>> ALWAYS READY PORTABLE AIR TANK <<

/ >> ALWAYS READY PORTABLE AIR TANK << #1  

BearKiller

Silver Member
This may be old news to some of you, but I thought it may be useful to put here.

Several years ago, I put together a short length of air-hose that has a MALE coupling at both ends, and a ball-cut-off valve.

I parked the portable air-tank next to the air-compressor and quik-coupled it to the air-supply on a line that is regulated to not exceed the portable tank's capacity.

The portable tank is now always FULL and ready to go; I just close the ball-valve and un-couple it from the shop air.

An added benefit is it adds some capacity to the system, before the compressor kicks in.

When time allows, I am going to fix a shelf/cradle that will hold the portable tank UPSIDE-DOWN.

I will devise a water-trap with drain in the air-line below the tank, such that any water will drain from the portable tank and can be bled off.

I have a seldom used outside air connection that I coupled to the other day; it blew pure water for probably five minutes; lesson learned = always hook an open-ended air-nipple to that connection and let the water out, before connecting something that don't need to be wet inside.

Along the same line of thought, back in 1975, they ran the air lines under the concrete floor of the families base-ment tire-shop (new tire sales room upstairs, shop downstairs with drive-around).

Being buried under the concrete, there is no way to drain the water out of the air lines, so making a quik-couple results in getting a shower.:eek:

:rolleyes:Those that make the decisions didn't learn a thing; they built a large addition beside the old one, this time at ground level, and the air lines are still buried in the floor.

ALWAYS run any air lines high over-head so they can drain.:cool:

/ >> ALWAYS READY PORTABLE AIR TANK << #2  
geez this post is somewhat timely. I am about to run permanante plumbing for air hoses for my garage. my plan was to use 1/2 inch cooper tubing with 3 to 4 quick connections at different locations. my concern is the water build up and drainage. I want to run a plasma cutter and need dry air. without going to buy a costly dryer what is the best way to keep water out. may be a series of filters? long runs of hose? I am really looking for some advise. Also the compressor has not run in a couple of years. What is the best way to purge the tank.

/ >> ALWAYS READY PORTABLE AIR TANK << #3  
I love this idea (always ready portable air tank). I'm going to have to do one now :)

/ >> ALWAYS READY PORTABLE AIR TANK <<
geez this post is somewhat timely. I am about to run permanante plumbing for air hoses for my garage. my plan was to use 1/2 inch cooper tubing with 3 to 4 quick connections at different locations. my concern is the water build up and drainage. I want to run a plasma cutter and need dry air. without going to buy a costly dryer what is the best way to keep water out. may be a series of filters? long runs of hose? I am really looking for some advise. Also the compressor has not run in a couple of years. What is the best way to purge the tank.

Anywhere the air line heads down-ward, such as to a quik-coupling or machine, TEE for the coupling at 90* and run a couple more foot of line straight down, preferably into a short section of much larger pipe, with a drain-valve at the bottom of that.

Any water will find it's way down into the dead-end sections of pipe, since they are always the lowest.

You drain the water off regularly; the larger diameter you make the "holding tanks" (pipe), the longer interval before draining is necessary.

Water condensed and standing in such a pipe will not go back into the air-stream.:cool:

/ >> ALWAYS READY PORTABLE AIR TANK << #5  
There are a lot of company's that sell the auto water drains. Includes timer for duration of open valve and number of days for drain interval.

/ >> ALWAYS READY PORTABLE AIR TANK <<
I love this idea (always ready portable air tank). I'm going to have to do one now :)

I'm glad you like it.

Even a slow dog like me trees once in a while.;)

/ >> ALWAYS READY PORTABLE AIR TANK << #7  
Loving that idea! Another 'keeper' from the TBN board! Thanks so much! ~Scotty

/ >> ALWAYS READY PORTABLE AIR TANK << #8  
I have a double male adapter I use to fill my air tank. It's an old refrigerant tank with an inlet valve so I can shut that valve and disconnect the supply quick-connect. Sequence is important. I never really thought about leaving it connected all the time. Actually I shut a valve to isolate the tank when it's not running and the lines slowly leak down. It does fill fast and I can use the tank to run a small nailer, etc.

Brad

/ >> ALWAYS READY PORTABLE AIR TANK << #9  
Go to the TP Tools web site. They sell sandblasters, air equipment (compressors, filters, regulators, etc.) and automotive body finishing equipment. Included in there is a pretty nice, highly recommended layout for running air supply lines from an air compressor.

/ >> ALWAYS READY PORTABLE AIR TANK << #10  
I have the same setup as Brad does. Its great for hands free filling. ANd the disconnect sequence is VERY important:D:D

Its nice to have a quick connect on the tank, while its not alot of air, ive used my portable to run a air gun for a short time to loosen a stuck lug.

Ill take a couple snaps when im in the barn again