ( I have many, many, many, tractors come in with Aftermarket filters and i've never had branson tell me they were going to void a customers warranty over it, and many a times its been here in our shop with a Branson Rep looking things over with us and again never had a warranty voided)