Akita Pool

/ Akita Pool #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
My wife and I currently have four Akita's. For those that don't know the breed, they are big dogs that love the cold. Since we live in East Texas, the weather is a bit of a challenge for them. They also enjoy going into the water, so we buy a lot of children's pools every year for them. Our first thought was to build a koi pond that they could get in and out of. While there where some things about that idea that we liked, it also had a lot of negatives.

We also want to expand our back porch. At 12 ft wide and 9 ft deep, it's not big enough. We are expanding it to 24 ft wide and 16 ft deep. While we are at it, we've decided to build our a shallow pool for the Akita's. It will be 12 ft wide and stick out into the yard 16 ft. It will have steps along the full 12 foot side along the porch and the deepest part will be 3 ft deep. It will be built out of cinder blocks and then finished off in tile.

I've seen this done a lot overseas and spent the last couple of months researching how others have done this. Surprisingly it's fairly common.

We will be a salt water pool with a sand filter.

Please feel free to offer advice and suggestions. This is a first for me, so I'm sure there are plenty of things that I don't know, and didn't think of.

Last weekend we broke ground. My guess is that I dug about 20 yards out based on the size of the pile of dirt. It's tricky digging because of the house and hot tub gazebo, along with the slop of the yard and our drainage ditch. The digging is done, now to trench for utilities.

19984079_10213827224257485_2976933225917784362_o.jpg

19942987_10213836074398733_4088257924715027255_o.jpg

19990147_10213830652823197_9037090928430212109_n.jpg

19894978_10213830941950425_7086463131210436965_n.jpg

/ Akita Pool #2  
Nice project Eddie I will stay tuned.:thumbsup:

Just this morning my new Siberian Husky was asking about a kiddy pool. May have to buy her one:laughing:

/ Akita Pool #3  
Its a great project - looks like the dogs are already enjoying the hole.

Why salt water - less algae formation and bacterial problems?

/ Akita Pool #4  
Be interesting to watch this -- I have been batting around the idea of a simple in-ground swimming hole in our backyard, just enough to lounge in to cool off. Sounds like this is a good way to build it.

By the way, I got a kick from the picture of the clay soil up close -- you have my sympathy for dealing with that stuff. We have some around here too, that just flakes off when you dig, and boy is it a chore to deal with.

/ Akita Pool #5  
I can't help with the building of the pool but do love our salt water pool we had put in when we built our house a few years ago. The salt is sooo nice versus a chlorine pool. Also, I LOVE Akitas! Beautiful dogs. "Met" one at a very small, dog show/fundraiser in Hilton Head, SC a few years ago and he was fantastic.

Good luck and keep us posted!

/ Akita Pool #6  
Your dogs are gorgeous... I'm sure they will appreciate what you are doing for them. Can't wait to see them in the water.

/ Akita Pool #7  
I don't know why you bothered with the backhoe........four akitas could have dug that out in no time.....lol.......I guess I'm wondering why you have decided on making it a salt water pool.....I would think that fresh water would be better for their coats.....skin......eyes...ears.......and inevitably their digestive system since they are bound to swallow some of the water or lick it off their coat.........might want to run it by your vet...........Jack

/ Akita Pool #8  
Our Great Swiss Mountain dogs seem to be boggy dogies. Give the choice between a nice clean water pond and a swam, they are in the swamp.

They go in Tri-colored and come out one color, if muck is a color. They smell like a septic tank. Then of course they wonder why they can't come in the house and just jump on the sofa.
Time for a trip to the pond.

/ Akita Pool #9  
I don't know why you bothered with the backhoe........four akitas could have dug that out in no time.....lol.......I guess I'm wondering why you have decided on making it a salt water pool.....I would think that fresh water would be better for their coats.....skin......eyes...ears.......and inevitably their digestive system since they are bound to swallow some of the water or lick it off their coat.........might want to run it by your vet...........Jack

A salt water pool has about 1/10 of the salt in the ocean. It's actually quite good for the skin as the water will be quite soft. Low levels of salt along with an electrolytic chlorine generator will keep the pool sanitized with quite low chlorine levels compared to traditional pools. Check out the "trouble free pool" site they have a great pool school section.

Great looking project. Good luck!

/ Akita Pool #10  
Dang Eddie:laughing:, Y'all gonna build them a master bedroom too?:confused3:
hugs, Brandi