Amazon v/s Walmart

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #31  
Another vote for amazon prime.

We live in a small town that has lost most of the retail. The nearest Wallmart is an hours drive.

Prime pays for itself in shipping many times over.

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #32  
I shop Amazon to find what I want, read the reviews, then see if I can buy the same item off eBay. If Amazon is the best deal, then I buy it there.

I tend to bunch my orders, so I haven't found the Prime option worth the money. I did get Prime free for a month one December and it was great for Christmas shopping.

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #33  
Some of the other things you talked about may be much worse, but this not knowing when you're going to work or going to get off isn't exactly new. I went to work as a clerk in the Dallas Post Office in March, 1959. In those days, new clerks (and mail carriers) were known as "Subs"; i.e., substitutes. When we got off work, we checked a bulletin board to see what time to come to work tomorrow. It could be any time, but usually was between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. And you got off work when the supervisor told you to go home. You were guaranteed 2 hours and couldn't be required to stay more than 12, so you got off work sometime in there.:laughing:

But as with most jobs, much depended on the employee. A lot of subs complained that they weren't getting enough hours to make a living; some even quit for that reason. But all of us newer clerks started our day on the 3rd floor, running cancelling machines and doing the initial sorting of mail that had been mailed all over town that day. But through a little observation and just a few questions, I learned that when told to go home, some of the guys would go to the second floor where outgoing parcel post was sorted, and ask a supervisor if he needed more help. If not, then go to the 4th floor where they were sorting incoming mail and ask a supervisor there if he needed more help.

Those of us who did a decent job soon found those supervisors coming to the 3rd floor before we got off there to ask us to come help them when we were told to go home. It soon got to be a standing joke for 5 of us to ask if we could go home as soon as we got to work.:laughing: So I only averaged 48 hours a week; and almost never less than 40.

When I first started out in the auto plants, it was common to move around after 8 hours. I worked in one plant, I built new fixtures for 8 hours, then worked fixture repair for whatever I could stand. That could be pretty intense, since they needed everything done right NOW! My personal best was 22 hours, getting a gage working. I didn't come into work the next day, so it didn't help the old paycheck much!!

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #34  
We had so much work in the electronics industry back in the early 80's we were doing 60 or more hours a week usually 10-12hr days M-F and Saturdays too. At one point all it seemed was that I was living to work and had several uncashed paychecks in my pocket at any given time. There was just no time to do anything. The reg schedule was 15 min break 9 am, 20 min paid lunch noon, a 15 min break at 2pm and if you stayed on to 7pm the company fought with the union over having another meal break at 5:30pm. The company view was you were going to leave in 90 min after that but some labor law stated you couldnt go 6 straight hours without a meal break so it was a point of contention. Burn out came quick and when employees started refusing OT and requested additonal staffing instead it quickly become what was called forced overtime thru contractural union negotiations and everyone had to participate if the job required it.

You know what my new agricultural career isnt much different these days either :D

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #35  
Yes I did, Ever try to return something? I had to pay shipping and I still don't have credit for it after 3 weeks. I'm done with that scam
This was a response to a reply about Yesterdays Tractor parts

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #36  
After a bad experience with eBay/PayPal I swore I'd never use eBay again, that was until I found something I simply couldn't resist. However, I chose the "checkout as guest" option and used my credit card so I'd be covered if there were any problems. I also ensured that the seller had good feedback, etc...

I have had all good experiences with E-bay and never an issue with Pay Pal...
I typically do not buy stuff from Amazon...
I do buy some stuff from Wal mart...
My best buys concerning equipment have come from Craigs List...
Just have to be patient...
I am now looking at the state surplus site here in NC...
The problem with that is that it is sealed bid and stuff typically goes higher than I am willing to spend...
Logistics play a role also...

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #37  
In the context of this thread of Walmart vs Amazon, if the comparison goes beyond price and service, it is likely that the average Walmart store employee is treated much better than the average order picker at Amazon. Though I know the Walmart distribution warehouses that feed the stores run a very tight ship too.

I imagine most of us have done hard work, repetitive work and demanding work at some point in our lives. That can range from turning out a couple thousand lines of programming that actually works and works quickly under a deadline, to getting a rush mold job done at a Tool & Die shop, or working on an assembly line.

Work is work, and the trains have to run on time, but I think respecting people matters too. By default, consumers become the ultimate judge of that quality.

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #38  
I buy from Amazon and Wal-Mart mostly because I need to watch my dollars as much as possible but I have mixed feelings about both.

I can ignore the "Walmartians" who look like they eat their young no problem. What I do not like is Wal-Marts practice of jamming the aisles up so much it is hard to get around and could be dangerous in an emergency. Then there is the "China" connection but then one could say that NAFTA opened that flood gate.

My issue with Amazon is not so much the avantage warehouses have over brick and mortar stores because that is changing. My issue is how they treat people. Yes, it is true that people have a choice or do they? Anyone living around an Amazon distribution center may have noticed the ads from their staffing agency during peak times.

Amazon has a warehouse in Foglesville, PA which is basically Allentown or the Lehigh Valley area which is covered by the Morning Call newspaper. Seems the paper may be on a which hunt or perhaps the truth but they ran an expose' on working conditions at that Amazon location. Another article followed up on arbitration meetings over firings vs. collecting unemployment. Not very flattering to say the least.

/ Amazon v/s Walmart
Then there is the "China" connection but then one could say that NAFTA opened that flood gate.

One of these days, businesses will finally wake up and realize that Americans can't afford to but their China-made crap if they don't have jobs. Then again, I can't blame businesses for wanting to find cheaper labor, due to Unions, etc... The entire "system" is a disaster in the making.

/ Amazon v/s Walmart #40  
One of these days, businesses will finally wake up and realize that Americans can't afford to but their China-made crap if they don't have jobs. Then again, I can't blame businesses for wanting to find cheaper labor, due to Unions, etc... The entire "system" is a disaster in the making.
It is us the consumers that buy at the lowest price. Business is just giving us what we want.