Alternatives to taking a tree down

/ Alternatives to taking a tree down #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
I have a large willow tree on the back property line of my lot. When I say large I mean the trunk is probably close to 3ft in diameter near the base - and the tree is probably about 120 feet high.

Over the last few years - the tree has shed 2 or 3 large portions of the trunk ( like 1 1/2 ft to 2ft diameter main trunk branches) - but it still won't come down on it's own. I would like to get the tree down - but I'm trying to figure out what my options are. I know my first option is to call a tree service - but if I'm not sure how even they would get in to take the thing down. I'm on a small lot and there is a lot of "stuff" piled up around the base of the tree (pile of brush, large pile of excavated soil, etc). The tree is also within striking distance of the new barn I have built - although I don't think if the whole thing went down it would actually fall that way.

Somebody would probably have to climb it - or a crane would have to get brought in so that a climber could be up there and cut while the crane took the pieces away.

I'm wondering if there is some way to take some of the branches off the thing one at a time and bring the thing down in pieces.

The idea that popped into my head was to get up there - wrap the large branches I want to get down in det cord - and then detonate them off the tree from a safe distance.

The only flaw in that idea is that I can't get det cord.

Is there a way to maybe wrap the branches in a hot wire and burn thru them? Some sort of chemical that could be injected that would eat the branch off the tree.

Looking for any ideas.......

Bear in mind I know I may just have to go with the tree service. I'm just exploring the options.........

/ Alternatives to taking a tree down #2  
Do a search ..here on TBN for Willow tree....there was just a post with a You Tube video of another TBN member who had a huge willow tree taken down...He used a professional tree service and they climbed it and took it down in sections...so if it is close to your house that is what I would recommend you do as well..I have done the same thing in the past.

/ Alternatives to taking a tree down #3  
Some sort of chemical that could be injected that would eat the branch off the tree.

Lead? In other words, how's your shootin'? :)

Neighbor across the street had a couple big pin oaks taken down a year or so ago. The tree service brought in a crane, someone climbed the tree, hooked the crane to a limb, cut that limb and the crane lowered the limb to the ground. The trunks on these trees were 5'-6' in diameter. Was kinda bummed to see them go, they must have been 200+ years old. But there were some issues with them (partially hollow). No idea what he paid, but they had a lot of equipment there for two (or was it three) days.

Keith

/ Alternatives to taking a tree down #4  
Your best bet may be to contact a tree service. As long as the tree is healthy and climable it should not be too hard for an experienced person to take it down in pieces. Unless they are really large and nasty the dirt and brush piles are likely just an inconvenience as limbs can be sawn into manageable chunks once they are down. Or perhaps you can use your tractor to move the brush and dirt piles or to drag large limbs out with a long rope.

It sounds like there is potential for damage if things go wrong and large willows can be difficult to judge. Often some top branches need to be removed first to get it to fall the desired way.

/ Alternatives to taking a tree down #5  
Had a large cottonwood taken down (large= about 36" in diameter; about 90 to 100 feet tall,) that had been hit by lightening (it was only about 15 or 20 foot from the house). The guy brought out a lift; took him 3 days to take down in pieces, another day or so to get the debris hauled off. Cost me $1400; CHEAP! Most estimates were around $2500.

/ Alternatives to taking a tree down
Lead? In other words, how's your shootin'? :)

Neighbor across the street had a couple big pin oaks taken down a year or so ago. The tree service brought in a crane, someone climbed the tree, hooked the crane to a limb, cut that limb and the crane lowered the limb to the ground. The trunks on these trees were 5'-6' in diameter. Was kinda bummed to see them go, they must have been 200+ years old. But there were some issues with them (partially hollow). No idea what he paid, but they had a lot of equipment there for two (or was it three) days.

Keith

That idea actually passed thru my head at one point. A few .50BMG rounds thru it would probably easily take the branches off easily one at a time. I'm in a residential neighborhood - in a heavily populated area. And there are laws against discharging firearms within 200 feet of a dwelling - so (unfortunately) - that idea is a non starter.

Your best bet may be to contact a tree service. As long as the tree is healthy and climable it should not be too hard for an experienced person to take it down in pieces. Unless they are really large and nasty the dirt and brush piles are likely just an inconvenience as limbs can be sawn into manageable chunks once they are down. Or perhaps you can use your tractor to move the brush and dirt piles or to drag large limbs out with a long rope.

It sounds like there is potential for damage if things go wrong and large willows can be difficult to judge. Often some top branches need to be removed first to get it to fall the desired way.

I think in the end that is probably the way it will go. I don't even care if the service comes and just takes the thing down and leaves it there for me to get rid of. My next door neighbor likes to burn stuff so he might even burn it. Willow burns like paper - but it does burn.

/ Alternatives to taking a tree down #8  
I wished it was closer I have a friend looking for sseveral large willow for hhis sawmill order.

I wished it was closer I have a friend looking for sseveral large willow for hhis sawmill order.

Mississippi is a bit far to truck it ;-).

But thanks - you did give me an idea. If I can get somebody to take it down - I might be able to find somebody who wants the wood and will take it away.

/ Alternatives to taking a tree down #10  
it will differ from company to company for "tree service" of what they have as far as equipment. just leave it to them to figure it out, and ask what they will use to take it down,

in Illinois, it has came down to require tree service company's to have extra insurance / bond with state. to many things getting cut down and taking out power or dropping on houses i would assume. i ended up seeing more tree service trucks with man lifts for cutting trees down in small sections after insurance thing went through.

a tree service more likely, has a stump grinder or excavator or backhoe, to get rid of the stump as well.