Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #21  
The problem with a lot of modern cars is there isn’t a lot of room for a spare and the rims have gotten so much bigger. 20” rims are pretty common.

It’s been over 30 years ago but I was making a long trip with a buddy to a car show. A 67 Dodge on a trailer and we blew a tire. The spare tire in the Dodge fit the trailer and we made it home. That spare tire was probably 25 years old too.

Last edited:
   / Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #22  
On the contrare I have a nice little 4x8 m/c trailer. After deciding that I indeed needed a spare tire, just before a trip from Houston to Little Rock to pick up a GoldWing that I purchased online, I bought a nice brand new spare tire for the trailer. After picking up the m/c, I had to spend the night at a motel before returning. Next morning I woke up to find that 'someone' decided they wanted my new spare tire and took it. Never left me a note thanking me either!

After learning a good lesson, now on my 7x20 PJ trailer I had a spare tire mounted on the side and put wheel locks on that sucker. Only problem now is that I've put away the wheel lock key and forgotten where I put it :-( Sometimes I wonder about myself...

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it.
40 ton?

I carried a 20 ton in my log truck. At about 1 pound per ton of jack capacity, you are looking at a 40 pound jack. Most bottle jacks won't fit under a trailer axle once the tire is flat, too tall. If you carry two, then carry a low profile one and a standard one.

I carry a 1.5 ton floor jack, a 6 ton bottle jack, a 3.5 ton handy man and a milk crate full of 2x8 blocks to use as a ramp.

Most horse/stock trailers are 6' wide, no need for tow mirrors.
yeah I screwed that up, typo, is 20 ton. I'll correct that

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #24  
I usually have a high lift jack on the truck, always have a spare and tools. I really like the ramps better with livestock trailers, a few thousand pounds of shifting weight makes a jack interesting.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it.
I usually have a high lift jack on the truck, always have a spare and tools. I really like the ramps better with livestock trailers, a few thousand pounds of shifting weight makes a jack interesting.
good point. suppose it would be hard to chain bind livestock down :)

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #26  
Up here in Michigan you'd be surprised (maybe not) to see all the snowmobile trailers being pulled by trucks and cars with mirrors that they cannot see around the trailers with. Sled trailers are quite wide (usually 102") to accept sleds, side by side and most have those tiny small diameter tires too. Seen many on the side of the road with blown tires because they are a seasonal trailer and owners never check the air pressure or grease the bearings either. At 70+, those tiny tires are spinning at a huge RPM.

but at least all his lights worked...thats something I seldom see.
I see same thing (in Maine) about snowmobile trailers. a 7ft wide open trailer...can do w/o tow mirrors. any sort of (even 7ft single axle) enclosed trailer...need tow mirrors/extensions.
Exactly, which was the first thing I thought of when reading 5030's post. How many times do you get behind somebody with a trailer blocking their vehicle lights; and nothing on the trailer? I was gassing up in Newport a few years ago when somebody from NH pulled in pulling a big camper trailer. I pointed out to them that they had never plugged their 7 pin plug into the tow vehicle; after dragging for 300 miiles it was pretty worthless.

I've often wondered how handy a touchless thermometer would be for checking tires and bearings on the road. I like to check my load every couple of hours.
I’m about to buy a cordless impact for this various reason. I carry trailer spare in truck.
It's a handy tool. I bought a Dewalt a couple of years ago to help put my sawmill together, now I'm lost without it.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #27  
I used to occasionally ask people how long it had been since they checked the spare tire in their vehicle. The last time I asked I was told that's what AAA is for.
About 20 years ago a woman checked into the motel I was staying at. She was travelling from New Brunswick to Quebec in a brand new BMW when she trashed a tire on a construction site. It was an obscure size so they had to special order it; she was stranded there for 4 days. If I spent that much money on a car I would have been so POed I would have traded.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #28  
I was on my way to the cabin this past week and I always turn off at this one spot to the let the dog out. Noticed I had a pretty big spike in the tire.

Casually pulled out my tire plug kit, prepped the plug and pulled out the spike. It took two plugs but I got it.

Proceeded to the cabin 10 minutes later where I put 10 psi in. Then two days later made it home and will take it in for a proper fix later this week.

Carry a plug kit.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #29  
I have always carried a spare with the required tools on my trailers. It must not be too common, as the most recent trailer purchase the dealer looked at me like I had 3 eyes when I had then add a mount and spare.
All of our cars have serviceable spares, tools, plug kit, and a small compressor. Only needed the plug kit and compressor once while on the road... Driving with wife and newborn daughter, got a slow flat from a screw. We pulled off onto a side street and got the evil eye from the house we stopped in front of. The Wife stepped out of the car with the baby and it became a neighborhood emergency! There must have been half a dozen women offering iced tea, air conditioning, husband's help, etc.
Sorry... I'm rambling!

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #30  
I've often wondered how handy a touchless thermometer would be for checking tires and bearings on the road. I like to check my load every couple of hours.

It's a handy tool. I bought a Dewalt a couple of years ago to help put my sawmill together, now I'm lost without it.

I take my infrared thermometer and check the hubs.