Air Filter microns to high

/ Air Filter microns to high
Thanks for all the good info , I appreciate the advise , Dan

/ Air Filter microns to high #12  
K&N filters are a no no on turbo based engines. They let to much dust through, they end up sand blasting the compressor blades.

Your OEM paper filter is the proper filter.

/ Air Filter microns to high #13  
Ok Whatever the dealer told you about using only OEM filter or risk voiding your warranty is a new one to me, and all i do all day is Branson Tractors Service, Warranty And repair, id check your warranty information you got when you purchased your equipment but as far as i am aware ( I have many, many, many, tractors come in with Aftermarket filters and i've never had branson tell me they were going to void a customers warranty over it, and many a times its been here in our shop with a Branson Rep looking things over with us and again never had a warranty voided)
Slightly off topic but related: Big Tex mean anything to you? If so, is there a full service shop there now? Tx. Mark

/ Air Filter microns to high #14  
K&N's advantage is that they still flow air even when badly clogged. Unfortunately they also let more dirt through than other types of filter. There's independent studies showing it. I've used them on street-only vehicles but I would not use one off road... unless I was racing and would rather rebuild the motor after the race than have to stop to change a filter.

Ahhh...you getting at: "What makes a good filter?"

:2cents:
(IMHO) The nature of a filter is Catch-22. (Or "Catch-44" if microns are really small - Ha! A filter joke. :rolleyes:)

If you want air or liquid to flow through it, it can't provide too much resistance (i.e. can't have too "fine" filtering, small holes, subject to clogging).
If you want it to filter smaller particles, it's going to clog easier and introduce greater flow resistance.

The only way to counter this, is by increasing the effective surface area of the finer filter (through either a bigger filter, or folding more filter material into the same space).

/ Air Filter microns to high #15  
Ahhh...you getting at: "What makes a good filter?"

:2cents:
(IMHO) The nature of a filter is Catch-22. (Or "Catch-44" if microns are really small - Ha! A filter joke. :rolleyes:)

If you want air or liquid to flow through it, it can't provide too much resistance (i.e. can't have too "fine" filtering, small holes, subject to clogging).
If you want it to filter smaller particles, it's going to clog easier and introduce greater flow resistance.

The only way to counter this, is by increasing the effective surface area of the finer filter (through either a bigger filter, or folding more filter material into the same space).
Good points, Cody. One other thing to take into consideration; wet filters (any filter that uses oil) can "catch" flying dust particles even if they are of a smaller micron size than the opening on the filter. The old oil bath and wire mesh filters used long ago actually worked far better than most people would them them credit for these days. That doesn't mean they were better than modern filters, it just means they worked pretty darn well if clean and installed correctly.

My opinion is there is more than one way to skin a cat. Any good filter, wet or dry, with reasonable maintenance and upkeep will keep your engine clean enough to last a long time. Any filter can clog. Some clean better under certain extreme conditions, and some may require more maintenance than others. But with very few exceptions, all of them can be adequate. Debating which filter is best and/or how many microns must you filter down to are more of an academic argument than a real world concern.