Alternative for hydraulic hose?

/ Alternative for hydraulic hose? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I'm adapting a hydraulic shaver post pounder (originally built for a 3-point) to fit on a skidsteer. I'll need to run a return hose that will dump hydraulic fluid directly into the skidsteer hydraulic tank. Given that the return line should not be under a great deal of pressure, I'm wondering what I can use for a line that might be cheaper than using standard hydraulic line material?

/ Alternative for hydraulic hose? #3  
You might could save a buck or two by going with a lower pressure rated hydraulic hose, but I wouldnt substitute a non-rated hydraulic hose. What little money you save might be lost in a ruptured line and loss o fluid, some of which might be directed at the operator.

/ Alternative for hydraulic hose? #4  
Use 1" hydraulic return hose. Shaver specifies this type and size of hose, and supplies it with new drivers.

/ Alternative for hydraulic hose? #5  
I'm adapting a hydraulic shaver post pounder (originally built for a 3-point) to fit on a skidsteer. I'll need to run a return hose that will dump hydraulic fluid directly into the skidsteer hydraulic tank. Given that the return line should not be under a great deal of pressure, I'm wondering what I can use for a line that might be cheaper than using standard hydraulic line material?

What size hose do you need, and what is your max. operating pressure? We can probably get you a good 1-wire or 2-wire hose for less than you think.

/ Alternative for hydraulic hose? #6  
ditto what rick said.

them return hoses are cheaper due to less pressure.. etc..

/ Alternative for hydraulic hose? #7  
1" 1 wire braid is not very expensive, you will spend almost as much for a oil rated standard hose. With hydraulic oil at $8 a gallon it would not take to big of a spill to end up costing you the difference, nevermind the clean up. We use 2 wire braid for all of our case/return lines on the rigs. No failures unless the dozer gets them. CJ

/ Alternative for hydraulic hose? #8  
RickB said:
Use 1" hydraulic return hose. Shaver specifies this type and size of hose, and supplies it with new drivers.

On my Shaver HD10 the return hose is a 1" yellow rubber hose that looks like a garden hose. No wires in the hose & this came with the driver when I bought it new.

/ Alternative for hydraulic hose? #10  
This is what the HD12 operating instructions show for the hoses.

HD10 shows same thing.

G20 is the return hose.

http://www.shavermfg.com/downloads/HD12FinalWebSite.pdf

Page 15.

Looks like regular hydraulic hose.

It is return hose, not high pressure hydraulic hose. With all the discussions about Shaver's REQUIREMENT for a zero-pressure return and proper hookup that we have had here in the last 12 months, it should be pretty obvious what the return hose requirement is. Buying 1" one- or two-wire high pressure hose for this application is a waste of money.